my journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. how shall I say this...
I've privately offered travis my help for his trading, but unfortunately I was a little bit disappointed when he wasn't much interested. Travis my offer still stands. Maybe you will learn something important that can significantly improve your trading results.

Yes, thanks. Others have been disappointed before... but remember, I tend to prefer doing everything by myself... I don't get along with people for too long... let's meet on msn to discuss trading and everything else.

Yes, thanks. But remember, I tend to prefer doing everything by myself... I don't get along with people for too long... let's meet on msn to discuss trading and everything else.

As said I've switched to Linux and that I think msn requires windows and netmeeting or what it's called. Really, I've lost interest in chatting and conferencing/webcam things long ago. So why should I do things I don't like? No thanks. PM or email is sufficient for this.

PM back and forth with having to insert all those codes? Mmh... I'll think about it. I am so sorry... but actually I really do not feel like I need any help. Do not be offended. I've said the same thing to everyone. Give me advice here on the journal. It's much easier to post back and forth here than to PM.

To start working together on systems automation and similar you do need chat.

PM back and forth with having to insert all those codes? Mmh... I'll think about it. I am so sorry... but actually I really do not feel like I need any help. Do not be offended. I've said the same thing to everyone. Give me advice here on the journal. It's much easier to post back and forth here than to PM.
To start working together on systems automation and similar you do need chat.

travis, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation :)
Do you really think I should post such secret trading methods of mine to the public?
Hey, in this business you must have an "edge" over the others, did you forgot that?
Never mind, I wish you much luck, you will need it.

I came across your blog via google, having not visited t2w for a long time. I've read at least 20+ pages of it by now.

When I started out about 5 years ago, we had a lot on common, which is why I kept on reading (despite the freakiness of the blog at times.. not to say we aren't all irrational sometimes... just most of us don't document it in anywhere near this detail or in real time).

Anyhow, I blew out twice. Have probably lost $75k to date, but this has reversed in the past year or so. I'm learning still but far less of that early crazy impulsiveness. And much more relaxed these days too. The main advantage is far fewer big drawdowns. Amazingly the upside has not suffered as much as I would have thought. +50% in 6 months.

Here are a few comments that may help you:

1) I got kind of scared when I saw the hotkeys you had set up on IB! That would be far too risky for me. And especially considering your compulsive nature. I understand you have a stop programmed in there, but what is to prevent you from clicking that hot key 50 times in a day? Or doubling up on losers etc? Its just too easy. I think you should erase these at once.

2) And what about longer timeframes that are more considered and less impulsive? (this is the direction I have gone... can't really look at anything less than 1-hour bars). By focusing on doing the right thing (no hotkeys), you have to calculate your stops each time... it focused the mind on what you could expect to get out and what you can take as a drawdown (that risk/reward you apparently don't like). It means you are looking at highs and lows to place your stops around, not just some arbitrary 20 pips

3) You have obviously done some things right in the past. Doubling or tripling an account is good going. Blowing it out sucks. Now we know how you have blown it out, but what were you doing then? And what changed? Maybe good to focus on the positives...

all the best

It's a very good post - for once I don't get criticized. It's also always a pleasure to find out someone's been reading my journal and enjoying it.

I read your previous 3 posts and saw that you took my same route (at least back in 2004): trading systems. I don't know if you took it one step further, into fully automated trading. I did, and I am satisfied about that part. Except I'd need much more capital to make it work properly. That's all figured out, though. The automated trading part. It was lacking good money management, but that's taken care of, too. The automated trading part can make money and can make money consistently: I am confident about that. But in the initial stage, unless I want to make my money management too risky, capital will be increased very slowly - especially with a small capital.

Now, the discretionary part. Why do I have to do it? Two reasons or three.

1) Personal challenge: I don't like to give up on discretionary trading, as if I were so bad that I can't learn it like other people did.

2) Need to increase my account. As I said, my capital is too small for good automated trading (at least with the crappy systems I have created).

3) Usefulness of keeping in touch with the markets. As I keep on looking at the markets from time to time, via discretionary trading, I may get new ideas for systems, which is how i developed my 42 systems to begin with. Many of them by observing the markets and implementing my ideas, others by backtesting my hypotheses, seeing I was wrong, and modifying them.

Now, your suggestions.

1) I know what you say: stop the hotkeys or you'll make it too easy for you to gamble. But that's not how I want to stop gambling, by tying my hands, by blocking my actions... I want to solve the problem at the root. The addiction should not be there. I can only stop gambling by removing the addiction, but all these methods to slow myself down, to tie my hands, have not worked so far. Also, someone else said "get a life". That's also no good, because then if one day, that person who keeps you company disappears, you might relapse. You've got to learn to be in control even when you're depressed, bored, frustrated... you must simply look elsewhere for fun, excitement, action... you must remove trading as a source of fun. Look: I have fire in my house. When I was a child I used to play with fire. Now, regardless of how frustrated I am, I don't set things on fire, do I? The same has to be for trading. You don't remove knives from your house because you might get depressed and kill yourself or someone else. I must see trading like stuff that can do damage, like fire and knives. I don't go into the kitchen and juggle knives just because I am bored or frustrated. So I should not go to gamble with my money for the same reasons. Maybe a part of the problem is that to me until now money was monopoly money, because I hadn't really made a plan to ever quit my job, despite saying it. Now maybe the fact that I started this journal means that unconsciously I was looking for a way to get more serious about my plan/dream. So, summary: let's try to remove the problem at the root.

