New Computer !!!!!

neil

Legendary member
Just got a new HP computer. Problem is when I open pages something called Astomenda! appears whereas I was expecting Microsoft!!
Downloaded Google Chrome thinking it would be better - still got annoying ads but nothing like the Astro thingy page>
I just want an AD FREE pages on either Explorer or Google. Explorer is the worst -when I opened it after buying I was bombarded with a horde of Ads making it difficult to sort out which was part of Explorer set up or pure ads????
I just want an ad free browser for IG index etc.
I would pull out my hair but nature has done most of that.
Help please:cry:

Add the Adbloc add-on to google chrome and all should be ok. You do this by clicking on "Settings" (which is found usually at the top right of the browser where the 3 horizontal bars icon is found) and then selecting "Extensions" and then you should be able to search for it and add it.

Just got a new HP computer. Problem is when I open pages something called Astomenda! appears whereas I was expecting Microsoft!!
Downloaded Google Chrome thinking it would be better - still got annoying ads but nothing like the Astro thingy page>
I just want an AD FREE pages on either Explorer or Google. Explorer is the worst -when I opened it after buying I was bombarded with a horde of Ads making it difficult to sort out which was part of Explorer set up or pure ads????
I just want an ad free browser for IG index etc.
I would pull out my hair but nature has done most of that.
Help please:cry:

If you feel confident enough to tinker with your PC: run the Microsoft program (included in Windows as standard) "msconfig.exe". You can then select a tab which gives you control over which programs are allowed to start when you switch on your computer. You'll be surprised at how many crapware programs there are.

You can also achieve the same with the free Malwarebytes product start-up lite available here https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/ or just Google it if the link is not allowed to be published.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps

Add the Adbloc add-on to google chrome and all should be ok. You do this by clicking on "Settings" (which is found usually at the top right of the browser where the 3 horizontal bars icon is found) and then selecting "Extensions" and then you should be able to search for it and add it.

Looking good so far:)

Yeah, honestly IE is pretty much the crapware installed on the computer at this point. just about ANYTHING else is worth it.

Most mainstream browsers have a plathera of Anti-Ad extensions/addons.

I personally prefer Midori though. It uses much less resources than Firefox or Chrome. But to each their own opinions.

I've used both Chrome and Firefox, and found Firefox to be better. I used AdBlock Plus on both, and on Chrome, I ocassionally still got YouTube ads.

I'd also suggest installing Greasemonkey in your browser. They have tons of scripts to block ads and other annoyances, some designed for a specific website. I used to have a script that actually blocked ads and extended the chart all the way on FreeStockCharts, but it hasn't been working anymore.

I have actually begun to prefer Firefox at this point too. I was a Chrome user for a long time, but the flash and the extensions are more robust IMHO.
Microsoft is releasing a new browser with the Windows 10, though, (Spartan I believe?) and IE is going the way of Mosaic and Netscape :)