My second demo trade is bugging me.. alot!

Scotty2Cues

Established member
Hi,

this is my second demo trade. It is the EUR/JPY daily. At the close on the 15th April there was a double bar high lower close. The larger blue rectangle is a support/resistance zone on the 4hr.

I placed my sell order just below this zone at 125.65 and went to bed. I overslept and looked at the chart about 9am GMT next day. I was about 60pips in profit but it had dropped 100 pips. I was annoyed (i didnt expect it to happen so soon).

I moved my stop to break even. My stop was touched (it didnt go any higher) and I watched as I missed out on 170 pip profit.

Should I have moved my stop to break even. Should I have just closed the order at 50 pip profit.

Still annoyed

Thanks

Attachments

• eur_jpy.gif
    eur_jpy.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 951
I would be more annoyed about not having a proper exit strategy in place. You should be trading for the skill and experience at this stage. In this example if the move continues beyond your take profit point reflect upon your strategy (say for example take a 70% out at 50 pips then move change the stop break even on the remaining 30% and trail it 50 points). But never and I mean never get upset and emotional about not squeezing maximum profit from a trade. Plan to trade and trade to plan and stick to it. Exit strategy should be your first consideration.

Last edited:
I would be more annoyed about not having a proper exit strategy in place. You should be trading for the skill and experience at this stage. In this example if the move continues beyond your take profit point reflect upon your strategy (say for example take a 70% out at 50 pips then move change the stop break even on the remaining 30% and trail it 50 points). But never and I mean never get upset and emotional about not squeezing maximum profit from a trade. Plan to trade and trade to plan and stick to it. Exit strategy should be your first consideration.

thanks. I never really thought about exit strategy except moving stop to BE quickly and trying 'wing' as much profit as possible. Now realise how important it is. Will definitely put one in place on my next trade.

I moved my stop to break even. My stop was touched (it didnt go any higher) and I watched as I missed out on 170 pip profit.

No surprises there.

If you want to actually make money, don't ever move a stop to breakeven for the sake of being at breakeven.

Hi,

this is my second demo trade. It is the EUR/JPY daily. At the close on the 15th April there was a double bar high lower close. The larger blue rectangle is a support/resistance zone on the 4hr.

I placed my sell order just below this zone at 125.65 and went to bed. I overslept and looked at the chart about 9am GMT next day. I was about 60pips in profit but it had dropped 100 pips. I was annoyed (i didnt expect it to happen so soon).

Should I have moved my stop to break even. Should I have just closed the order at 50 pip profit.

Still annoyed

Thanks

Are you trading price action based on the james16 methods on forexfactory.com? It certainly looks like it. I spent some time studying his stuff and whilst it gives good entries the targets are somewhat vague. I trade much shorter timeframes but my targets would be the next area of support or resistance, in your case maybe the high of 12 March or the low of 8 April, both of which are support levels, at least in my eyes. First level was about +100 pips on a trade with about 130 pips risk, not great.

To be honest I look for PINs as they normally have lower risk. Outside bars and TBHLC are generally big bars with big risk.

Moving stops to BE normally results in getting them hit, just have a look back and see how often profitable trades come back to BE.

Last edited:
No surprises there.

If you want to actually make money, don't ever move a stop to breakeven for the sake of being at breakeven.

why is it wrong to move the stop to BE? I maybe should have closed 50% then moved to BE. There are gonna be times when my stop isnt hit and times when I dont move the stop to BE that I lose money.

Are you trading price action based on the james16 methods on forexfactory.com? It certainly looks like it. I spent some time studying his stuff and whilst it gives good entries the targets are somewhat vague. I trade much shorter timeframes but my targets would be the next area of support or resistance, in your case maybe the high of 12 March or the low of 8 April, both of which are support levels, at least in my eyes. First level was about +100 pips on a trade with about 130 pips risk, not great.

To be honest I look for PINs as they normally have lower risk. Outside bars and TBHLC are generally big bars with big risk.

Moving stops to BE normally results in getting them hit, just have a look back and see how often profitable trades come back to BE.

yeah its J16. Exit strategies seem like a personal thing. I should have been at the screen earlier to catch that profit

You should stop trading now and read 'Trading in the zone' by Mark Douglas, otherwise there is absolutely no hope. There isnt a magic formula for how to trade, that's why its so difficult. If you keep changing your rules based on what happened the last time you traded then you'll get nowhere.

Tell me you're not trading real money.

You should stop trading now and read 'Trading in the zone' by Mark Douglas, otherwise there is absolutely no hope. There isnt a magic formula for how to trade, that's why its so difficult. If you keep changing your rules based on what happened the last time you traded then you'll get nowhere.

Tell me you're not trading real money.

"...second demo trade..."

so no its not real money and i dont have any exit strategy rules to change yet

read 'Trading in the zone' or there is absolutely no hope?????????
you a betting man? :cool:

"...second demo trade..."

so no its not real money and i dont have any exit strategy rules to change yet

read 'Trading in the zone' or there is absolutely no hope?????????
you a betting man? :cool:

Glad to hear its demo only, seriously though that book can help.

why is it wrong to move the stop to BE? I maybe should have closed 50% then moved to BE. There are gonna be times when my stop isnt hit and times when I dont move the stop to BE that I lose money.