2) The 20 ticks have been backtested: they're not chosen randomly or by rule of thumb estimates. Those are the moves that are caught more easily by my system. Longer timeframes need larger stoplosses in my opinion. That system you saw is the best I could create, and I am positive that, if followed, it is profitable. Positive. But that presumes I follow it and don't do other things because one trade and 3 trades per week do not entertain me enough. Since trading was my only pastime and source of distraction, entertainment, satisfaction... it's been hard to do so. When I'll be bored, I'll have to learn to look in other directions. The first step was realizing what my problem was: 3 months ago I had no idea. The second step was realizing what the solution might be. The third step will be having the will to implement that solution.

3) The good is the automated part. The systems do not have any addiction to trading (feel no impatience, no boredom), so they make money. I think I have what it takes to also make money with discretionary trading, as long as I limit my trades to about one trade per day, on average. I think the objective of the journal, despite not being fully aware of it when I started it, might have been to stop my trading addiction, and only trade to make money, which should mean making money with trading, a new experience to me. 12 years of looking at the markets is enough to develop an edge. I am positive I have an edge. I definitely did not have a good method to benefit from that edge, from that understanding of the markets. I didn't have a good money management. If you expect to make 10 trades per day, your or at least my edge will not be enough. Also, if you expect to never be wrong, then you're going to be in trouble.

I don't know how to describe precisely and thoroughly all the issues at stake, but what I said should convey a pretty clear picture of my ideas and on the situation as far as your points.

Thanks, all the best to you as well.

I see you are someone who doesn't give up. Now perseverance is pretty unusual, so pat on the back.

One area you really need to examine is this "2) Need to increase my account." as a reason for discretionary trading rather than your systems. I take all your points about learning from the markets (in fact, taking some nasty losses were a good way for me to learn to trade natural gas futures). However, you have shown over some months that the discretionary side may do well occasionally, but then you blow it out on an uncontrolled / bad / emotional / addicted (take your pick) day. Basically a lot of work down the drain in an afternoon.

I'm sure you are familiar with Market Wizards & Ed Seykota... the old "everyone gets what they want from the market"... maybe you are getting what you want! My recommendation would therefore be to truly examine your motives. Write them down. Do you see conflict? If so, you are effectively wearing different hats at different times. Some are winners and others lead to losing. But controlling which is in charge of you isn't possible (because its all you!). In my opinion, for any long term discretionary trading success, you will need to sort out these internal conflicts.

My concern is that this is what you have tried to do with your blog but it isn't helping sufficiently. In that case, perhaps its pure and simple addiction, in which case you either stick to systems or stop trading all together...

I don't think I can help more than this. But these are things I have been through myself, so I do know what I'm talking about. And this is the extent of my 'wisdom' as far as advice goes!

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, and thanks for taking the time to read and give your thoughtful and respectful opinion.

My answer to you is all into my head. I could develop it further, by answering in detail what your sentences make me think of, but I'd go on forever. And then I'd summarize my points. So I'll just summarize my points without getting lost into details.

The summary is this: this journal is a new experience. It's not like I've been writing it forever and haven't gotten anywhere. Just 3 months of it so far. And a lot of progress came from it, and from the interaction with readers like you, who do a lot simply by caring. Maybe I don't care, and maybe as you hypothesize, I even want to hurt myself. But maybe I will care to not hurt myself just in order not to disappoint the readers. I see some readers who care about my gambling more than I do - that's how it feels sometimes. So I will probably end my gambling also thanks to that.

I could also settle for less: just quit discretionary and do automated. I've done that before, and I know I can do it. But I am more ambitious and I want to be able to learn to make some money with some discretionary trading. Maybe I'll stop discretionary trading later, but I want to learn to control myself first, I want to lose the trading addiction and learn to see trading only as a source of income: not as source of income + videogame, and even less as just a videogame. I want to first turn my compulsive gambling into discretionary trading. Then, my job will be done. Then I can quit. And, if I were ever to resume, I'd resume the right approach to trading, not the compulsive gambling approach.

About my perseverance, and not giving up despite getting hit incessantly by the markets, I remembered this scene:

About taking losses, I'll have to learn from this other movie instead:

Last edited:
One final thought... the model you have been describing requires you to sit and stare and constantly check when your rules are satisfied. Its also very short timeframes, which means you can easily miss an entry.

Shouldn't this model be automated? You could then focus your discretionary trading on what we humans do better on a discretionary basis, namely more analysis and longer timeframes.

By the way, how have you automated your other models? Via IB and their excel API, or?

dog4

I've written these things before, so I'll summarize the answer (use the "search thread" feature to find more on the subject). I automated my systems via excel. As far as the manual/discretionary method, there's only a small risk of missing entries and no need for constant monitoring. I can't automate this system because I can't backtest nor automate many of its elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.