mini dow scalping

trader1641

mini dow trade in recent month

It seems to me that in the recent month or so in the mini dow --whenever I lift a offer or hit a bid a automated program instantly puts it a couple of ticks against me. Between the autotrading and the speed of the sweeps its become very difficult for me to make $ in the mini dow. Anyone else running into these problems recently? Any suggestions? I had some small success fading some moves that seem to move 5-7 ticks one way and then come right back.

thanks

I attended a chat room for a while during this year, and the person running the show, pointed us towards the quarter, half and full periods of each and every hour of the day to watch for "programme" type trades. It was remarkable how regular these moves occur, and whether or not it is "programme" trading is irrelevant - the important lesson is - "watch the clock"!
As for the 5-7 tick swings, all I can say is - that's the nature of the beast!
Hope this helps
Q

Scalping the mini Dow is difficult. It can jump 5 ticks against you in an eye blink. If you want to scalp there are better markets available.

JonnyT

This is not true scalping , which is buying on the bid and selling on the offer.

As such any instrument would be difficult to quasi - scalp.

I have had problems with IB and the YM the past few weeks. I use stop limit orders to open trades, and that works fine, but when I close a trade, it takes longer to close than it used to. I tried changing to market orders when I close a trade but it still takes longer than it did a few weeks ago. I have changed my PC, so thought it might be something wrong with my setup but perhaps not. Not a huge problem for me, as I don't scalp but it would be nice to get a quick close of trade.

I have not had a problem with the speed of IB.

Yesterday using Bracket-trader with IB I opened a trade with a market order and closed for a profit with a limit order in just 8 seconds.

JonnyT said:
Scalping the mini Dow is difficult. It can jump 5 ticks against you in an eye blink. If you want to scalp there are better markets available.

JonnyT

If you are on the correct side, it can jump 5 ticks in you favour in an eye blink ;)

badtrader said:
If you are on the correct side, it can jump 5 ticks in you favour in an eye blink ;)

And if you swing it , it could jump 150 pts in your favour . So why pseudo-scalp ? why not not swing or do the real thing :?:

I have not noticed that. I scalp the emini's using the tick-bars.
the issue is the that when you place limit orders you are not sure to be filled. Your system results therefore are flawed and I like to systematic. I have experienced however thaa more than 60% of my limit orders are filled.

URL removed by Rossored

Stockjunkie said:
This is not true scalping , which is buying on the bid and selling on the offer.

As such any instrument would be difficult to quasi - scalp.

Any suggestions as to where to look to find an explanation of true scalping?

True scalping is buying the bid and selling the offer, with the cost of commission and risk/trend days, it will kill you, it is best done in the s&p pits. if you want to scalp look for 3 to 6 pips,

It could also be that your data is slow hence causing a trade not to be accepted straight away this happens with esignal sometimes

You gotta be kidding me?

8 secs to enter a trade on the YM? It takes me less than a half second. Zap.
don't trade extremely tight time frames. Find large daily movements...or prepared to get scalped by the spread, comission and other traders!