Member grades

Steve

There's been much discussion at various points about the relevance of the member gradings (Rookie, Legendary etc) so I have decided to get rid of them.

If any of you are especially attached to your grade then now's the time to say so.

Let me know.

Are you replacing them with anything else, or simply junking the current gradings?

I agree that they served no real value, as they were based on number of posts rather than on value or insight. (which are subjective anyway)

Are you replacing them with anything else, or simply junking the current gradings?

I agree that they served no real value, as they were based on number of posts rather than on value or insight. (which are subjective anyway)

No immediate plans to replace them - unless I can think of something that works and actually means something - which I can't!

There's been much discussion at various points about the relevance of the member gradings (Rookie, Legendary etc) so I have decided to get rid of them.

If any of you are especially attached to your grade then now's the time to say so.

Let me know.

I doubt it bothers many people, certainly not me.

Let me know.

Are the "Banned" and "Guest" grading going away too?

I don't care about the member ratings either.

Peter

I'm not sure it is a good thing
without knowing the experience of the person behind the posts, its very difficult to know whether its worth the effort in even reading any further

just a quote from one thread going on now..
it's hard for brain to adapt to bigger picture, which is Forex and get used to idea that sometimes letting go "prey" now, is in reality to have more stability and "provision for the tribe" later..

now on first viewing your initial reaction would be what the ****? and then you could easily move on safe in the knowledge that you are not missing anything knowing this person has but a handful of posts to his name.

without a frame of reference, all gibberish has to be taken equally

I think you're right to get rid of the grades, but perhaps 'banned' should remain as some sort of record of wrong-doing.

I'm not sure it is a good thing
without knowing the experience of the person behind the posts, its very difficult to know whether its worth the effort in even reading any further. . .
Hi malaguti,
The point you make is the primary reason for doing it, as 'Legendary Member' status doesn't, unfortunately, reflect the trading knowledge or experience of the member concerned. It's based purely on post count. Given that members can see how long another member has been registered on the site - as well as the number of posts they've made - the various status labels don't really add anything useful. They hark back to a more innocent age when (virtually) all members were up front and honest and had everyone else's best interests at heart. Sadly, those times are long gone.

Having said the above, if there's a simple and effective way of introducing some sort of reputation system that does reflect a member's trading knowledge and experience - then that's something that's well worth having as it would add value and be useful to all members - especially newer members who are still green about the gills. As you may be aware, this has been discussed at length in the past and, thus far, a workable solution that can't easily be abused has yet to be found.
Tim.

Hi malaguti,
The point you make is the primary reason for doing it, as 'Legendary Member' status doesn't, unfortunately, reflect the trading knowledge or experience of the member concerned. It's based purely on post count. Given that members can see how long another member has been registered on the site - as well as the number of posts they've made - the various status labels don't really add anything useful. They hark back to a more innocent age when (virtually) all members were up front and honest and had everyone else's best interests at heart. Sadly, those times are long gone.

Having said the above, if there's a simple and effective way of introducing some sort of reputation system that does reflect a member's trading knowledge and experience - then that's something that's well worth having as it would add value and be useful to all members - especially newer members who are still green about the gills. As you may be aware, this has been discussed at length in the past and, thus far, a workable solution that can't easily be abused has yet to be found.
Tim.
I understand Tim, I guess there is still the relative age of when the person joined and that is still a benchmark.
Lets hope we find that elusive solution

Agree - serves no real purpose other than post count. Good to remove.

The objective for me was to comment on whether one agreed and endorsed a post. For this purpose why not have a thumbs up or thumbs down with a number count when clicked - as to whether reader likes/agrees with post or not? :idea:

A bit like on youtube etc.