My first 170 lot trade

Directional

Experienced member
for the last three weeks now, I've had my trade limits increased to permit me to work a 250ct trade if I saw an opportunity that was golden enough to justify smashing it with my maximum size for that particular market. Prior to this my limits were 100cts in my three main markets, though I had never really got close to working any orders this big, I was always working in the 25-85lot range since i hadnt had any opportunities that were big enough to get my max limit onto any one trade.

Today, thanks to a little pre-non-farms volatility, I finally got to test my mettle and methods with a decent sized trade and allow me to see if I would feel and act the same way as I have been doing with much smaller size.

The way I trade basically involves looking for mis-pricing in the exchange quoted spread markets of the interest rate futures. My main product is LIFFE Euribor futures, but I also actively watch and trade CME Eurodollars, and to a much lesser extent LIFFE's Short Sterling future.

The opportunity I saw today was a chance to buy Jun6Sep7 spread at 0.260 and sell Jun6Jun7 spread at 0.215 - both with market orders. The net result of this trade put me long the Jun7Sep7 spread at 0.045

For those of you that are not familiar with spreading, the spreads are fungible against the outright quarterly contracts, so by doing the above two spread trades, the result was this:

........,Jun06....Jun07....Sep07
Buy...+170.....................-170...for 0.260
Sell...-170......+170...................at 0.215

As you can see from the above, the two Jun06 spread legs cancel each other out leaving me net long the jun07sep07 spread market at 0.045 (0.260 - 0.215 = 0.045)

The reason I felt this was such a good opportunity was because at the time of the trade the Jun7Sep7 spread was bid 0.045 for over 8000cts, and only offered 240cts at 0.050. By taking the above four legged spread trade I was essentially leapfrogging the 8000lots for a fill on the bid and getting long with only 240 lots on the ask at my exit.

The opportunity to take this trade was only there for a couple of seconds, and at the time it initially appeared there were over 250cts available, unfortunately in the second or so it took me to open an order ticket the size available dropped to 170cts so I took the lot.

I got my full fill with no partials and that was it - i was long 170cts, more than twice as big as I'd ever traded before on a single trade :eek: . I did feel a little thrill of excitement for an instant and I wondered if I'd keep my discipline and work the trade out rationally and in as detatched a way as I've done on smaller trades. But only for a second, the next stage of this trade was to get out of it - hopefully for a profit!

My rules for trades of this sort are very simple - basically I have the advantage of size at the price I got the trade on at. The advantage of this sort of spread scalping is that if the trade doesnt work out, I can scratch it at the price I got onto the trade at - in this case 0.045. All I do is offer my exit at the ask and watch the bid size (at the time it was fluctuating around 0.045 for 7500-9000 cts ) and the last trade. If the size ratio of bids/offers switches over so that there is significantly more size on the ask than the bid, and at the price I'm leaning on starts to trade volume and looks like it'll trade out, I'll start thinking about getting out by hitting the bid for my exit to scratch the trade.

In my mind i was considering where my cutoff point would be for how small to let the bid shrink to, since obviously I need to be able to comfortably get 170cts off in one go, I didnt want to be missing my price and joining the ask for this sort of size.

As it was, I got my exit quite quickly - since LIFFE works on a pro-rata system of order matching, I'd been expecting to wait a while and get a peicemeal fill on my exit - there was originally 240cts on the ask, with my 170 lots joining it this swelled to over 400cts, and others joined after me, for an ask size of around 5-600cts, this meant my order formed around 30% of the ask size and should mean that I get 30% of the contracts to trade at the ask.

This didnt happen, as most of the ask was taken by one big trade - so I was pleasantly surprised to get my entire order filled in one go! And only four minutes after I'd submitted it.

The anatomy of this trade breaks down as follows:
170cts x 1 Euribor tick (€12.50) = €2125
170 x 6 legs (four spread legs for entry, two for exit) = 1020 lots traded
Commission = 1020 x 0.48p = £489.60

Approx value of trade in GBP = £1437.35
Profit after commission = £947.74
Risk/Reward ratio = 1.9 to 1

I do get rebates on both commissions and exchange fee's so my net commission cost is actually about 20% less, but to keep it simple I'm just showing initial costs before any rebates.

