Microsoft Critical Updates

Like anyone else who's suffered from first releases (included SPs and Critical Updates) I tend to wait until the eager beavers have downloaded the latest releases to see what else comes out of the woodwork.

While I'm not suggesting anyone else would want to do the same, the above article does state that anyone using a personal firewall would already have some protection from the security holes to which MS allude.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has downloaded the Critical Updates though.

Just a quick echo of The Brambles comment. Read a story once about a M$ update. Guy updated last thing on Friday night with a patch out that day. Couldn't access the web first thing Monday. Patch had blocked internet access. Wasn't until about Wednesday that M$ released a fix for the blocking issue. They made no comments on their website and just issued the fix unannounced. Guy couldn't get net access for 2 days. So I too always wait a coulpe of days to see if there are any issues with patches as some of the patches cannot be reversed once installed.

Don't want to deter anyone from not taking on the patches themselves but this is just my own thoughts which echo brambles.

Well, I took the patches yesterday, and I'm still here. Everything functions as normal. Dare you click that "update" button though?? LOL

They’re working for me too – so far so good – but, don’t forget to check that they’ve installed properly. Belarc advisor will tell you whether they have or not and you can get Belarc here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

You’ll probably find that it would be a good idea to check to see if there’s been an update for your MS Office products as well – for example, for Outlook among others.

HTH :)

Cheers

Mayfly

I've put the fixes on one machine (this one) and, as you can see, it's still working - so far. Of course I took a full system backup before I did it making it easy to go back.

Paul

I put them on 2 machines. This one is OK. The other one is playing up with the internet so I might just be uninstalling :cheesy:

I've got a firewall which makes me slighty less vulnerable anyway so might just wait till the weekend for the updates. That way if it goes horribly wrong I have a day or so to try and retrieve the situation :)

Doesn't M$ say that some of the updates can't be undone??? Maybe that has something to do with it.....but then again why am I offering advice, wot I know about computers....postage stamps...you know the score :)

rossored said:
Wll, I tok the pahes yestay, nd I'm sll here. Evering functns s rmal. Dae y click tht "ute" buttonhogh?? LOL

RR - what's up?

You didn't download that buggy Critical Update did you?

OM
Scotty sniffer is v useful

MFly
Belarc is too

Now got more protection than productive programs I think. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre!

Spend as much time going through computer checking as I do on pre trading briefing.

Oh well back to the email (spam)

Attachments

• heehaw.mp3
    230.4 KB · Views: 263
I still remember from my Engineering days: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

The number of times I've seen even in large organisations computers not working properly on a Monday Morning is horrendous and it happens because people have loaded brand spanking new updates over the weekend and they haven't worked or been tested properly with the conseqent chaos on the Monday.

I'm convinced that we'd be a lot better off without the so called "computer gurus" who have no idea how ordinary users like us work.

While some geeky guy is playing around with the Internet connections and rabbiting on about servers / or whatever I've probably missed half a dozen profitable trades. :D

So long as you have a decent firewall -- just update your computers when YOU feel you need to - not just because a new release appears on the scene.

Wait a few weeks and backup first.

Thank goodness the general IT business is in terminal decline -- we might actually get to USE our computers profitably now instead of other people playing with them.

I'm grateful for the computer know how diseminated on this board -- it's the so called semi literate pony-tailed 17 year old "professional" IT geeks who usually infest the lower floors of large organisations that I have trouble with.

Last edited:
Agreed, but too many people ignore critical updates, some of which are chasing the latest viruses.
Just a reminder to everybody to stay up to date on security.

I agree with 1Kyle. A good firewall ( hardware router) +AV software and you're pretty well sorted. Oh, and don't let the kids use your trading machine to access the WWW and download all that Kazza stuff.....It WILL end in tears.