Multiple Timeframe Analysis

GilYoungJo

I personally trade 60min, 30min, 15min, 10min, 5min and 3min.

I teach my traders to trade only 2 timeframes in the beginning though (of course, after having mastered 1 timeframe analysis technique - either 3min or 5min - depends on their background and personality).

Most traders don't understand why price action dwindles after hitting support on the 5min......they faily to realize that the 15min is showing resistance - thus the 5min support is very short lived. This may be invalidated if the 30min timeframe is indicating the possibility of a possible support level however.

It's not as easy as it sounds - as with everything trading-related of course.....

Where are your moving averages on each timeframe in relation to the stochastic....in relation to the MACD.....in relation to the ROC......?

Multiple tiemframe analysis is the only way to determine whether all the traders are in "sync"

Playing Pool:

1min = pure momentum daytraders
3min = breakout/momentum/support-resistance traders
5min = pretty much on par with 3min traders plus their profits are usually a tad larger due to the extra 2 minutes of built-in momentum/reliability in the timeframe [usually the favorite timeframe of successful daytraders and regular traders alike]
10min = same as 5min plus short-term intraday hedge funds
15min = same as 5min plus slightly higher-profit-oriented hedge funds and mutual funds/institutions
30/60min = same as 15min plus swing traders

Bottom line: the longer your timeframe, the more reliable signals are - due to the built-in momentum ----- it is very easy to break 1min support/resistance levels violently BUT is it not as easy to break 5/15min support/resistance levels

My training method core concept: using the example of a dual timeframe analysis method - confirm that your 5min is in a clear trend then wait for your 1min corresponding support/resistance to initiate a position ---- the shorter your main small timeframe, the faster you have to take profits --- the bigger timeframe analysis allows for more of "letting your profits run" but the flipside is that you have to be willing to add to your position and take on slightly higher levels of risk due to the "lag effect" and "shake-out effect"

I will be posting some videos on this method within the next few weeks.

Good Trading!

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally trade 60min, 30min, 15min, 10min, 5min and 3min.

I teach my traders to trade only 2 timeframes in the beginning though (of course, after having mastered 1 timeframe analysis technique - either 3min or 5min - depends on their background and personality).

Most traders don't understand why price action dwindles after hitting support on the 5min......they faily to realize that the 15min is showing resistance - thus the 5min support is very short lived. This may be invalidated if the 30min timeframe is indicating the possibility of a possible support level however.

It's not as easy as it sounds - as with everything trading-related of course.....

Where are your moving averages on each timeframe in relation to the stochastic....in relation to the MACD.....in relation to the ROC......?

Multiple tiemframe analysis is the only way to determine whether all the traders are in "sync"

Playing Pool:

5min = pretty much on par with 3min traders plus their profits are usually a tad larger due to the extra 2 minutes of built-in momentum/reliability in the timeframe [usually the favorite timeframe of successful daytraders and regular traders alike]
15min = same as 5min plus slightly higher-profit-oriented hedge funds and mutual funds/institutions

Bottom line: the longer your timeframe, the more reliable signals are - due to the built-in momentum ----- it is very easy to break 1min support/resistance levels violently BUT is it not as easy to break 5/15min support/resistance levels

My training method core concept: using the example of a dual timeframe analysis method - confirm that your 5min is in a clear trend then wait for your 1min corresponding support/resistance to initiate a position ---- the shorter your main small timeframe, the faster you have to take profits --- the bigger timeframe analysis allows for more of "letting your profits run" but the flipside is that you have to be willing to add to your position and take on slightly higher levels of risk due to the "lag effect" and "shake-out effect"

I will be posting some videos on this method within the next few weeks.

Good Trading!

A very good post and tottaly agree with you on all points.
Using 1 timefram will never get you anywhere, i am personly using around 5 charts to pinpoint where marked is going, and when all the charts are in synch with eachother thats when you get the good and reliable moves, cause each group that looks at each timeframe are buying or shorting, its a selffullfilling prophecy.

