Metastock System Testing Newbie Question

Mik

Hi!

I am a beginner trying to set up a simple test with Metastocks 'Enhanced System Tester' (V8.01)

I am trying to configure it that I buy 'at the open' if certain conditions are met (I'm OK with this part), and it should unconditionally 'SELL' at the 'close' on that same day.

My problem is this part. How do I program it to unconditionally 'SELL' at the 'close' (I have tried adding a 'close' in the 'Sell Order' section - this does not work)

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mik

Mik,

Quick check but you aren't relying on the open as part of the condition for deciding to buy are you? Just wanting to make sure the whole strategy isn't flawed. Also are you sure you can get in at the open price on whatever you are trading?

I haven't looked at it in a while but basically what you need is a condition that will always be triggered in the "Sell to Close" box or whatever it was called, something like "C>1". You may have to deal with the time differrence though if that closes you out the next day. Can you fill in the delay section as -1?

wysi

perhaps it wants you to choose an order type - such as market or limit

or it wants you to confirm the size of the order - since selling might be to close a position or to close and reverse

Hi!

Thanks very much for your replies. (and please forgive a beginners ignorance)

At the moment all I am trying to do is confirm that I can program the 'system tester' so I am playing with a 'non-real-world', 'rather silly' system.

Using a daft example:

Buy if 'open' is less than yesterdays high:
So in the 'Buy Order' box I could have for example:
OPEN < (Ref(HIGH,-1)
(I have set the 'order type' as market, and 'expiration' as 'Good For Day' - is this correct?)

I then want to 'Sell' at end of day regardless.
This is the bit I can't get to work?
(I have set the 'order type' as market, and 'expiration' as 'Good For Day' - is this correct?)

Help appreciated.

Mik

Mik,

I'll fire MS up tonight and have a look as I can't think it through without seeing the boxes.

wysi

...Choose Good for the Day and under Strategic Delay choose Day=1 if you use EOD data,....Mins=20 if you use data that is delayed by 20mins..

Also select Simulation periods of 500 default or 300 periods gives erratic reasults....

Regret still not working - looking at the chart, it appears to be selling 2 days later.... not the same day <sigh>
Yes - I am using EOD data.

I must be doing something silly (oh, what ignorance <sigh>), have a wrong setting or two <sigh>

Mik

...hmmmm..interesting...could you PM me all your settings you are using and which security etc you are testing....I will test it on my MS...