mentor required

Matt1trader

I am a new trader looking for a successful trader to act as a mentor, I am not a complete beginner as I have been working for Schneider for about 6 months, however they trade bonds which I really don't feel is right for me.

I'm honest and hard working, I will put in the hours required to become successful ideally I'm looking for just one or maybe a small group of traders who will help me take my skills to the next level and maybe provide me a small amount of margin,

kind regards and look forward to your thoughts and comments

Hi Mat and welcome to the site

The majority of traders will tell you what I will say. It sounds like you have the determination and time so the best way to learn is to do it for yourself. Ive been in the game a long time and do not know of any mentor that is worth the money.Whatever they teach you they will not be able to control your emotions once you enter a trade. There is no magical set up or method if there was Im sure Id have found it by now. Go on the free seminars and webinars but please dont part with money needlessly. There are lots of threads and ideas on this site and others where you can get ideas from about what type of trader you want to be. Screen time and discipline in abundance are needed. By all means look at my live call and chat thread where there are several traders on there with different methods. My methods and trades can be seen clearer if you look at the start of the thread. There are also many threads about the various mentors around. This is definitely an industry where you dont get what you pay for and often a lot less.
Good Luck
Good Luck

IMO - whatever you do, whether you follow a mentor or not - the thing that will kill you is trying something a few times, deciding it doesn't work and then moving onto something new.

You can spend years doing this.

Trading is a skill, so whatever you try, you will be cr@p at it initially. Doesn't mean what you try doesn't work.

Good luck.

What is it that you are looking to a mentor to provide?

Are you looking for a system or method? As has been said already, trading is a skill. It requires learning and time, effort and experience to develop. You already seem aware of the necessity of finding something that fits you (since you state that you don't wish to trade bonds because they don't feel right). So a mentor teaching you a method might be of little use, since you might well find that someone else's approach is not something you can employ in practice.

You are likely to be better of absorbing some basic trading principles and developing your own approach from there.

If you want a mentor more for support and so on, that might be of more use. However, if you are honest with yourself you will quickly learn to identify your mistakes and the causes of them.

A good book to read for this is Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. It is a cliché, but it should resonate with most people who attempt trading.

Whatever you do, do not pay for a mentor. Good ones are very unlikely to be doing it for commercial gain, because if they are that good they will not need to, and would make more money trading than they would from teaching others to trade. You might be lucky enough to find a successful trader willing to help you, but that will be hard, and it is not a bad idea to get into the (very necessary) habit of self-reliance right from the start.

hi guys

I would firstly like to thank you all for taking the time to post in reply to my message and second for the people who messages me privately

lord your video was an inspiration :)

I certainly don't want to pay for a mentor and up to now I am apart from my experience on the prop floor self taught I worked hard to build funds to get me through the first 6 months on the trading floor it took 2 years to get these together and although my trading account is in profit with marex taking over they have been slow to add to my position. I work 30 hours a week outside my trading as well just to keep going

I guess I'm looking for someone to prop me and allow me to trade what I really want to as well as offering advice and support

to the leopard that was a great book recommendation I have read that along with hundreds of others I don't believe I'm a beginner to this I have my own plan and if I have to I will go back to my day job and spend the next 3 years saving enough to afford a modest account with direct market access and fulfill my destiny that way, as even though I know I can do this and succeed I can afford an account size that will sustain a few short term loses and would agree with the sentiment in the book high probability trading that you shouldn't trade if you don't have enough capital behind you

thank you once again for your posts I took a lot from them

I was going to offer you mentoring for 7k. Since you don't want to pay, you are on your own.

thank you for that input joe but I do fully agree with the leopard I'm looking for someone who would see this as more then just for commercial gain and would take a cut of my profits as to be compensated

or indeed I would be happy to use some of my non trading skills to compensate interested persons

This would prove to me that they had confidence in their ability to help me achieve my ambitions and that they had achieved much through their own trading that they now want to give something back.

At work it's all about scalping and arbs between contracts as we have to be flat at the end of the day, I think my preferred style is to swing trade though picking good entries with a good risk to reward ratio and giving the trade time to not only work out but to grow if it's heading in the right direction is far more pleasing.

