MLDownloader now won't download quotes

BP48072

Is anybody else experiencing the same problem and knows how to fix it?

It says "Could not connect to the Internet! (time out)". Yet my internet connection does work, yet now I always get the above message. I heard previously that Yahoo changed something that caused my HQuote Pro to stop downloading quotes, so is it the same issue with MLDownloader? It at least seemed to work for a short while after HQuote Pro stopped downloading quotes, but now has stopped working.

I did try using the alternative "EOD Data Server" in MLDownloader, but it was confusing in that it seemed to show "Google Finance" after I had chosen "msn.com" from the 'EOD Data Server" menu, and so the alternative server wouldn't download quotes either. So at this point I have no way to download quotes.

:confused:

Brian

Yahoo changed the API due to merge with Verizon, people in key positions were fired or left, the data is all messed up now, no adjusted close. MSN stopped long ago. Only Amibroker developer was able to fix Amiquote to download from yahoo but how long will that work? It seems free is coming to an end.

That is a pity as Ive been a long time ML-Downloader user. I can't get no to trading-tools.com website either. Is it down for everyone or just me?

regards

Paul

One answer - although it won't save your work - is to download NinjaTrader (free) and use its free EOD data. You can leave it and all charts open until you have to close it for a Windows update.

This idiot Peter Zierl has the software verufy that it is registered (paid for) through his server. If you notice everytime his trading-tools.com is down, the ML Downloader does not work. Nothing to do with Yahoo, this jackass obviously can not pay his server bill, and us paying customers are ripped off because of the way he wrote the software, unless someone can find a hacker that can take this server verification off.

It says "Could not connect to the Internet! (time out)". Yet my internet connection does work, yet now I always get the above message. I heard previously that Yahoo changed something that caused my HQuote Pro to stop downloading quotes, so is it the same issue with MLDownloader? It at least seemed to work for a short while after HQuote Pro stopped downloading quotes, but now has stopped working.

I did try using the alternative "EOD Data Server" in MLDownloader, but it was confusing in that it seemed to show "Google Finance" after I had chosen "msn.com" from the 'EOD Data Server" menu, and so the alternative server wouldn't download quotes either. So at this point I have no way to download quotes.

:confused:

Brian

Now Working cause site is back up

again now working cause his site is up. I encourage everyone to email this idiot and force him to get rid of the server check, I would be glad to investigate a class action against him.

NinjaTrader Does save your work

One answer - although it won't save your work - is to download NinjaTrader (free) and use its free EOD data. You can leave it and all charts open until you have to close it for a Windows update.

NinjaTrader does save work. They are called "Workspaces" and you can save them by hovering your cursor over the Workspace name and a menu will appear to your right which includes options such as Save, Save As, Close, Remove. I have an S&P 500 workspace saved that has 6 different charts in it. They look like worksheets within an Excel workbook in that they appear as tabs at the bottom of the workspace.

Training on Charts and Workspaces is available on YouTube.

As for MLDownloader, it still doesn't work for me even when the site trading-tools.com is up. I don't see how that site could even be involved in the data download process, given that all the MLDownloader setup screens point to Yahoo Finance, not trading-tools.com. The reason is simple: Yahoo Finance has the data, not trading-tools .com.

Last edited:
MLDownLoader proxy server problem

: confused:

Brian

....I am an avid MLDownLoader user despite the difficulty getting these folks to respond to me when I contact them via email or through their correspondence area on their web site.

Bottom line... As of Nov 6 2017, the get latest quotes function produces an error with the yahoo proxy server. The get historical data function does work when set to the GOOGLE data feed. It only provides data from the last completed trading day. Here I only look at the US-based markets. I can not speak to the European markets. If you are at the same place wI can forward the thoughts below. If you are not able to get to this condition I am experiencing, I can share what I do to get the historical data running.