All in all - a great trade! I was especially pleased that after the initial zing of having managed to get some decent size on in the market, I really didnt behave any differently than I have on prior trades. Admittedly, this was a picture perfect trade, and had things started to swing against me or dragged on for hours upon hours as other trades sometimes have, then perhaps it'd have been a slightly different story. But as far as following my rules, I'm happy I did everything by the book - and in particular that I didnt hesitate to take the entry for this sort of size when I saw such a well qualified opportunity. I'm sure the same would probably hold true when it came to scratching a trade like this if the criteria for getting out meant thats what I should be doing.

So the purpose of this thread is really just to show that, if your risk/reward is right, and your rules are simple and crystallized, and well practiced then there is no reason not to trade as big as you feel comfortable or even uncomfortable with - for a 1 lot, 100 lot or 1000 lot trade, if you can detach from the fear/greed/doubt cycle and make it a case of simply following your rules, then IMO the size doesnt really matter :) any thoughts on this?

I'm actually really looking forward to the next chance I have to put this or even more size on now.

(PS. to divert any thread disrupting accusations of spinning a yarn here, I've attached screen-snaps of my order book and preliminary statement for the trade)

Attachments

• prelim statement.JPG
    prelim statement.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 616
  • orderbook.JPG
    orderbook.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 574
  • spreadmatrix.JPG
    spreadmatrix.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 543
sweet - nice trade. how long have you been trading the spreads?

how many other opportunities did you miss while you were typing this?? (hehehehe)

i agree 100% with what you say. in other words, we need to focus on the behavioural aspects of trading, not the money. doing our drills correctly. over time, money comes from a job well done.

what is transpiring from all of this however is that larger size in the market can often help reduce execution risk. it increases your chance of getting filled in a pro-rate market (tell me if im wrong there), and gives you more options in how to manage the trade if in a volatile product.

anyway, you did better that me today - ive just managed to churn my account. i could just about manage a beer & a pizza with the money i made today :( guess you'll be on the razz!

keep em coming!

charliechan said:
sweet - nice trade. how long have you been trading the spreads?

just the last four months - still learning to read the curve and see whats cheap/expensive, but I'm such a convert! risk/reward and return on margin is just so much better than directional trading and for comparatively much less risk!

I'm humbled when I listen to the ex-floor guys sat around me, they chatter all day between themselves about what they're working and whats priced at what - thay are exceptionally good at "seeing" spread opportunities - its an incredible bonus being able to listen in and watch/learn the markets with that extra flow of info into my ear.

charliechan said:
how many other opportunities did you miss while you were typing this?? (hehehehe)

LOL - fortunately, I'll never know (unfortunately?) :LOL:

charliechan said:
i agree 100% with what you say. in other words, we need to focus on the behavioural aspects of trading, not the money. doing our drills correctly. over time, money comes from a job well done.

drills. nail. head.

charliechan said:
what is transpiring from all of this however is that larger size in the market can often help reduce execution risk. it increases your chance of getting filled in a pro-rate market (tell me if im wrong there), and gives you more options in how to manage the trade if in a volatile product.

yeah - small size is def a disadvantage in a pro-rata market. its the electronic equivalent of standing in a pit and a broker sharing the paper out round the locals. Mr 1 lot is not gonna get any if the locals stood next to him are offering 100. With this trade I'd only have needed to get a 20% fill to cover my costs and any extra is free cash. Same with any high-double digit trade, I usually get some, if not all, which seldom happens with the smaller stuff.

charliechan said:
anyway, you did better that me today - ive just managed to churn my account. i could just about manage a beer & a pizza with the money i made today :( guess you'll be on the razz!

hehe, I think i need to give my liver a rest! had the TT party on wednesday, and the Ecurie25 launch party last night .. still feeling a bit wooly and shaky - not sure I could face any more drinks, free or paid for - for at least the next few days :cheesy:

give me a few more hours staring at eurodollars though, my healthy resolve may crumble

tsuntzu said:
Nice trade buddy, can't believe your actually posting it all on here, you wait until I tell the old guard at Refco, they will pee there pants :)
:eek: :cheesy:
tsuntzu said:
And risk is in the eye of the beholder.
very true words actually, I should qualify my statement to say that spreads suit *me* and my risk profile better than directionals.

