Money Management and its role in a trading strategy.

MrGecko

Money management does not contribute expectancy to a trading strategy – it determines the “half life” of a trading strategy, and that’s it. Money Management, in and of itself, doesn’t make you any money.

I will explain how this is the case by drawing an analogy between a trading strategy and a Formula 1 racing car.

Broadly speaking, there are three factors involved in making an F1 car go quickly round the racing track:

1. The Engine
An F1 car won’t go anywhere without an engine and petrol to fuel it. In the case of motor racing, a bigger engine can help you go faster round the track; this is not necessarily the case in the markets (unless you are swinging serious coin around). Certainly it is not a factor for the likes of (most) here – having more money wouldn’t make you trade “better”, but with none you can’t do anything. So having money is important.

2. Driver Talent
At any time the driver of an F1 car has 4 options presented to him: accelerate and turn left, accelerate and keep straight, accelerate and turn right or hit the brake. As with trading, there are 4 options on the table at any one time: Go Long, Hold, Go Short, and Close/Stay Flat. His skill as a driver is determined by choosing to do the right thing at the right time.

3. Aerodynamics
Aerodynamics are to an F1 car what Money Management is to a trading strategy. They keep it on the road. During an F1 season, the aerodynamics are changed according to the layout of the track; low aerodynamics mean the car can go very, very quickly – but will struggle to turn very tight corners (think Monza or Spa). High aerodynamics mean the top speed of the car is reduced, but it can turn on a 50 pence piece (a lá Monaco). And so it is with trading, bar one crucial factor – in trading, we can’t see the road ahead. We can put “low downforce” aerodynamics on our trading strategy and race ahead of the risk-free rate, and provided there are no sharp turns ahead we can make a packet (Spanish69 anyone?)- but if we find ourselves doing 220mph right before a hairpin, we’re ****ed; the aerodynamics of our car mean we can’t make the turn and we crash out of the race. On the other hand, we can compromise our top speed and set our car to “high downforce” aerodynamics, and compromise on our lap time – in order that we can make any sharp turns that come before us. We are never going to be quickest, in fact we often get lapped, but at least we are still racing.

The conclusion to draw is this: Trading strategy is what makes profits; Money management determines how long you can last vs. how much you make. It is not possible to consistently draw profits from the market if one doesn’t have a talented driver in the cockpit – a driver that makes a pretty good job of going long/short, holding or closing when he can’t see what lies ahead.

Money management can’t do that for you.

Last edited:
As a Formula 1 nut this is an awesome analogy. You could go one further and say different trading styles would equate to different tracks... Scalping (Monaco), Day trading (Suzuka) and Swing Trading (Monza) which all require different driver (Trader) qualities to be fast (profitable).

Or is that going too far... ?

It is not possible to consistently draw profits from the market if one doesn’t have a talented driver in the cockpit – a driver that makes a pretty good job of going long/short, holding or closing when he can’t see what lies ahead.

Given that this suggests the driver could in fact be unable to drive (or blind) doesn't that perhaps suggest MM is in fact everything? Just asking like...:D

Given that this suggests the driver could in fact be unable to drive (or blind) doesn't that perhaps suggest MM is in fact everything? Just asking like...:D

Q.E.D.

If you can't see down the road, it don't matter what your aerodynamics are.

To make money, you need to accept risk. Money Management isn't accepting risk.

I think in analogy and yours is a good one.

You must survive to thrive and money management is about survival. I especially like the "half life" reference.

Nice post,
I was always taught, "protect your capital" same as in the likes of poker. That money is all you have exploit weakness in others and take theirs.

Lodian

I'm surprised that some of the words used here got past the rude word filter

COCKpit
ANALogy

And to think, no-one has mentioned Jensen BUTTon yet.

What the DICKens is going on??

Money management doesn't give you an edge.

There, 7 words, that's all you needed to type, unless I'm missing something, which seems to be the case, anyone care to enlighten me?

anyone fink all this talk about edge is kinda poopeh, like unless you're system trading...?

Money management does not contribute expectancy to a trading strategy – it determines the “half life” of a trading strategy, and that’s it. Money Management, in and of itself, doesn’t make you any money.

I will explain how this is the case by drawing an analogy between a trading strategy and a Formula 1 racing car.

Broadly speaking, there are three factors involved in making an F1 car go quickly round the racing track:

1. The Engine
An F1 car won’t go anywhere without an engine and petrol to fuel it. In the case of motor racing, a bigger engine can help you go faster round the track; this is not necessarily the case in the markets (unless you are swinging serious coin around). Certainly it is not a factor for the likes of (most) here – having more money wouldn’t make you trade “better”, but with none you can’t do anything. So having money is important.

2. Driver Talent
At any time the driver of an F1 car has 4 options presented to him: accelerate and turn left, accelerate and keep straight, accelerate and turn right or hit the brake. As with trading, there are 4 options on the table at any one time: Go Long, Hold, Go Short, and Close/Stay Flat. His skill as a driver is determined by choosing to do the right thing at the right time.

3. Aerodynamics
Aerodynamics are to an F1 car what Money Management is to a trading strategy. They keep it on the road. During an F1 season, the aerodynamics are changed according to the layout of the track; low aerodynamics mean the car can go very, very quickly – but will struggle to turn very tight corners (think Monza or Spa). High aerodynamics mean the top speed of the car is reduced, but it can turn on a 50 pence piece (a lá Monaco). And so it is with trading, bar one crucial factor – in trading, we can’t see the road ahead. We can put “low downforce” aerodynamics on our trading strategy and race ahead of the risk-free rate, and provided there are no sharp turns ahead we can make a packet (Spanish69 anyone?)- but if we find ourselves doing 220mph right before a hairpin, we’re ****ed; the aerodynamics of our car mean we can’t make the turn and we crash out of the race. On the other hand, we can compromise our top speed and set our car to “high downforce” aerodynamics, and compromise on our lap time – in order that we can make any sharp turns that come before us. We are never going to be quickest, in fact we often get lapped, but at least we are still racing.

The conclusion to draw is this: Trading strategy is what makes profits; Money management determines how long you can last vs. how much you make. It is not possible to consistently draw profits from the market if one doesn’t have a talented driver in the cockpit – a driver that makes a pretty good job of going long/short, holding or closing when he can’t see what lies ahead.

The more I think about it the more I class money management with an arbitrary label. You say it doesn't doesn't dictate your profits and I say that without it your full potential cannot be realised.

Nobody knows where price will ultimately go and yes your free to tell me no 5hit Sherlock. The point is without money management, which has many facets, how do you lock in profits, how do you protect profits, how do you leave a little on in case you get a runner "situation specific with this on of course"

All these scenarios are categorised as money management. To sum this post up, you say money management doesn't make you money, I would have to disagree and say that without it, trading is one dimensional ( enter and exit only). Your profitability factor is vastly enhanced with money management and therefore it does make you money.