my journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
...no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises please.

In a sense that's me talking: I don't want any more surprises from my money management. That's why I've added yet another column. This time the column will consider not the max drawdown, but the maximum loss by a system. I am not allowing any system to trade if it loses more than 10% of my capital on its worst trade. For example, I got CL systems that lost as much as 2000 on a trade. Or one of the EUR systems. They won't be trading until I'll have 20k. Also, I am not allowing any systems to trade that have not made at least 800 dollars in their forward testing. By now I'm up to 5 different money management filters. I do suck at formulas but I've spent so much time on these formulas that they are ok. No reckless system will get through these filters, no matter how desperate I am for capital.

This was the purpose of my paying for my mistakes. The loss and lack of capital is making me develop very tight money management which would not have been the case if I had earned money by trading a large capital with stocks (futures are the only way to find out if you've figured out the markets or not: with stocks it could take you five years to find out you didn't understand anything). And then I might have lost it all later. That's why we should all raise our own capital by trading and not be given any. That's the only way to learn how to keep it.

All these systems and money management formulas would not be here if I hadn't screwed up and suffered so much until now because of low capital. My automated systems would not be here if I hadn't been so bad at discretionary trading. My addiction and compulsive gambling has made me a great automated trader. I've learned all mistakes that keep you from being profitable and turned them into code. I could never remember and act based on the right principles. But the code can do it for me.

There's no shortcuts to building up your capital. It won't happen until you are ready. And if it happens when you are not ready, you'll lose it again and again. I've seen my capital double several times, several months in a row, but then I lost it all again: bad money management but mostly not full automation, which allowed my excitement to sneak in and interfere with the proper functioning of systems, and lose everything.

Do I now have the full automation required to not lose everything again? "Everything" what? Everything 10k. After all, 10k is something. I could lose that as well. Yes, I do have the full automation, and that could build up my capital. But I don't have the patience. I've engaged in discretionary trading during the whole of last week. I made about 1000 dollars because of it. But we know how that ends. If I keep doing it, most likely I will lose 2000 to 4000 dollars within a week or so. That's more or less the ratio with my discretionary trading. A lot of small wins, and one huge loss.

But if my systems bring me money, I won't feel the urge to do it myself. I hope that will be the case. I also hope I won't be frustrated from work. Otherwise I can predict disasters happening. And disasters happening will keep me frustrated. I'd best resign immediately then, and keep myself from being frustrated, but who knows maybe I'd be more frustrated at home, without the security of having a job. We'll see.

For sure this journal has helped me, a lot, to deal with frustration. Also, I got help with my systems: the drawdown automated formula, which is a beauty. I created systems thanks to advice I got on this journal: the opening gap (three of them) and I developed 2 more systems derived from that idea. Overall, this is a great place with great people. Thanks, everyone. Being here, with you reading me, makes me feel more like Randle Patrick McMurphy than like Travis Bickle, which is the way I feel at the office, always on the verge of a shooting rampage.

Last edited:
No existe un momento de día
en que pueda apartarte de mi;
ya todo parece distinto
cuando no estás junto a mí.

No hay bella melodía
en que no surjas tú,
ni yo quiero escucharla
si no la escuchas tú.

Es que te has convertido
en parte de mi alma,
ya nada me conforma
si no estás tú también.

Más allá de tus labios
del sol y las estrellas,
contigo en la distancia
amada mía estoy.

César Portillo de la Luz
Pedro Infante
El mil amores (1954)

Last edited:

Attachments

• this_is_me.jpg
    this_is_me.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I scored "high" on these personality disorders (being schizoid and histrionic at once seems contradictory):

Schizoid
People with schizoid personality disorder avoid relationships and do not show much emotion. They genuinely prefer to be alone and do not secretly wish for popularity. They tend to seek jobs that require little social contact. Their social skills are often weak and they do not show a need for attention or acceptance. They are perceived as humorless and distant and often are termed "loners."

Histrionic
People with histrionic personality disorder are constant attention seekers. They need to be the center of attention all the time, often interrupting others in order to dominate the conversation. They use grandiose language to describe everyday events and seek constant praise. They may dress provocatively or exaggerate illnesses in order to gain attention. They also tend to exaggerate friendships and relationships, believing that everyone loves them. They are often manipulative.

Narcissistic
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by self-centeredness. Like histrionic disorder, people with this disorder seek attention and praise. They exaggerate their achievements, expecting others to recognize them as being superior. They tend to be choosy about picking friends, since they believe that not just anyone is worthy of being their friend. They tend to make good first impressions, yet have difficulty maintaining long-lasting relationships. They are generally uninterested in the feelings of others and may take advantage of them.

Anyone else has taken the test yet? Let me know what you guys are. I am curious to see if traders share common personality traits and disorders.

I knew that our drawdown formula was going to be appreciated by someone! Yes! And now don't say I am exaggerating my achievements just to get some attention...

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 145
You're a stable guy, that's why you don't tamper and tell me to not tamper and I disappoint you. That means the test really works. I've always thought that test was well made. Ever since I took it many years ago and administered it to some borderline girlfriends, and dependent ones. Actually the test told me what they were before I even knew what the term meant. Then I broke up with them, immediately thereafter. But you passed, so we can still be friends. I can only be around healthy people. There's enough sickness in myself for a whole forum. Seriously, I cannot stand self-centered people. Everyone's attention has to be focused on me.

