metatrader newbie...please help

jonboy123

hi
ive just downloaded and installed metatrader 4.
Im confused.

I just want to test it out, the demo.

Can i analyse UK FTSE company stocks with it?
Or is it only for USA markets and forex and CFDs?

None of the account options are making sense, they are either forex or some other foreign thing.
I live in uk so just want to check out uk LSE stocks.

I heard metatrader works out support and resistance for you etc.

thanks.
pc only? not mac?

hi
ive just downloaded and installed metatrader 4.
Im confused.

I just want to test it out, the demo.

Can i analyse UK FTSE company stocks with it?
Or is it only for USA markets and forex and CFDs?

None of the account options are making sense, they are either forex or some other foreign thing.
I live in uk so just want to check out uk LSE stocks.

I heard metatrader works out support and resistance for you etc.

thanks.
pc only? not mac?
Some MT4 brokers offers stocks. Whether it is only for the US market I don't know. Great platform, as you can customize it to suit your needs. Some traders say that the MT4 platform is not ideal for stocks.

Some MT4 brokers offers stocks. Whether it is only for the US market I don't know. Great platform, as you can customize it to suit your needs. Some traders say that the MT4 platform is not ideal for stocks.

thanks.
ive just tried ODL version of MT4...they say they do cfd....but my only account options are forex....so cant seem to open a demo account without accepting forex.

(yeah i just wanna check it out for analysis and learning....not actual trading)

thanks.
ive just tried ODL version of MT4...they say they do cfd....but my only account options are forex....so cant seem to open a demo account without accepting forex.

(yeah i just wanna check it out for analysis and learning....not actual trading)
Check out Broco Trader. In the MT4 platform, click on View, "show it all" in " Market watch".

Check out Broco Trader. In the MT4 platform, click on View, "show it all" in " Market watch".

yeah odl email support said this too.
view>show it all.

but.... can i not see individual UK FTSE companies data/charts?
the new window menu, does not have a window for this i think.... mostly forex things.

yeah odl email support said this too.
view>show it all.

but.... can i not see individual UK FTSE companies data/charts?
the new window menu, does not have a window for this i think.... mostly forex things.
MT4, File, "New chart". Should give options on UK stocks or just stocks.

MT4, File, "New chart". Should give options on UK stocks or just stocks.

thats the same as window>new window menu....

i cant find cfds for UK FTSE companies in that list......

(sorry.... and thanks. )

thats the same as window>new window menu....

i cant find cfds for UK FTSE companies in that list......

(sorry.... and thanks. )
I just installed ODL's MT4. When installing the platform I marked the second choice Forex/USD. "show all" in Market watch. A few UK CFDs stocks i available, as well as some US stocks.

I just installed ODL's MT4. When installing the platform I marked the second choice Forex/USD. "show all" in Market watch. A few UK CFDs stocks i available, as well as some US stocks.

can you see names of uk companies and charts for their stock data?

i chose forex/oil/cfd when installing...... ill have a look when i get home.......cheers.

can you see names of uk companies and charts for their stock data?

i chose forex/oil/cfd when installing...... ill have a look when i get home.......cheers.
Yes, CFDs UK stocks. I did have a look at one CFDs UK stock chart as well.

Yes, CFDs UK stocks. I did have a look at one CFDs UK stock chart as well.

cheers.
bottom right hand corner of my screen in mt4 it says "no connection".

when i try to open up a chart for indices uk 100, it jsut says "waiting for update" and is stuck in that state.
is this where the uk ftse data is? (indices uk 100)?

when you open an account, it asks how much you wanna deposit....is this fake pretend money? i might just open a forex account to get past that screen, as after that i think i get a log on password.........

do you need a log on and username for when you use mt4???

cheers.
bottom right hand corner of my screen in mt4 it says "no connection".

when i try to open up a chart for indices uk 100, it jsut says "waiting for update" and is stuck in that state.
is this where the uk ftse data is? (indices uk 100)?

when you open an account, it asks how much you wanna deposit....is this fake pretend money? i might just open a forex account to get past that screen, as after that i think i get a log on password.........

do you need a log on and username for when you use mt4???
Yes, you need user name and password to run MT4. When you install MT4 the first time you will in a window be asked for personal information. After you filled in this information you will automatically get a user name and password and need not to apply it again when you restart MT4. You can also get a demo account, by File in the MT4 menu "Open an Account". All demo accounts are virtual (fake) money.

Yes, you need user name and password to run MT4. When you install MT4 the first time you will in a window be asked for personal information. After you filled in this information you will automatically get a user name and password and need not to apply it again when you restart MT4. You can also get a demo account, by File in the MT4 menu "Open an Account". All demo accounts are virtual (fake) money.

sorry for all the questions.
ok ive done it.......but it does not say demo account on the first screen, when it ask hows muc money you wanna deposit......forex was the only option on type of account....
it seems to be working.....very hard work!

but i cant see any uk companies listed............

right click something in market watch> symbols > uk ftse cds 1 and 2 = theres about 10 companies listed.........double click one and "show"....then it gets listed in market watch window.......actually its the blue ones in the list........

rightt? i got it yeah? about 10 companies for ftse...........

cheers dude.
are these prices going to be like yesterdays close? or are they going to be live??

(youve been more help than ODL themselves)

sorry for all the questions.
ok ive done it.......but it does not say demo account on the first screen, when it ask hows muc money you wanna deposit......forex was the only option on type of account....
it seems to be working.....very hard work!

but i cant see any uk companies listed............

right click something in market watch> symbols > uk ftse cds 1 and 2 = theres about 10 companies listed.........double click one and "show"....then it gets listed in market watch window.......actually its the blue ones in the list........

rightt? i got it yeah? about 10 companies for ftse...........

cheers dude.
are these prices going to be like yesterdays close? or are they going to be live??
Yes, you're on the go. Probably yesterdays close.

Now you have to learn about MT4, EA and scripts, a lot of fun and frustration.:)

Now you have to learn about MT4, EA and scripts, a lot of fun and frustration.:)

haha

:clap::clap:

only ten UK FTSE companies on MT4?
any way to put all the rest of UK companies into it?
the fact it says CFD doesnt really matter does it? cause the share price is the same as if when buying the traditional way, correct? (so anyalysing the stock is the same)

Last edited:
This may seem like a strange question, but can you use MT4 platform to trade EUREX products (Bund, Bobl & Schatz?) & if so, what brokers provide access?

Schatz is the German 2 year note. Bobl as you know is 5 year, Bund is the standard 10 year.
I've been trying to get a good free chart, but so far have had no luck.