Microsoft Edge: as good as Chrome?

trendie

Legendary member
Reviews I can find seem to think Edge is slightly better than Chrome, re: better use of PC resources, browser extensions, skins, etc.
It seems that Edge has better privacy, but is that right? After all, its Microsoft!

Have they bested Chrome?
Does any of it matter when seen through a VPN?
Any clever features you like?

Mornin' trendie,
I switched over to Chrome 18 month ago and I'm a convert. I love it - mainly because for a technophobe like me, I don't have to worry about malware, viruses and stuff going wrong. It just works - very well - Google does it all which is fine by me. This is the model I have: Acer Chromebook R13. It's as fast today as the day I bought it and I can have multiple windows open simultaneously and toggle between them with ease without the machine having a hissy fit. Never been able to do that with any windows lappy I've ever owned! However, I accept there are limitations to using Chrome - especially for traders - as you're restricted to using the browser. So, for example, if you're a MT4 user and you want a custom built plug-in to enable you to trade range bars (which aren't a default option on MT4) - you're stuffed.

To conclude, Chrome is brilliant for surfin' the net, watching YouTube and e-mail - but not a good option if you want to install meaty software and save large files to your hard drive.
Tim.

I've read a few reviews of Edge and there was nothing convincing so far for the home user with modest browsing requirements to justify a change from Chrome. But I'm happy to be proven wrong here...
Slight edge, as has been said, on resources and privacy but if these were serious issues the user should have already found ways round them - I'm not sure this minor improvement through using Edge would be enough.

Any comparison about memory usage?
speed is difficult to evaluate properly

Since Microsoft Edge and Chrome are based on Chromium, they will likely have similar memory usage.
Google's Chrome browser has a reputation for being a memory hog. But thanks to changes in Windows 10 version 2004, the May 2020 Update, both Chrome and Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser will use a lot less memory.

Microsoft has announced major memory-use reductions in its Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows 10 2004 that appear to come from its recently announced Project Reunion, a new API that attempts to unify Win32 and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps.

Edge = Ѕhit
Chrome = Ѕhit
Firefox = THE BEST! The 'picture-in-picture' mode on YouTube videos is brilliant. Ad suppression features, brilliant.

I have installed it on my computer and It is fast and good to use but still, I prefer to use Chrome.