Why is it wrong to move to BE? OK, perhaps I came across as too heavy handed. It's not for me to say anything is "wrong" but I've got a good deal of experience with the "breakeven move" having seen it severely hinder performance in both my own account and others.

Infact one of the biggest and most successful professional traders I have ever worked with, who used to get sick of me ranting about "how I would still be in if I hadn't moved my stop to lock in profit" told me in plain English that I was a c*nt for moving the stop to breakeven. (I'm not sure if he was that polite). Since I stopped doing it, I've never looked back.

Remember, I've traded the J16 strategy. Infact, I pretty much re-taught it so again, it's not a subject I'm unfamiliar with. It is my statistically proven experience that moving to breakeven will turn it from a winning strategy to a losing one. As will taking 50% off and moving to breakeven. All that doing that will mean is that you bank 50% when you win and lose 100% when it goes wrong.

This is because almost every single time it makes absolutely no sense in the context of where the market is trading. If, for example, you take a trade at the top of a pin, you are entering in the middle of no-mans land after the market has moved away from support. The market knows about previous highs. It knows about previous lows. It knows about support. It knows about resistance. It knows about patterns. It does not know about where Scotty2Cues entered and has a risk free trade.

So what does it mean when it comes back and takes you out?

Does it mean your analysis was wrong?

Hell, no.

So what does it mean?

Sweet FA.

That's the sad thing about it. It means you just got shaken out of what could (and usually is) a great trade because you were afraid to take a loser.

As a result, you just don't get anywhere by using this BE move that one sees touted everywhere.

If you don't believe me on any of this, try it yourself.

J16 himself argues in favour of the BE stop but you have to remember a few things:

1) He is trading an account that is far larger than 99.9% of everyone he teaches.

2) He never takes full bar losses.

3) He doesn't seem to give a flying f*ck when a market that he was in goes to the moon, or at least he never moans about it.

4) Most of his trades seem to get to the first problem area so he almost always gets some profit anyway. Infact his strike rate is partly the reason why his strategy makes money at all since if you use full bar stops, the R:R on most of those trades I've seen called is not particularly appealing.

When you consider point 2 in particular it does perhaps make a little more sense for him.

Still, I'm coming to believe more and more after listening to people and seeing for myself that, as Spanish89 once said and I foolishly ridiculed him for, a stop is more about making the broker money than protecting your account if you are inexperienced in this game.

I'm not saying that traders shouldn't use stops (although I don't use them in the way most do) but I am saying that most new traders are taught ALWAYS USE A STOP. It's like the first rule that is thrown in their face and yet they don't have the experience to know where to put them. Thus, inevitably they:

a) put them in the worst place

b) move them every two minutes to try and greedily lock in every cent of profit only to see the market naturally retrace and knock them out and then go the way they intended

The only thing stops are good for is for those people that are:

a) unable to check in on the markets or ;

b) liable to get married to a position and need to rely on the broker to get them out because they can't face taking the pain themselves.

If you can honestly say that neither of the above apply to you then personally, I would demo another method alongside your existing one. In this "new" or "other" style, try taking a position with no stop at all. Don't put a stop in during any part of the trade. Not at the beginning when you take it and not during it when it is offside or massively in profit. Review the trade every hour (if you trade off the hourly) or every day (if you trade off the daily) etc and ask yourself: if I was not in this, is this a buy or a sell? Make sure that when you ask yourself this, you cannot see your P&L. If it still looks good, stay in it, if you are now unsure or if your opinion now runs counter to your original entry, simply close the trade.

I will be very surprised if you don't do better.

Last edited:
Why is it wrong to move to BE? OK, perhaps I came across as too heavy handed. It's not for me to say anything is "wrong" but I've got a good deal of experience with the "breakeven move" having seen it severely hinder performance in both my own account and others.

Infact one of the biggest and most successful professional traders I have ever worked with, who used to get sick of me ranting about "how I would still be in if I hadn't moved my stop to lock in profit" told me in plain English that I was a c*nt for moving the stop to breakeven. (I'm not sure if he was that polite). Since I stopped doing it, I've never looked back.

Remember, I've traded the J16 strategy. Infact, I pretty much re-taught it so again, it's not a subject I'm unfamiliar with. It is my statistically proven experience that moving to breakeven will turn it from a winning strategy to a losing one. As will taking 50% off and moving to breakeven. All that doing that will mean is that you bank 50% when you win and lose 100% when it goes wrong.

This is because almost every single time it makes absolutely no sense in the context of where the market is trading. If, for example, you take a trade at the top of a pin, you are entering in the middle of no-mans land after the market has moved away from support. The market knows about previous highs. It knows about previous lows. It knows about support. It knows about resistance. It knows about patterns. It does not know about where Scotty2Cues entered and has a risk free trade.

