Microsoft Visual C# - help

Pat494

Legendary member
I thought I would change from Metastock to Ninjatrader and bought the Microsoft book - Visual C# to understand some of the programming. What a nightmare so far. The enclosed CD disc loads but doesn't seem to be what it is billed in the book. It is in cs files that need another prog to open them. I bought a prog off the web and it hasn't worked. If I open them in word I get the gobblygook programming.

No support from Microsoft

I thought I would change from Metastock to Ninjatrader and bought the Microsoft book - Visual C# to understand some of the programming. What a nightmare so far. The enclosed CD disc loads but doesn't seem to be what it is billed in the book. It is in cs files that need another prog to open them. I bought a prog off the web and it hasn't worked. If I open them in word I get the gobblygook programming.

CS files are C# source code files. You should be able to see them with C# Express which is free and available from Microsoft. How else do you expect to program without the IDE?

Thanks a lot guys ( NT and Hare )
I will download it now

I downloaded Visual Express as suggested but still get the same - see below. Doesn't look quite right ?

Attachments

• chapter_1.png
    chapter_1.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 474
What error are you getting? The project would need to reference modules for the trading platform.

Doesn't look quite right ?

Well it doesn't hep to look at the wrong file. Maybe if you try clicking some other tabs, the right file might show.

It's erroneous for people to think programming is easier than trading. It takes years of effort and some talent to become productively proficient. There ain't no double your money in a month type of thing in this game.

I downloaded Visual Express as suggested but still get the same - see below. Doesn't look quite right ?

Put your book away for now because you are rushing in without the basics.

Learn the difference between a Console Application and Windows Form Application.

1) A Console application

- Find a simple 'Hello world' console tutorial online, Microsoft has some excellent tutorials.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288463(VS.71).aspx

- Do a few more Console application tutorials

2) Windows Form Applications

-Do some tutorials.

Are you doing this for fun? Because I don't see why you need to learn programming just to trade. Some knowledge of the fundamentals, a couple of lines on the chart and some basic candlesticks pattern is all you need to start trading. After that, fine tune your money management, your mind, your body etc.. No need any programming. You are making it hard on yourself :)

Some knowledge of the fundamentals, a couple of lines on the chart and some basic candlesticks pattern is all you need to start trading.
Why make it so difficult? To start trading all you need is an ability to buy and sell and any decent platform will give it to you.

Are you doing this for fun? Because I don't see why you need to learn programming just to trade. Some knowledge of the fundamentals, a couple of lines on the chart and some basic candlesticks pattern is all you need to start trading. After that, fine tune your money management, your mind, your body etc.. No need any programming. You are making it hard on yourself :)

I have traded a lot but I thought with a programming language and a good platform I could fine tune some ideas and who knows what might be at the end of the rainbow !!!!!!!!!!!

:smart:

Right - first thing first - throw that Microsoft Book away.

Second thing - get the book "Sams Teach Yourself Visual C# 2008 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit".

NinjaTrader uses a very small subset of C# - you really need to just understand the basic syntax and the object model.

Go through "Sams" book - and then start hacking away at it. I'd start off by playing around with their onMarketData event - that will give you a good idea how the events work.

If you go through the 1800 page Microsoft book - you'll probably use 40 pages worth with your Ninja coding.

If you have any questions on it - feel free to ask.

This isn't strictly true.

I don't believe that many retailers are using these platforms to succesfully run automated strategies - I think that's a pipe dream..

For instance, if you want to run off some statistics, then code will certainly help you to do that.

When I was on Tradestation, I thought their trade management sucked. So I wrote modules that put on OCO exit orders for me once they'd detected a new entry. I then managed those manually.

I ended up writing my own Time & Sales and DOM because I didn't like the way the data was presented.

I designed a small app for a boutique hedge fund to help their researchers track certain stocks and preserving research history - saved them 20 hours a week in research at least.

I think there's a lot of scope for making life easier with a bit of coding. It won't turn you into a trader but it certainly can make life much smoother.

This isn't strictly true.

I don't believe that many retailers are using these platforms to succesfully run automated strategies - I think that's a pipe dream..

you mis-understood what I am saying to the OP. But never mind.

Right - first thing first - throw that Microsoft Book away.

Second thing - get the book "Sams Teach Yourself Visual C# 2008 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit".

NinjaTrader uses a very small subset of C# - you really need to just understand the basic syntax and the object model.

Go through "Sams" book - and then start hacking away at it. I'd start off by playing around with their onMarketData event - that will give you a good idea how the events work.

If you go through the 1800 page Microsoft book - you'll probably use 40 pages worth with your Ninja coding.

If you have any questions on it - feel free to ask.

Thanks
pity I didn't know earlier. It'll be a reference anyway if I ever get past square 1.