I use 10min+3min+2min+89tick and 144tick charts and with that i am in full controll over my own actions and what to expect from the marked. The marked is very easy to predict if you have the right tools at your dispossel.

Another thing, using only slow stochastics and nothing else will also cause to many bad signals, 2 oschillators usulay gets the work down, i am a big fan of macd and slow stochastocs and moving averages.In combination they are priceless :cool:

Keep up the good work and i will be looking forward to looking at those video you are talking about, i am sure many here is appritiate it.

With kind regards
Bashir Naimy

SSO Charts (support/resistance lines derived from various timeframes).

Attachments

• snapshot-33.png
    snapshot-33.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited by a moderator:
What is the sound of one vendor clapping his hands?

A huge sucking sound. Caused by the newbies running to spend $5000 on his worthless overcomplicated and over-promised rubbish.

The suggestion that one needs 6 or 7 close timeframes to spot support and resistance is utter bs. I will be complaining to the mods also - posting your advertising link is not acceptable use on this site GYJ.

Nine,

I'm sorry you feel that a multiple timeframe analysis is rubbish...to each his/her own.

If you had taken the time to read my original post (in lieu of pure bashing), I specifically noted that I teach traders how to use MTF analysis from the very beginner levels.

Also, my traders are able to start with $X amount of firm buying power and then gradually get it increased versus other firms where the buying power is static.

I disagree with your notion that I'm advertising - I'm simply posting free advice and techniques...I have no issue with the MOD killing my post but I think that more people would benefit from it's existence in the message board. Everything on my trading blog is instructive and constructive for traders of all levels. Sorry to hear that you're above my trading advice - I guess you're just too great a trader - I hope to see some of your trading tips for others to experiment with.

Good Trading!

If you had taken the time to read my much shorter post you would have seen that I said:
"The suggestion that one needs 6 or 7 close timeframes to spot support and resistance is utter bs."

Strangely it doesn't say "a multiple timeframe analysis is rubbish." Just that your suggestion is.

But, cutting through the BS. You are a vendor and you have not set the vendor flag. Be aware that this is sufficient grounds for your banning. Add to your advertising your bait site and you are well on your way. I even checked out a couple of your videos but they were just trite rehashes of material presented elsewhere with greater clarity and support.

I never suggested 6/7 timeframes -

If you read my original post, I stated that "I personally trade 60min, 30min, 15min, 10min, 5min and 3min. ........." I teach traders how to effectively use 2 to begin..... - I never suggested 6/7 timeframes for others to use for trading!

Don't want to get into a message board brawl....not worth it.

If you don't feel that my advice is helpful - that's one person's opinion and quite frankly, you are more than entitled to your viewpoints.

All I can say is that more people have benefitted from my posting than your "bashing" of me and my post/blog. Cheers!

Good Trading!

Last edited:

Don't want to get involved in anything untoward, but I am interested in you derivation of these classifications. And skeptical, I will admit (we will leave your references to indicators aside).

Multiple timeframes are fine - provided that:

i) you know what you're doing
ii) You drill down
iii) You aren't starting out
iv) see point i).

Using Ones' experience to pick out a finer entry is all good practice - however, One does infact need experience for it to work; otherwise, One will see a multitude of opposing signals and "miss the wood for the trees". IMO timeframes are a bit like drinks: Don't mix them until you've been around the block.

Suggesting multiple timeframes to those new to the markets (and ridiculous timeframes at that), is by all accounts bl00dy awful advice - and thats for free.

Certainly - wasn't trying to go on posting un-vendor-badged....

......just wasn't aware that I had to.

Cheers!

so you'll be applying for Vendor status today ?

But why should he ?

Grey1 and co dont need to register as vendors to sell their crap, so why should this guy ?

Surely everyone should be treated the same. Either all vendors should be badged, or they shouldnt.

Don't want to get involved in anything untoward, but I am interested in you derivation of these classifications. And skeptical, I will admit (we will leave your references to indicators aside).

Multiple timeframes are fine - provided that:

i) you know what you're doing
ii) You drill down
iii) You aren't starting out
iv) see point i).

