Metastock 9

awoodj

Anyone had a look at Metastock 9 yet?

I have 7.2 currently and wondering it it is worth the $229 to upgrade.

Also anyone tried using it Metastock EOD for currencies? Thinking of giving it a try with Databull software for the EOD data.

awoodj - does Databull allow you to download currencies, forex, or does only the payed version not the evaluation version do that. I am not sure about MS 9 but 7.2 is much better than 8

Response

It looks like Databull does stocks and indices ok, i have been testing eval version. So far no currency histories but i have not had a chance to see why, will have a further look at what the problem might be.

You say 7.2 is better than 8.0, for what reasons, i assumed the later version would be better?

Sorry I was being vague

But the 8th version has had a lot of bugs in the system tester + the actual design of it is worse. I am not aware of any new indicators that have appeared in the 8th so its basicaly the 7th but only worse and more expensive.

Checkout this link, ms 8 discusses: http://www.trade2win.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?s=&postid=84191#post84191

Vsn 8 system tester has both logic and software bugs, as I found to my considerable cost and frustration. Some months ago, after weeks of constant e-mails and phone calls to Equis in the States, I finally got their technical manager to admit as much. I have yards of e-mails to prove it. Not that his admission did any good because they have no intention of issuing “fixes”. So much for customer service. The best you can hope for is that the next release includes the necessary corrections. Their software used to be good, and I used to recommend it, but no longer.

Posted by Orion... he also mentioned a data/spreadsheet and trailing profit bug but check out the link.

What am I talking rubbish for you want to know about Metastock 9. Well they promised to sort out the bugs and probably will include some more useless indicators :cheesy: Is version 9 out now?

I will post more after I find some more details, cheers, but I bet that someone else will post your answer in the meantime

Version 9

Yes version 9 is out now.

Decided to go for the upgrade, will let you know how i get on. Been trying out Databull for the data, it seems ok for stocks but still can't get any currency histories in. Might be it does not support it or it might be i just have not figured out how to do it yet.

As i already subscribe to UK and US data costing about £25 PM i am looking at Databull as it seems like a good option when generally i only trade the DOW and FT100 indices anyway.

Awoodj I have had the same problem with Databull, I think it could be that it gets it's data from yahoo.finance which yet has not got forex data. Great that you have 9 try and report any things that it has.

P.S your per month sign is making T2W think that it says Private Message, PM, LOL

1$ Meteastock

Yes i saw that and the price looks good LOL but it seems too good to be true. I think some others have tried it and it seems to be ok but i can't see how Metastock will let them do this for ever then what happens to the copies aquired by this method.

No in the end it didn't work but you could try it out for £1 first then if you like it buy the full pro. version.

LMAO poor Equis

Got it on order,
I'm desperate to enjoy the P&F which, according to their site, is going to be world beating. Which will make a nice change from the poor stuff in my copy of 8.01... hang on a minute, now I think of it, MY program has that stuff in already...;)
I DO have it on order though, to make sure my effort stays compatible etc. It just REALLY grips me when people add stuff and tell you they're now world leaders in it - this makes three world leaders in P&F I've seen this year alone. Makes me feel oh so very humble....
Dave

I have heard some good thinhs about ver 9....particularly in System Tester arena...but then Equis always bring out a new release which is soon always followed by patch ver X.01 and so on......

So buy it and play....but continue using your old ver for time being....

Sharkie

What is the upgrade cost for MS 9 for both EOD and Prof versions if purchased via T2W...?

can't see those prices anywhere...

DJB
"this makes three world leaders in P&F I've seen this year alone. "

LOL

When I bought MS 8.01 a couple of weeks ago they said they would upgrade me as soon as they had it. I was talking to Paritech yesterday and they recon I SHOULD get it in a couple of weeks.
Regards
Dave

...oh no...another late night sessions on computer beckons, just when you have sorted ver 8..!!!.....

please save all your charts, templates, layouts as it will be overwritten....just do back up of directory on C drive and call it 'old equis' before installing new version....

Thanks Zambuck
I have nothing serious on my system yet , I am still at the playing around stage as you know.
I am still impressed with MS. Thanks for all your help.
regards
Dave

Got 9 yesterday - got a replacement disk today (the one in the box was a blank !) Zero points to Equis for shipping a blank, labelled CD but 9 squillion to Paritech - I phoned to report the problem yesterday lunchtime and they had a replacement CD delivered in 23 hours.
The P&F toolbox - you can make up a watchlist to find patterns in... only the box size is 1x3 and they specify a price range for the security of 25-100. I've only played a little with it, but they appear to slap a 'one box size fits all' limit on the charts. Haven't found anything about calculating target prices in it, trendlines appear to be something you position yourself...
Err, not my definition of world beating - definitely lets me breathe a sigh of relief vis a vis sales impact!
Dave
Disclaimer: I flog P&F software myself, so have a vested interest in knocking the opposition. However, there's no point doing that because 11,000 other users soon point out if you are lying. My honest opinion is that it's not very good.

MS does many things very well...p & f is just one feature of the charting package...one thing will say is that comments made by users does eventually get there...but it may take 2 or 3 releases before it happens....

So any p & f users comments to equis feedback...!!!

Yeah,
the overall program is extremely impressive - they pack a huge amount of good stuff in... it's just their website was making rather a big deal about this feature and after several hours struggling to get it to install I was pretty disappointed. I can understand myself being under their radar on this, but I'd have expected them to look around a bit first - a quick look at Updata, for example, were I the CEO of Equis, would have seen me heading down to the PR department telling them to tone the release blurb down a bit.
I suppose it's good that they did something about P&F, I'm surprised at what they've produced here though - any chart you like, as long as it's 1x3??
However your point is well made, I'd actually popped back here to add a 'the rest of it is very impressive though' comment anyhow, I focussed on P&F (not surprisingly) but I'm otherwise very much an admirer of the program - I find it a bit clunky to use, but there's a heck of a lot in it!
Dave