The constant number churning in the stirs really doesn't agree with me

I am a new trader looking for a successful trader to act as a mentor, I am not a complete beginner as I have been working for Schneider for about 6 months, however they trade bonds which I really don't feel is right for me.

I'm honest and hard working, I will put in the hours required to become successful ideally I'm looking for just one or maybe a small group of traders who will help me take my skills to the next level and maybe provide me a small amount of margin,

kind regards and look forward to your thoughts and comments

Looking at this again, it seems you have the opportunity you seek already.

What's wrong with trading Bonds where you are now? What makes you think the next thing will feel 'right'?

Seems like you are honest and hard working but ready to throw in the towel on bonds after 6 months.

You should be a bit more specific about what you want. Or is it just "Not Bonds"?

At work it's all about scalping and arbs between contracts as we have to be flat at the end of the day, I think my preferred style is to swing trade though picking good entries with a good risk to reward ratio and giving the trade time to not only work out but to grow if it's heading in the right direction is far more pleasing.

The constant number churning in the stirs really doesn't agree with me

Matt, if you're honest with yourself, is it because you're down so much in your account, that you can't see a way out of it? You've got a great opportunity where you are, and you'll likely only realise this after/if you leave.

Also, there'll be plenty of people at Marex who would have the right credentials to be a mentor for you. It's up to you to go and offer them value!

I think my preferred style is to swing trade though picking good entries with a good risk to reward ratio and giving the trade time to not only work out but to grow if it's heading in the right direction is far more pleasing

If you know what you want to do why are you looking for a mentor? I think you're just being a bit of a sh1tbag like myself and are looking for a crutch :) Get to work on your own thing in your spare time.

You have an opportunity to learn a niche skill set in one of the best possible environments. Yes, the rewards might not be coming as quickly as you like but this is the world we live in and very few individuals are that exceptional/lucky. The rest of us mortal have to slog it out.

Be honest with yourself... if, over the next six moths, your bond trading took off, your size was upped and this resulted in you netting a monkey a day would it still not be for you? Careful of chasing rainbows is all.

Good luck

again I thank you all for your time

benj that is not the reason my account is up and yes I guess you are right that there are people here that have already been great for me and I have been greatful for their input

toast defiantly not throwing the towel in walking this road has taken me a lot longer then 6 months to achieve and the risks and sacrifices i undertook I know I shall never give in.

I had to save enough money to get this far and still be able to support my kids I moved away from everything I knew. So no I now want to evolve as a trader even if that means saving my **** off to fund my own account

I guess I'm just not made to keep doing the repetitive calculations time after time just to gain a point it leaves me feeling mentally exhausted.

scouse yeah maybe a crutch is right and perhaps I should just save my way to my own account i have learned a valuable skill and it's a great environment true. money wise yeah I'm not making a huge amount true but I'm making more than I expected to be at this point I am a realist and knew this would not be easy. It's not about calling myself a trader for ego either.

Scose :

6965_i1_80s-shell-suit-scouser-jimmy-s.jpg

It would be better to go into algos or robots for that kinda thing......I am a seasoned swing trader......Just started off my money manager career and starting to attain a small client base...you can check my website if you like Forex Managed Accounts | Iceberg Investments Forex Trading

Seems you are located in the Carribeans: I am looking to retire there. Are you hiring and training new traders by any chance?

again I thank you all for your time

benj that is not the reason my account is up and yes I guess you are right that there are people here that have already been great for me and I have been greatful for their input

toast defiantly not throwing the towel in walking this road has taken me a lot longer then 6 months to achieve and the risks and sacrifices i undertook I know I shall never give in.

I had to save enough money to get this far and still be able to support my kids I moved away from everything I knew. So no I now want to evolve as a trader even if that means saving my **** off to fund my own account

I guess I'm just not made to keep doing the repetitive calculations time after time just to gain a point it leaves me feeling mentally exhausted.

scouse yeah maybe a crutch is right and perhaps I should just save my way to my own account i have learned a valuable skill and it's a great environment true. money wise yeah I'm not making a huge amount true but I'm making more than I expected to be at this point I am a realist and knew this would not be easy. It's not about calling myself a trader for ego either.

Hi Matt,

Have you found a mentor yet?