So what does it mean when it comes back and takes you out?

Does it mean your analysis was wrong?

Hell, no.

So what does it mean?

Sweet FA.

That's the sad thing about it. It means you just got shaken out of what could (and usually is) a great trade because you were afraid to take a loser.

As a result, you just don't get anywhere by using this BE move that one sees touted everywhere.

If you don't believe me on any of this, try it yourself.

J16 himself argues in favour of the BE stop but you have to remember a few things:

1) He is trading an account that is far larger than 99.9% of everyone he teaches.

2) He never takes full bar losses.

3) He doesn't seem to give a flying f*ck when a market that he was in goes to the moon, or at least he never moans about it.

4) Most of his trades seem to get to the first problem area so he almost always gets some profit anyway. Infact his strike rate is partly the reason why his strategy makes money at all since if you use full bar stops, the R:R on most of those trades I've seen called is not particularly appealing.

When you consider point 2 in particular it does perhaps make a little more sense for him.

Still, I'm coming to believe more and more after listening to people and seeing for myself that, as Spanish89 once said and I foolishly ridiculed him for, a stop is more about making the broker money than protecting your account if you are inexperienced in this game.

I'm not saying that traders shouldn't use stops (although I don't use them in the way most do) but I am saying that most new traders are taught ALWAYS USE A STOP. It's like the first rule that is thrown in their face and yet they don't have the experience to know where to put them. Thus, inevitably they:

a) put them in the worst place

b) move them every two minutes to try and greedily lock in every cent of profit only to see the market naturally retrace and knock them out and then go the way they intended

The only thing stops are good for is for those people that are:

a) unable to check in on the markets or ;

b) liable to get married to a position and need to rely on the broker to get them out because they can't face taking the pain themselves.

If you can honestly say that neither of the above apply to you then personally, I would demo another method alongside your existing one. In this "new" or "other" style, try taking a position with no stop at all. Don't put a stop in during any part of the trade. Not at the beginning when you take it and not during it when it is offside or massively in profit. Review the trade every hour (if you trade off the hourly) or every day (if you trade off the daily) etc and ask yourself: if I was not in this, is this a buy or a sell? Make sure that when you ask yourself this, you cannot see your P&L. If it still looks good, stay in it, if you are now unsure or if your opinion now runs counter to your original entry, simply close the trade.

I will be very surprised if you don't do better.

Thanks for that. Seems like some of the experienced over in J16 have also stopped taking partial profit but doesnt seem right when taking 50% and moving to BE means "50% profits when you win and lose 100% when you are wrong" does it? sometimes after banking 50% we will catch a runner for more?

As for not using a stop I could see myself saying "just a few more pips, ok just a few more, just a few more...." then find myself on a loss. Think I need a safety net at the mo. How about trailing stops (esp when is large profit?

But then again when seeing the trade go into your first trouble area. Taking off 50% and moving stop to BE hoping to catch the rest for a runner seems a good idea....

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Seems like some of the experienced over in J16 have also stopped taking partial profit but doesnt seem right when taking 50% and moving to BE means "50% profits when you win and lose 100% when you are wrong" does it? sometimes after banking 50% we will catch a runner for more?

As for not using a stop I could see myself saying "just a few more pips, ok just a few more, just a few more...." then find myself on a loss. Think I need a safety net at the mo. How about trailing stops (esp when is large profit?

But then again when seeing the trade go into your first trouble area. Taking off 50% and moving stop to BE hoping to catch the rest for a runner seems a good idea....

Where are you going to take off 50%, at half way to your target?

:cry: just happened again!!!!!

missing out on 130 pips at least. sell order kicked in at 1.01290, 30pip profit, moved to BE, BE touched then this

Attachments

• usdcad.gif
    usdcad.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 723

missing out on 130 pips at least. sell order kicked in at 1.01290, 30pip profit, moved to BE, BE touched then this

Youve gone to the trouble of marking in a support/resistance area, would that not have been a logical target to go for? Would have worked.

Most brokers happily give free trading information on "how to". Including where to place stops, trailing stops, breakeven stops, etc. Naturally all the new accounts follows these great free trading lessons and all place their stops in the same area. Broker then licks chops and everyone gets stopped out. Never forget in forex your broker is not your friend and is actually trading against you in most cases. Did you ever wonder why your stop gets touched right down to the exact pip then reverses? It ain't bad luck.

On a good note at least you are asking questions, now you just have to listen to the answers!

HAPPY TRADING,

Peter

And if you had followed my advice you would have caught the whole move.

How many times do you want to make the same mistake?

Forget about the one time that BE stops you taking a loss.

If you are scared to take a loss after being in profit you shouldn't be trading.

BE is bullsh*t nine times out of ten.

FFS I'd love to read your journal emotions when you finally go live trading real money...Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, do a journal and lots of vids...in fact can we book you in at Dignitas now and cash in on your self made snuff video showing a trader's suicide...:p