Now let's focus on my capital. As of now I am at about 11k. Now that's not enough to take off. I got plenty of systems, but less than half are trading, due to too much drawdown and not enough capital to trade them all at once. I am missing out on all the profits. It sucks.

Now. To get a piece of the action, as they say in mafia movies, I'd need a capital of 15k. That would still not allow me to trade any of the CL systems, which yielded half of all my profits in the past 3 months. For that I'd need 30k. To face the drawdown peacefully (to trade them I'd only need 7k). But I don't mind: if I can get to 15k, then I'm set, because capital will finally rise and it will take a few weeks to get to 30k. Until then, I'll have to pray nothing goes wrong, like discretionary trades in particular. Those could take me back to 7k in no time. I just need another 4k and I'm set.

Well, at least I've stopped withdrawing (and spending) money a few weeks ago. Now my only enemy is my impatience. No CL drawdown surprises (last time the CL brought me from 14k to 10k in three days), nothing should go down... nothing can go wrong. I just need to let it grow. It's like a marijuana plant: you can't plant the seed and go in there every day, removing the dirt, to see whether it's growing or not. You can't water it too much, or it will drown: marijuana plants cannot swim nor float.

Sollozzo: Bene, Don Corleone. I need a man who has powerful friends. I need a million dollars in cash. I need, Don Corleone, all of those politicians that you carry around in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes.
Don Corleone: What is the interest for my family?
Sollozzo: Thirty percent. In the first year your end should be three, four million dollars. And then it would go up.
Don Corleone: And what is the interest for the Tattaglia family?
Sollozzo: [smiles at Tom] My compliments.
[Hagen gives a formal nod]
Sollozzo: I'll take care of the Tattaglias, out of my share.
Don Corleone: So, I am to receive thirty percent for finance, for legal protection and political influence. Is that what you're telling me?
Sollozzo: That's right.
Don Corleone: Why come to me? What have I done to deserve such generosity?
Sollozzo: If you consider a million dollars in cash merely finance...
[raises his glass]
Sollozzo: Te salut, Don Corleone.
[the Don gets up to take a drink and sits closer to Sollozzo]
Don Corleone: I said that I would see you because I had heard that you were a serious man, to be treated with respect. But I must say no to you and let me give you my reasons. It's true I have a lot of friends in politics, but they wouldn't be so friendly if they knew my business was drugs instead of gambling which they consider a harmless vice. But drugs, that's a dirty business.
Sollozzo: No, Don Corleone...
Don Corleone: It makes no difference, it don't make any difference to me what a man does for a living, you understand. But your business is a little dangerous.

The Godfather (1972) - Memorable quotes

Last edited:
Ok. As far as my prayers go, today I am praying for the ZN to fall. If it falls to about 118 then I'll be in a good mood again, and closer to that 15k needed to take off. Otherwise my trading will be like the early airplanes of the wright brothers: going up and down, crashing, hardly able to take off. I just need a few good trades for a week or two and then I'll be able to take off.

Attachments

• fsspon.png
    fsspon.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 147
  • wright-brothers-glider.jpg
    wright-brothers-glider.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 140
My negative and overly critical father

Ok, back at 11k. Other than this, tonight I've tried, in vain, to talk to my dad about my progress with my systems, just like I've tried to tell him how much people appreciate me at work. But all I get from him is silence. In all these years he never cared at all about my progress, in any fields.

Today he told me that algorithmic trading is likely to bring the world to an end. That's pretty depressing considering I thought that was my own favorite subject, but nope: I had to be lectured by him, who works in an entirely different field, even about my own favorite subject. When I made the mistake of telling him about Taxi Driver or other favorite movies, he lectured me about De Niro and the movie industry. Had I been a doctor, he most likely would have told me that AIDS or the swine flu is going to the bring the world to an end. Had I been a swimmer, he would have told me about the dangers of drowning, and so on.

He always fails to listen, he always fails to take me seriously, and he always manages to turn any conversation into a depressing one. I remember ever since I was six he used to tell me that when he was my age his dad was already dead. Every once in a while, since I was a child, he's been telling me that he could die at any time, and to be prepared. The point of life to him seems to be to suffer and then to die. And if you're trying to have a good time, or at least be relaxed, then there's something wrong with you, and he has to fix it by making you depressed. I remember once I called him from overseas and told him "I got a great job, I got a girlfriend: I am happy". And he replied "you have nothing to be happy about: all you have is your health, and you never know how long that will last".

For some reason, I thought I'd give him yet another chance at being a pleasant father, and a person I could talk to, but he wasted my opportunity once again. I guess the only thing he was good at in his life is working hard. And in order to do it properly, he had to look down on any kind of pleasure, or good time. As a consequence, even today when no hard work is needed of him, he is still that scornful person. He's a total asshole and he ruined my life, but yes he did manage to get me to work hard. Was it worth it? Not at all, I would say, once I am fed and never experienced hunger or anxieties. Maybe I would see things differently if I had experienced the anxieties he has experienced when he was a child and his dad died in WW2. Still, that doesn't make him a pleasant person. I think I will feel like giving him another chance in about a week from now.

Was it worth it? I'll be happy with my hard work and unhappy life only when I'll retire to an island and call my colleagues from the beach, and hear they're all still the office. Otherwise it wasn't worth it.

I'll be satisfied only if I'll get a chance to spend season after season on the rocks, to look at waves. To jump from one rock to another, while no one is around, and think about philosophy, writing... thinking freely... with no constraints, no phone calls, no orders, no car engines in the neighbourhood. Just me alone in front of the ocean.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.