------------------------------------------

I have concluded that the programmer(s) at MLDownLoader have established a yahoo proxy to back fill interday data. They also have used it, up until recently, to [tovide some of the yahoo symbols such as ^GSPC... the S&P500 data. This symbol faults on the google, historical data feed, but will be back filled into the data stored locally on your machine.

I will send dome more emails to the support email and website for MLDownLoader. I suggest you do the same to get their attention.

-------------------------------------

If you are unable to have the get Historical data function to work, let me know and I will address that in a separate thread, ... one different on this inability to access the yahoo proxy server...

[note there is information in the MLDownLoader manual on setting up port 8080 in case that path way is not currently enabled by your internet provider]

Bob

....I am an avid MLDownLoader user despite the difficulty getting these folks to respond to me when I contact them via email or through their correspondence area on their web site.

Bottom line... As of Nov 6 2017, the get latest quotes function produces an error with the yahoo proxy server. The get historical data function does work when set to the GOOGLE data feed. It only provides data from the last completed trading day. Here I only look at the US-based markets. I can not speak to the European markets. If you are at the same place wI can forward the thoughts below. If you are not able to get to this condition I am experiencing, I can share what I do to get the historical data running.

------------------------------------------

I have concluded that the programmer(s) at MLDownLoader have established a yahoo proxy to back fill interday data. They also have used it, up until recently, to [tovide some of the yahoo symbols such as ^GSPC... the S&P500 data. This symbol faults on the google, historical data feed, but will be back filled into the data stored locally on your machine.

I will send dome more emails to the support email and website for MLDownLoader. I suggest you do the same to get their attention.

-------------------------------------

If you are unable to have the get Historical data function to work, let me know and I will address that in a separate thread, ... one different on this inability to access the yahoo proxy server...

[note there is information in the MLDownLoader manual on setting up port 8080 in case that path way is not currently enabled by your internet provider]

Bob

ML Downloader used to be a very useful little facility for getting cheap and dirty end of day data from you Yahoo etc. In May of this year Yahoo changed their API and ML downloader no longer works as advertised. There is zero support from the company yet they are still selling the software. I have concluded that the original programmer of the software has long since gone and they are not prepared to do maintenance. It will still download end of day (DELETED and intraday) updates from MSN but their data is very unreliable and sometimes totally incorrect, quite often to the point of being completely useless.

For free EOD data these people are pretty good http://eoddata.com/default.aspx and they sell historic data at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:
MLDownloader death since 01 November 2017

ML Downloader used to be a very useful little facility for getting cheap and dirty end of day data from you Yahoo etc. In May of this year Yahoo changed their API and ML downloader no longer works as advertised. There is zero support from the company yet they are still selling the software. I have concluded that the original programmer of the software has long since gone and they are not prepared to do maintenance. It will still download end of day (DELETED and intraday) updates from MSN but their data is very unreliable and sometimes totally incorrect, quite often to the point of being completely useless.

For free EOD data these people are pretty good http://eoddata.com/default.aspx and they sell historic data at very reasonable prices.

I use MLDownloader since 2006 and it works fine until 2017. I download german DAX and EUROSTOXX 50 Quotes EOD and DJI, S&P 500, NASDAQ 100 and a handfull selected symbols like N225, HSI, ASX and stock quotes related to that markets I follow. It worked for me good enough until 2017. I used it until April 2017 with a old Win XP home Sony Vaio Laptop and was lucky that it worked fine also with Win 10 home since April 2017 at my newer Sony Vaio Laptop.:clap:
It happens, that MLDownloader worked not for some days and the reason seems maintanance the Website, because the Distributors Website was also unreachable that disconnected days. Not so bad...
But since 01 November 2017 NOTHING WORKS and I get the message 'Yahoo Proxy Server error, Please download later..." blah blah
Trying to use Google makes no difference at all, it is also NOT POSSIBLE to get any Quote.
Sending a email to the Support is like speaking to god - no answers. Hell damn http://www.trading-tools.com/

To clear the point, if this could be a to a single computer relating problem - I have MLDownloader installed at a second Windows 2003 Server PC, that i use not the same time I use the laptop. This MLDownloader at the other PC also shows no longer any download functionality having the same error message as the laptop.