wait till one day u work your nutz off to sneaklily get in on the 8000 lot bid only to see someone smack it. thats a lovely feeling too.........ho hum

Div update

does Laurie Bond or Steve Rose know you are posting refco statements and trading screen freezes to public websites?................i work in the same office,,,,,i'll tell them and from the trade I.D. we can tell what trader posted this stuff.
Arbitrageur said:
for the last three weeks now, I've had my trade limits increased to permit me to work a 250ct trade if I saw an opportunity that was golden enough to justify smashing it with my maximum size for that particular market. Prior to this my limits were 100cts in my three main markets, though I had never really got close to working any orders this big, I was always working in the 25-85lot range since i hadnt had any opportunities that were big enough to get my max limit onto any one trade.

Today, thanks to a little pre-non-farms volatility, I finally got to test my mettle and methods with a decent sized trade and allow me to see if I would feel and act the same way as I have been doing with much smaller size.

The way I trade basically involves looking for mis-pricing in the exchange quoted spread markets of the interest rate futures. My main product is LIFFE Euribor futures, but I also actively watch and trade CME Eurodollars, and to a much lesser extent LIFFE's Short Sterling future.

The opportunity I saw today was a chance to buy Jun6Sep7 spread at 0.260 and sell Jun6Jun7 spread at 0.215 - both with market orders. The net result of this trade put me long the Jun7Sep7 spread at 0.045

For those of you that are not familiar with spreading, the spreads are fungible against the outright quarterly contracts, so by doing the above two spread trades, the result was this:

........,Jun06....Jun07....Sep07
Buy...+170.....................-170...for 0.260
Sell...-170......+170...................at 0.215

As you can see from the above, the two Jun06 spread legs cancel each other out leaving me net long the jun07sep07 spread market at 0.045 (0.260 - 0.215 = 0.045)

The reason I felt this was such a good opportunity was because at the time of the trade the Jun7Sep7 spread was bid 0.045 for over 8000cts, and only offered 240cts at 0.050. By taking the above four legged spread trade I was essentially leapfrogging the 8000lots for a fill on the bid and getting long with only 240 lots on the ask at my exit.

The opportunity to take this trade was only there for a couple of seconds, and at the time it initially appeared there were over 250cts available, unfortunately in the second or so it took me to open an order ticket the size available dropped to 170cts so I took the lot.

I got my full fill with no partials and that was it - i was long 170cts, more than twice as big as I'd ever traded before on a single trade :eek: . I did feel a little thrill of excitement for an instant and I wondered if I'd keep my discipline and work the trade out rationally and in as detatched a way as I've done on smaller trades. But only for a second, the next stage of this trade was to get out of it - hopefully for a profit!

My rules for trades of this sort are very simple - basically I have the advantage of size at the price I got the trade on at. The advantage of this sort of spread scalping is that if the trade doesnt work out, I can scratch it at the price I got onto the trade at - in this case 0.045. All I do is offer my exit at the ask and watch the bid size (at the time it was fluctuating around 0.045 for 7500-9000 cts ) and the last trade. If the size ratio of bids/offers switches over so that there is significantly more size on the ask than the bid, and at the price I'm leaning on starts to trade volume and looks like it'll trade out, I'll start thinking about getting out by hitting the bid for my exit to scratch the trade.

In my mind i was considering where my cutoff point would be for how small to let the bid shrink to, since obviously I need to be able to comfortably get 170cts off in one go, I didnt want to be missing my price and joining the ask for this sort of size.

As it was, I got my exit quite quickly - since LIFFE works on a pro-rata system of order matching, I'd been expecting to wait a while and get a peicemeal fill on my exit - there was originally 240cts on the ask, with my 170 lots joining it this swelled to over 400cts, and others joined after me, for an ask size of around 5-600cts, this meant my order formed around 30% of the ask size and should mean that I get 30% of the contracts to trade at the ask.

