Mozilla Suite, Firefox & Thunderbird

zzaxx99 said:
Thanks for that, much better. FWIW, you don't have to drag the icons off the bar / to the customise page; once the customise page is open, you can drag them to new positions on the bar. Have to say, none of this was at all obvious.

Have you found any way to shrink the URL box? I find it far too big, and want to have the back button roughly centred on the page.

Not found a way to do that, also I would like to be able to view old Google searches as you can do with the IE Google toolbar but not managed to do that.

But just love the tabbed browsing.

Cheers

Stew

Just started using Firefox and I find it a lot quicker than IE and a slightly better layout. Doesn't seem to like finspreads, so that is an added bonus :)

I don't have any problem with Fins and Firefox apart from the initial log in is slightly different?

Perhaps the problem was with the finspreads site when I tried it earlier. I can access it now.

BB, be aware that lots of sites are made with MS tools which _mainly_ cater to IE browsers. Basically it comes down to laziness on the developers part.

Firefox is a beauty IMHO.

HG

Reddog
I've stopped using Firefox because it was taking up 20% or more of my system resources, just in idle. A real hog.
I don't have a problem with hogging computer resources?
At the moment I have 5 tabs open in Firefox, other programs running as well and am using between 1 and 4% of computer

A couple of critcisms of Firefox that I have is - it does not seem possible to fully copy web pages into MS Word etc. - as it is with MSIE.

Also - I cannot log out of T2W!

Cheers

jtrader.

Lol, I must be the only one stubbornly refusing to ditch IE 6 then! It's fast, not cluttered, has all the features I need and you can always rely on it to show author's pages nicely and more-or-less as they were designed, as S-A pointed out. Ok, it has a few security issues now and then, but that's what the patches are for... a small price to pay for not getting angry when images etc. don't load for whatever reason with other browsers.

I do occasionally use Opera 7.11 for it's tabbed features but haven't found it any quicker than IE and it uses more screen real estate - good skinning abilities though. I dabbled with Firefox last year but wasn't that impressed - it felt slow and cumbersome and handled Java apps badly, and the menu structure was all over the place. Maybe I'll have another look at it when it's been further developed.

Bluewave said:
I dabbled with Firefox last year but wasn't that impressed - it felt slow and cumbersome and handled Java apps badly, and the menu structure was all over the place. Maybe I'll have another look at it when it's been further developed.

I had the same experience: Firefox 0.9 was awful, IMHO. In fairness, the 1.x release is much better - but I still don't see any compelling reason to convert from IE.

I've been using both Firefox and Thunderbird as my default browser/email clients, and I have to say at the moment I find it infinately preferable to IE.

However.

You still need to have IE as a backup browser - there are plenty of sites that will just not accomodate Firefox at all, or the display is so badly laid out that it can be almost unreadable. I also still use MS Outlook for work purposes.

But from a security point of view, I can't fault it. I now get very few (if any) tracking cookies to worry about, absolutely zero pop-ups of any kind, and I think the tabbed browsing is a godsend. Also, Firefox supports an FTP function directly from the browser, which I do find useful (but if you're not sending stuff to FTP servers, you won't :))

Firefox may seem clumsy - if you have not enabled "smooth scrolling" - Tools - Options - Advanced - Browsing - then tick "Use smooth scrolling".

Cheers

jtrader.

But from a security point of view, I can't fault it. I now get very few (if any) tracking cookies to worry about, absolutely zero pop-ups of any kind, and I think the tabbed browsing is a godsend. Also, Firefox supports an FTP function directly from the browser, which I do find useful (but if you're not sending stuff to FTP servers, you won't )
Agree completely.. I used to have to run Adaware, Spybot every day and had extreme difficulty clearing cache when using IE, now I rarely get these problems!

Logging out of T2W

I use Firefox 1.0 - and have found that I can't log out of T2W. Can other Firefox users do this?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Racer said:
Agree completely.. I used to have to run Adaware, Spybot every day and had extreme difficulty clearing cache when using IE, now I rarely get these problems!

I downloaded a massive HOSTS file which seems to do an excellent job of stopping many trackers and dodgy websites/ads/popups from loading (http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html for more info or Google). However, one still has to be careful with ActiveX pages.

Last month I ran Ad-aware, Spybot and Antispyware to clear out my machine completely - actually, there wasn't too much on it anyway.

Then, the following week I only used Opera for all my internet browsing. A scan for "nasties" the following Saturday revealed only 6 tracking cookies which is not really so serious.

The next week I only used IE 6 and again, scanned on the following Saturday and only 7 tracking cookies were found.

My surfing for both weeks saw me visiting the same websites I normally do, like Hotmail, T2W, Dpreview etc. with the occasional new Google search. Conclusion? Cookies can get still get through with high security levels but they are not of the particularly malicious variety.

I should say at this point that I only use the IE firewall which is not so hot, and all other security updates installed including SP1, but not 2, as it caused problems with my hardware.

It'd be interesting to run a similar comparison with Firefox, although I do'nt think there would be many differences as my HOSTS file is doing such a stirling job. As long as I continue to be careful with ActiveX webpages and don't run any new *.exe that may have downloaded themselves onto my machine, I can control spyware effectively enough.

Mozilla Thunderbird - inbox - disappearing emails

Hi

i'm having a problem with emails disappearing from my Thunderbird inbox.

I can receive emails without problem, they go into my inbox etc. but when I close Thunderbird and re-open it, the emails that were in my inbox have vanished and are nowhere to be found. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Many thanks

jtrader.

I use thunderbird for email (for the junk mail filters) but prefer Avant Browser to Firefox (faster and good security features). I also use a hosts file to cut down on the number of adverts.

jtrader, are you certain that you don't have any rules that are removing them?

Hi Kiwi

if I do have any rules that ensure that inbox items disappear once Thunderbird has been closed, I cannot find the rule under Tools - accounts settings, or options, or junk mail controls.

Cheers

jtrader.