So i don't write a email to the Support because it makes no sense and different.
I wait and think with good luck MLDownloader gets back to work, because the Software is distributed at their Website.
is their anyone knowing more? thx:cry:
:devilish::(:idea:

Attachments

• IMG_9255.JPG
    IMG_9255.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_9256.JPG
    IMG_9256.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_9257.JPG
    IMG_9257.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
MLDownloader death since 01 November 2017

I use MLDownloader since 2006 and it was until 2017 a good source for EOD Quote data. I use it for German, European, US, Australian and Asian markets, Indices and stock quotes.
I used it until April 2017 at a 13y old Sony Vaio Win XP home laptop and since April 2017 at a newer Sony Vaio Win 10 home laptop - i was happy that it works fine with Win 10 at a very fast download speed.

It happens, that it didn't work for some days which seems maintanance reasons because the distributors Website was also down these days.

But since 01 November 2017 nothing works and the last quotes i get at 01 November 2017 have been for Australia, Japan and China.

The error message is 'Yahoo Proxy Server Problem. Please download the data again.

To clear the point, if this could be a to a single computer relating problem - I have MLDownloader installed at a second Windows 2003 Server PC, that i use not the same time I use the laptop. This MLDownloader at the other PC also shows no longer any download functionality having the same error message as the laptop.

Switching source to 'Google Finance' changes nothing and no quotes are downloaded in any way.

I hope that MLDownloader will work from one day to the other, because it is distributed at the Website www.trading-tools.com
and is not discontinued. It would be fine if someone know more about this, thx.

Attachments

• IMG_9253.JPG
    IMG_9253.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_9254.JPG
    IMG_9254.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
I use MLDownloader since 2006 and it was until 2017 a good source for EOD Quote data. I use it for German, European, US, Australian and Asian markets, Indices and stock quotes.
I used it until April 2017 at a 13y old Sony Vaio Win XP home laptop and since April 2017 at a newer Sony Vaio Win 10 home laptop - i was happy that it works fine with Win 10 at a very fast download speed.

It happens, that it didn't work for some days which seems maintanance reasons because the distributors Website was also down these days.

But since 01 November 2017 nothing works and the last quotes i get at 01 November 2017 have been for Australia, Japan and China.

The error message is 'Yahoo Proxy Server Problem. Please download the data again.'

Switching source to 'Google Finance' changes nothing and no quotes are downloaded in any way.

I hope that MLDownloader will work from one day to the other, because it is distributed at the Website www.trading-tools.com
and is not discontinued. It would be fine if someone know more about this, thx.

ML downloader is now virtually useless. They haven't updated the software to cope with the API changes at Yahoo (Amibroker have done so but even they still have a few glitches to sort out as far as I know). Can only assume that Yahoo don't want lots of people downloading loads of data at once. It is still possible to download historic data for individual tickers at Yahoo – into CSV file which can easily be manipulated for upload. Yahoo data is still useful if you have unsophisticated needs and don't mind lots of balls-aching manipulation and cleaning up of data. You are probably best buying the data elsewhere and using time saved to more than earn back the cost.

It is extremely unsatisfactory that the publishers of ML downloader still continue to sell it.

MLDownloader 7.1 official will no longer get Quotes from Google/Yahoo, API shut down

now it's official and the only positive Thing with this Information is that i no longer must ask me, if with my PC or IP-Adress or something else is something wrong.(n)

Read this headlines:

https://www.trading-tools.com/mldownloader-eod-historical-stock-quotes-data-feed-metastock-ASCII

or read this (if perhaps your Internet Provider has shut down Services and your Connection to save money:clap::devilish:):

"MLDownloader - Download EOD historical stock quotes for MetaStock and other data analysis applications
IMPORTANT: As Yahoo and Google shut down their API to download data for their site, MLDownloader cannot download data from Yahoo/Google server anymore. As both companies changed their policy and it is not allowed to download data from their site anymore, there will be no intentions from our site to establish a connection to this server. You can find more info here.":mad:

I ask me now, for what purpose someone will buy a MLDownloader license???:idea:

EZQuote 2.02 replaces my 95% useless MLDownloader

I found a replacement for the no longer working MLDownloader 7.1.