This didnt happen, as most of the ask was taken by one big trade - so I was pleasantly surprised to get my entire order filled in one go! And only four minutes after I'd submitted it.

The anatomy of this trade breaks down as follows:
170cts x 1 Euribor tick (€12.50) = €2125
170 x 6 legs (four spread legs for entry, two for exit) = 1020 lots traded
Commission = 1020 x 0.48p = £489.60

Approx value of trade in GBP = £1437.35
Profit after commission = £947.74
Risk/Reward ratio = 1.9 to 1

I do get rebates on both commissions and exchange fee's so my net commission cost is actually about 20% less, but to keep it simple I'm just showing initial costs before any rebates.

All in all - a great trade! I was especially pleased that after the initial zing of having managed to get some decent size on in the market, I really didnt behave any differently than I have on prior trades. Admittedly, this was a picture perfect trade, and had things started to swing against me or dragged on for hours upon hours as other trades sometimes have, then perhaps it'd have been a slightly different story. But as far as following my rules, I'm happy I did everything by the book - and in particular that I didnt hesitate to take the entry for this sort of size when I saw such a well qualified opportunity. I'm sure the same would probably hold true when it came to scratching a trade like this if the criteria for getting out meant thats what I should be doing.

So the purpose of this thread is really just to show that, if your risk/reward is right, and your rules are simple and crystallized, and well practiced then there is no reason not to trade as big as you feel comfortable or even uncomfortable with - for a 1 lot, 100 lot or 1000 lot trade, if you can detach from the fear/greed/doubt cycle and make it a case of simply following your rules, then IMO the size doesnt really matter :) any thoughts on this?

I'm actually really looking forward to the next chance I have to put this or even more size on now.

(PS. to divert any thread disrupting accusations of spinning a yarn here, I've attached screen-snaps of my order book and preliminary statement for the trade)

bravo

well said.............not to mention the cost of putting on such trades.....!
Pitscum said:
wait till one day u work your nutz off to sneaklily get in on the 8000 lot bid only to see someone smack it. thats a lovely feeling too.........ho hum

Games-thucked said:
does Laurie Bond or Steve Rose know you are posting refco statements and trading screen freezes to public websites?................i work in the same office,,,,,i'll tell them and from the trade I.D. we can tell what trader posted this stuff.

be my guest - not really sure what you are so upset about. I'm own account so if I want to post screenshots of what I'm doing then that is my business isnt it?

My post was to discuss the psychology of size in relation to the example trade given - I'm not exactly giving away any "industry secrets" in my post am I? I highly doubt anyone would start spread trading as a result of reading this thread, who wasnt already looking to get involved in a grad scheme or similar already.

I've received a lot of very useful help and guidance from other traders on this site and elsewhere over the last year for which I am very grateful, if I can do the same for others by posting stuff which might be even slightly helpful to them in their trading then I am only too happy to do so, whatever you might think of that.

Learn

Arbitrageur said:
be my guest - not really sure what you are so upset about. I'm own account so if I want to post screenshots of what I'm doing then that is my business isnt it?

My post was to discuss the psychology of size in relation to the example trade given - I'm not exactly giving away any "industry secrets" in my post am I? I highly doubt anyone would start spread trading as a result of reading this thread, who wasnt already looking to get involved in a grad scheme or similar already.

I've received a lot of very useful help and guidance from other traders on this site and elsewhere over the last year for which I am very grateful, if I can do the same for others by posting stuff which might be even slightly helpful to them in their trading then I am only too happy to do so, whatever you might think of that.

learn the hard way .................take this scenario in.............you get a nod that a horse is going to win tomorrow., the odds are 15-1 you place a bet £100 win the day before but dont lock in the odds. In your quest to gain friends and respect you blab to everydody about it, word spreads like wildfire and the following day so many people have backed it that on the day that it the odds have reduced from 15-1 to 2-1..The result , instead of you picking up £1500 you pick up £200 quid.
Now think about what you are doing giving trading tips,styles plus screen shots. Any decent trader would never give advise or tips because at the end of the day we are trading against each over.

