Money from rubbish ?

Pat494

Legendary member
I see Rome amongst others have a terrible problem of rubbish collection and disposal. Not easy to get rid of such mountains of trash. However I have an idea.
The idea is to dispose of the rubbish by literally tipping it into active volcanoes and poooooof… It's gone !!
Cities would pay big bucks to just get rid of it...……...

Last edited:
I see Rome amongst others have a terrible problem of rubbish collection and disposal. Not easy to get rid of such mountains of trash. However I have an idea.
The idea is to dispose of the rubbish by literally tipping it into active volcanoes and poooooof… It's gone !!

ummm...i can see a few flaws in the plan dude ........but keep going !

Burning rubbish in a volcano would product toxic smokes.
Incinerators have filters scrubbers and catalysts to remove them.
For example if you burn vinylic plastics you produce HCl , pretty bad...

I always wondered if you could cook hot dogs or hamburgers by getting near flowing lava. At least the slow kind that moves along inches at a time. Hawaii sometimes has some of those flows that creep along slowly. :p

Loads of money in rubbish Pat.
Most people are clueless though, as usual, and only see rubbish as an inconvenience.

There's a good reason why local councils operate recycling centers. They will tell you they are mandated by Govt to deal with rubbish disposal etc. and they charge you in the Council Tax to get rid of it ! But they also have many other revenue streams in the overall process.
Of course, they don't tell you about this bit. They like you to believe that rubbish is a problem.

Cardboard
£40.00 - £70.00 per ton
Newspapers £53.00 per ton
Appliances Resold to the public. or processed and sorted for plastics/ metals recovery etc.
Ferrous Metals £50.00 - £100.00 per ton
Non Ferrous Metals £2000.00 - £3600.00 per ton
Wood - various uses including biomass pellets (fuel for power stations)
Plastics - most can be pelletised and reused
Organic waste - produces syngas used as a fuel to produce heat and electricity
Landfill waste - similar process as organic waste, producing gases which power generators which are run at the landfill site and the electricity produced fed into the grid.

There is good money in all of that lot if you have the facilities and know how.

So the very last thing we should do is chuck it in a volcano as it makes no sense whatsoever.

Most people are clueless though, as usual, and only see rubbish as an inconvenience.

There's a good reason why local councils operate recycling centers. They will tell you they are mandated by Govt to deal with rubbish disposal etc. and they charge you in the Council Tax to get rid of it ! But they also have many other revenue streams in the overall process.
Of course, they don't tell you about this bit. They like you to believe that rubbish is a problem.

Cardboard
£40.00 - £70.00 per ton
Appliances Resold to the public. or processed and sorted for plastics/ metals recovery etc.
Landfill waste - similar process as organic waste, producing gases which power generators which are run at the landfill site and the electricity produced fed into the grid.

So the very last thing we should do is chuck it in a volcano as it makes no sense whatsoever.
Good point CV but after the guys have pulled out the choicest bits moneywise what about the residue ? Landfill maybe ?

Cardboard
£40.00 - £70.00 per ton

Well from what I heard the biggest money is earned on rubbish. At least this is what my friend says.