I try for a month - lease 8.90 USD - the EZQuote 2.02 from www.eztradingclub.com and it works with my Windows 10 but lets wishes open, Shows minor errors. But it can do what is important for me.
EZQuote can download a wide range of Symbols from all over the world. it has - as example - no problem with Australian Symbols like rrs.ax or European Indices like ^STOXX50E.
Thats remarkable after Yahoo and Google closed their doors for API download.(y)

For my luck the EZQuote 2.02 can update my existing MetaStock data that is Inbound into my Bulls Eye Broker software. I must not create new files which would cause the problem that I have a lot of work to join it to Bulls Eye Broker and create all my personal charts new with the description for the Elliot Waves.

Also a good function is the convert MetaStock into ASCII files which works fine for most stocks and Indices, but can't export symbols with older data (mass of records, the software crashes) such as the DJI, DJT, GSPC that I have as MetaStock beginning as example for DJI with

01/02/1930,248.48,252.29,241.78,244.20,2930000.00 :smart:

Yahoo made it possible, as it worked unlimited in 2006.

After one month lease and testing i will buy it if no bad things happen.:clap:

HSQuote much better than EZQuote

I found a replacement for the no longer working MLDownloader 7.1.

I try for a month - lease 8.90 USD - the EZQuote 2.02 from www.eztradingclub.com and it works with my Windows 10 but lets wishes open, Shows minor errors. But it can do what is important for me.
EZQuote can download a wide range of Symbols from all over the world. it has - as example - no problem with Australian Symbols like rrs.ax or European Indices like ^STOXX50E.
Thats remarkable after Yahoo and Google closed their doors for API download.(y)

For my luck the EZQuote 2.02 can update my existing MetaStock data that is Inbound into my Bulls Eye Broker software. I must not create new files which would cause the problem that I have a lot of work to join it to Bulls Eye Broker and create all my personal charts new with the description for the Elliot Waves.

Also a good function is the convert MetaStock into ASCII files which works fine for most stocks and Indices, but can't export symbols with older data (mass of records, the software crashes) such as the DJI, DJT, GSPC that I have as MetaStock beginning as example for DJI with

01/02/1930,248.48,252.29,241.78,244.20,2930000.00 :smart:

Yahoo made it possible, as it worked unlimited in 2006.

After one month lease and testing i will buy it if no bad things happen.:clap:

Tried EZQuote but on second day of trial it advised me that the trial period had expired. Two separate e-mail to their Support facility elicited nil response.

Have subsequently installed HSQuote which has far more functionality, is half the price and comes with excellent support: e-mailed a problem very late Saturday night and was surprised to have a helpful response early the next morning (Sunday) - I would not reasonably have expected anything before start of working week.

For traders requiring free EOD or 20 minute delayed intraday data (from numerous sources) HSQuote is an excellent solution. It also comes with basic charting and for a little more cost the "plus" version has a lot of extra facilities which may be useful to some people. Its most useful facility for me is to download free 20 minute delayed daily data intraday.

PS Mods: can't find a way to submit a review in the "Reviews" section.

Last edited:
Yahoo sold to Verizon

Yahoo was sold to Verizon and this is the reason MLDownloader no longer can use the free Yahoo Quotes - the new owner will not longer offer this free service because it makes no money, bucks, profits . bang bang.

thx Verizon
stop use Verizon

:mad::devilish::(

btw. - Marissa M. got over 180 Million USD from Verizon for her help to distribute Yahoo to Verizon

Last edited: