Multiple screens for PC

No worries, just had a gawk after picking up on the other keen eyes obbo's. Got a spare screen this side, 19 inch Iiyama 450 vision master pro. If i could lift it off the floor from the spare room, I might of had a go at wiring it up . :LOL:

Thank god the screens are slimmer now and easier to lift about .

hmm I had a pc quit on me a year back,fan used to rattle, then It just switched off one day 12 months later ( it no longer responded to a sharp boot under the desk to stop the rattle) but had 2 running at the time so had back up of sorts, Is it possible assuming the hard drive is not buggered to salvage the hard drive? Not thought about it, removing it and trying to plumb it in, so to speak. But I think thats looking for trouble........ :p

No I best leave alone...

You can have the disk out and have it put in a "Box" which then plugs into the USB port. However programs on the disk will not run. Its only worth doing this if you want to recover files,,,eg:- picture word / xl files/music etc. If you want to use the disk properly it can go in a new computer......with another disk if it fits.

another question. again sticking to this thread, rather than start a new one.
(I have managed to write my own "alert" in MT-4. I was going to use a programmer, but having delved, I managed my own solution. I think its better, cos I know why it works, so I can change it more confidently)

when running an automated trading method, can the broker on the "other end" know the mechanism that triggers a trade? being paranoid, stop-hunting, etc.

also, are there any people out there that can recommend Tradestation?
have read some threads, but cant get a good handle on it.
(I need a back-up short-term trading tool, as well as splitting my pot across more than one broker)

another question. again sticking to this thread, rather than start a new one.
(I have managed to write my own "alert" in MT-4. I was going to use a programmer, but having delved, I managed my own solution. I think its better, cos I know why it works, so I can change it more confidently)

when running an automated trading method, can the broker on the "other end" know the mechanism that triggers a trade? being paranoid, stop-hunting, etc.

also, are there any people out there that can recommend Tradestation?
have read some threads, but cant get a good handle on it.
(I need a back-up short-term trading tool, as well as splitting my pot across more than one broker)

Trendie
It is possible for a broker to use data mining in order to find people's stops, but only if they have been actually placed as an order. Otherwise they would use the obvious places where people put stops. I can't imagine how they would know what your mechanism is for determining a stop !

I can recommend Tradestation (I use 2000i Prosuite with IB data - don't know much about Tradestation 8 though). Depends what you need to know.
Glenn

Trendie
It is possible for a broker to use data mining in order to find people's stops, but only if they have been actually placed as an order. Otherwise they would use the obvious places where people put stops. I can't imagine how they would know what your mechanism is for determining a stop !

I can recommend Tradestation (I use 2000i Prosuite with IB data - don't know much about Tradestation 8 though). Depends what you need to know.
Glenn

thanks for reply.
I trade FX, the 4 major crosses, and indices (SPX, Ibex, DAX, CAC), not stocks.
the adverts for TS go on about back-testing tick-by-tick, and being able to program rules.
I want to know whether its as good as its sales pitch is! (they offer a 30-day trial, which I will utilise over January, but I want to maximise my use of it with advance preparation)
I am mainly interested in replicating my rules in another platform to create alerts/messages.
any experience in the programming language?

thanks for reply.
I trade FX, the 4 major crosses, and indices (SPX, Ibex, DAX, CAC), not stocks.
the adverts for TS go on about back-testing tick-by-tick, and being able to program rules.
I want to know whether its as good as its sales pitch is! (they offer a 30-day trial, which I will utilise over January, but I want to maximise my use of it with advance preparation)
I am mainly interested in replicating my rules in another platform to create alerts/messages.
any experience in the programming language?

Trendie
Back-testing tick by tick - Yes, although I don't use back testing.
Able to program rules - Yes
Create alerts/messages - On screen, Yes but if you mean SMS/Text I don't know.
I'm fairly good with the language having written and debugged quite a lot of code which is operational and used for live trading.
Are you trialling TS 2000i or TS 8 ?
Glenn

Trendie
Back-testing tick by tick - Yes, although I don't use back testing.
Able to program rules - Yes
Create alerts/messages - On screen, Yes but if you mean SMS/Text I don't know.
I'm fairly good with the language having written and debugged quite a lot of code which is operational and used for live trading.
Are you trialling TS 2000i or TS 8 ?
Glenn

dunno! have just called the TS number, got redirected to US. they're asleep.
will ask some general questions about suitability. they give demo CD, then 30-day trial.

I think I will need alerts to begin with, but would like to see examples of code, and/or join forum where alert-type apps have already been developed, before trial begins.
at the moment, I dont have TS.

EDIT: :eek: :eek: do TS have Hull Moving Averages?? its not for me, its for a friend. :eek: :eek: :cheesy:

dunno! have just called the TS number, got redirected to US. they're asleep.
will ask some general questions about suitability. they give demo CD, then 30-day trial.

I think I will need alerts to begin with, but would like to see examples of code, and/or join forum where alert-type apps have already been developed, before trial begins.
at the moment, I dont have TS.

EDIT: :eek: :eek: do TS have Hull Moving Averages?? its not for me, its for a friend. :eek: :eek: :cheesy:

Omega Research sell Tradestation 8 which is their latest version. The older version (TS 2000i Prosuite) is available only from 3rd parties. 2000i had reached its development limit and 8 is basically a rewrite as I understand it. However many here on T2w use TS 2000i.
Tradestation 8 uses Tradestation Securities own servers and data feed. To use other data feeds such as IB you need something like Owndata 2.5 from TS Support (3rd party).
Omega deals are geared towards you using their brokerage and fees which you may or may not be happy to do. I suggest you look through the Tradestation threads to get more info. and detail.
Support forums are available when you purchase the products (so maybe not before you purchase).
I'm happy with TS2000i although it does have it's quirks and can be sensitive to in-flight development during market hours.

I note whereabouts you live and I may not be far away. PM me about this if you like.
Glenn

Edit. Hull Moving average if not in the list on TS2000i however looking at the maths it would be easy to code as Easylanguage has a square root function.

Last edited:
Setting up Multiple Monitors Instructions

Here is a great post I found on another similar topic:

The Three main ways to Setup Multiple Monitors

1) You can buy a pre-manufactured multiple monitor computer. The best place to purchase a multiple monitor computer is at:
Multi-Monitors.com. They carry a multi-monitor computer line called SUPER-PC that can support from 2 to 12 monitors.

Multi-Screen Computer Systems

Multiple Monitor LCD Displays

2) You can get a USB to VGA Adapter, or USB to DVI Adapter that will allow you to add an extra monitor to your computer
via any USB2.0 Port. You can also add multiple extra monitors by using multiple adapters. This is a great option for viewing
documents, surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and many other business tasks. This is not a good option for intense
graphical situations such as HDTV, Blu-ray, Gaming and 3D / CAD Workstation applications. For those types of scenarios,
it is highly recommended that you purchase a high-powered multi-monitor workstation or a Matrox Dual or Triple Head2Go.

Multiple Monitor Adapters

3) You can replace or add an extra video card to your existing computer, depending on how many monitors you wish to support.
Although this sounds easy enough, this is a rather complex solution for a beginner, especially when trying to find a compatible
graphics card. For this reason, I am going to write an entirely seperate post on that topic and will link to it here, very soon.

Multi-Monitor Graphics Cards

Once you have your multiple monitor system set up and ready to use, you will need to enable all of your monitors in
your “Display Properties” Control Panel. Here is a great link to a complete and animated walkthrough of how to enable
your multiple monitors in Windows.

How to Setup Multiple Monitors (Instructions)

This is what it will look like when you are done:

Multi-Monitor Video Demo 1