My Story moving to NYC to join a Prop Trading Desk -- from newb to pro trader

peterkto

I moved to NYC to become a prop trader back in 2011. It's a well known firm that's been discussed on trading forums as early as 2009 with a mixed consensus -- some people said it was legit and some people called it an arcade unlike "real firms" First New York, Jane Street, etc. I read all of that and decided to take the plunge at that firm anyway. In 2011-2012, I was just a newb trader barely performing better than minimum wage and thinking maybe the firm really was just social media hype that I fell for.. then 2013+, things changed big. It's a great inside look at the traditional prop desk industry and people tell me it's a funny read. It's updated semi-daily and I'm not selling anything.

I was featured on ChatWithTraders Episode 98 once, if that means anything for sake of credibility. There's at least 3 other CWT guests in my posts, though all names have been changed. It's not just my story but the story of our fledging trading desk. I call back on actual trades executed from all the back then and the real-time emotions I experienced. There's a lot of 2012 stuff going on--Linsanity, superstorm Sandy, the beginning of AAPL's decade of dominance, the Facebook IPO...

If you enjoy it, please pass it around! I genuinely think I have the most unique trading blog out (started from 2014) there except if you google "best trading blogs" I won't be anywhere in there. I'm trying to promote myself a bit even though it feels strange.

https://churningandburning.com/category/prop-trader-series

New post and I think it's a fun one -- a bit about MBC's past, me trading more biotechs, and a new trader graph I call The Pain/Time Matrix

image-39-1024x793.png

Hey Peter, only part way through so far, but I'm enjoying reading this. Thanks for posting, and keep it up !

Hey Peter, only part way through so far, but I'm enjoying reading this. Thanks for posting, and keep it up !
Thank you :)

Glad to have you as my first reply in this thread after almost two months. Every reader is appreciated.

Entertaining.😶 Reads like the screenplay of one of those movies where there are intriguiing things going on which are just outside the viewer's understanding. Whatever it is, is working. But do the players really understand?