Using Ones' experience to pick out a finer entry is all good practice - however, One does infact need experience for it to work; otherwise, One will see a multitude of opposing signals and "miss the wood for the trees". IMO timeframes are a bit like drinks: Don't mix them until you've been around the block.

Suggesting multiple timeframes to those new to the markets (and ridiculous timeframes at that), is by all accounts bl00dy awful advice - and thats for free.

I've developed my own personal MTF trading style over a 6 year period - so I definitely am comfortable and very profitable with this style....

I agree - MTF for newbies is bloody ********! That's why I teach traders to get used to 1 timeframe.........then after they are incredibly comfortable, 2 timeframes...etc....

There is nothing in any of my posts that ever alluded that I begin traders off with multiple timeframes.......I don't know why/how anyone with any sensibility could've read such.....

One must first learn to juggle one orange before attempting to juggle 5.......

Good Trading!

Like Mr Gecko, I also would like to know the derivation of these assertions. It's all to easy to dream up this sort of stuff with absolutely zero supporting evidence. I would suggest that such "facts" are in the category of the "unknowable" without inside knowledge. And as such do not contribute to what could be called "evidence based trading".

But why should he ?

Grey1 and co dont need to register as vendors to sell their crap, so why should this guy ?

Surely everyone should be treated the same. Either all vendors should be badged, or they shouldnt.

yes they all should

Like Mr Gecko, I also would like to know the derivation of these assertions. It's all to easy to dream up this sort of stuff with absolutely zero supporting evidence. I would suggest that such "facts" are in the category of the "unknowable" without inside knowledge. And as such do not contribute to what could be called "evidence based trading".

Much like sex - timeframes are an indication of experience.

(OK OK, not necessarily true - but strikes me as a good metaphor at a quarter to two)

Grey1 wasn't originally a vendor. If I recall the final thread he chose to stop posting here at the point where his status changed. But. All vendors should fly their flags - those that don't can (and often are) banned automatically. I agree. All who are vendors and found to be such after disguising it should be banned.

They may also not post links to their websites ... even when its a pathetic blog baiting newbies to the next stage of their scam.

And if they say: "I personally trade 60min, 30min, 15min, 10min, 5min and 3min. I teach my traders to trade only 2 timeframes in the beginning though" they can reasonably expect to be called out by veteran members for the bs that they are spouting (yes that does read, slowly here for the vendor, 1,2,3,4,5,6 timeframes). But please don't bother visiting his blog. Its self serving bs and its not nearly as good as stuff available here or at other blogs (real trader's blogs) on the internet.

Grey1 wasn't originally a vendor. If I recall the final thread he chose to stop posting here at the point where his status changed. But. All vendors should fly their flags - those that don't can (and often are) banned automatically. I agree. All who are vendors and found to be such after disguising it should be banned.

They may also not post links to their websites ... even when its a pathetic blog baiting newbies to the next stage of their scam.

Agreed the OP's post is pure BS, and you where right to point this out.

However, this site has a policy that "some are more equal than others". As this seams to be a completely arbitary decision (as its definately not based on merit), it may well be that the OP despite posting BS qualifies for "special" treatment, and as such, he may not require a vendor badge.

If he's running a scam, why should he predudice his position by voluntarily declaring his commercial interests when others dont have to do the same ?

Sorry to hear that there are some out there who think my opinions are base-less....

The only thing that I can say is that you are all entitled to your opinions....as am I.

I'm just glad that my traders are making money.

Cheers!

Zupcon, let's not take this thread away from the topic.
The OP needs to register as vendor status. full stop.

the discussions about grey1 has been dealt with elsewhere, but in summary I think he was given a bit of slack due to his seniority/longevity plus the confusion as to how much he was involved with the other guy's commercial plans. That in no way sets a precedent for other Vendors

(and before you have a pop at me, I agree with you, grey1 was given TOO much slack at the time, but that wasn't our decision.....)

Can we now keep this thread on track please guys, ie nine bursting GYJ's bubble ......