Games-thucked said:
learn the hard way .................take this scenario in.............you get a nod that a horse is going to win tomorrow., the odds are 15-1 you place a bet £100 win the day before but dont lock in the odds. In your quest to gain friends and respect you blab to everydody about it, word spreads like wildfire and the following day so many people have backed it that on the day that it the odds have reduced from 15-1 to 2-1..The result , instead of you picking up £1500 you pick up £200 quid.
Now think about what you are doing giving trading tips,styles plus screen shots. Any decent trader would never give advise or tips because at the end of the day we are trading against each over.

you clearly have no clue.

seeing as 50% of arcade traders are all doing the same thing, i dont think he is giving anything away

success comes in the execution, not so much the knowledge of a method.

i really dont think the future of marathon/refco is under threat because of this. do you?

You can show somebody exactly how to trade and make money, but it does not guarantee they will ever get it right or make anything for themselves, most will simply not maintain discipline and as far as scalping is concerned execution and knowing your outs is not an easy to acquire skill.
Some people on here are very paranoid and obviously struggling to find their edge..
I wish you better luck this year.

Last edited:
Hey, come on guys - 'tis the season of goodwill after all, don't let this degenerate into a slanging match.

In deference to the topic of arb's thread - which was about his trade and not whether he should detail it or not - I'll do some housekeeping in due course when you've had your say on the peripheral issue. But keep that say within bounds please. Thanks.

good trading

jon

Hi Arb,

Good post, it was one of the most interesting reads this site has produced in a LONG time. I think if trade2win is going to keep its integrity and hold on to its more experienced members we need more discussions on spreading and other more advanced derivative techniques and also the psychological aspect of trading. These are the issues that people that have graduated from the initial learning curve enjoy to read about and also they are very beneficial for a newbie to start taking interest in.

I suppose it is only natural that people feel that discussing such techniques reduce their efficiency but i follow the belief that it actually helps the more astute trader. The more people that try to follow each other the more predictible the flow of "dumb money" becomes. When situations like this occur the "smart money" (by this i mean good traders) can exploit this.

Tom

tommog said:
Hi Arb,

Good post, it was one of the most interesting reads this site has produced in a LONG time. I think if trade2win is going to keep its integrity and hold on to its more experienced members we need more discussions on spreading and other more advanced derivative techniques and also the psychological aspect of trading. These are the issues that people that have graduated from the initial learning curve enjoy to read about and also they are very beneficial for a newbie to start taking interest in.

I suppose it is only natural that people feel that discussing such techniques reduce their efficiency but i follow the belief that it actually helps the more astute trader. The more people that try to follow each other the more predictible the flow of "dumb money" becomes. When situations like this occur the "smart money" (by this i mean good traders) can exploit this.

Tom

WELL SAID!!

twalker also makes the point well - which unfortunately, some people dont seem to get.

twalk the twalk

twalker said:
You can show somebody exactly how to trade and make money, but it does not guarantee they will ever get it right or make anything for themselves, most will simply not maintain discipline and as far as scalping is concerned execution and knowing your outs is not an easy to acquire skill.
Some people on here are very paranoid and obviously struggling to find their edge..
I wish you better luck this year.

you only incourage people to post ideas because you have none of your own,,,,,,my original post was the best tip for ARB........keep stum

tsuntzu said:
Interesting, is it possible to have a picture of a personality?, I suppose it could be a metaphor for my personality. The character is called Berk so it fits rather well. I am heartened that my writing style is making you laugh. This job just gets too serious at times dont you think?

Oh meant to ask you if you went and talked to either Steve or Laurie about the post? What was their position on that?

yes i did, apparently ARB has left MAREX........

GAMES T
The trades that ARB did on his front end are easy to set up and trade.There were no "secrets" divolved.
This rapid spread trading technique is facilitated by his Aquarius front end and is available to anybody.
your analogy with the horses was not perhaps your best ...........and btw arb,s absence has nothing whatsoever to do with this whole incident.

that weekly jobless should make payrolls interesting tomorrow,, if i do well its chinese for me

Last edited: