Matrox G200

quad graphics card, Desktop PC Components, Desktop PCs items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Why not, it should do the bus. Look on ebay, see the search above. you can pick 32mb-64mb quad support dual head cards for about £30.

All these types of PCI graphics cards tend to come with 2 x dual VGA monitor cables to support up to 4 monitors.

Got me sen a nice quad card. Aye?! ;)

Decided it woh time to start mekkin life easier fo mi sen, innit!

So also getting mi sen a custom indicator that saves me all' donkey work.

Also bought mi sen a new office desk, wi holes int' back for cables & wires to be put through. Table wide enough to sit 4 monitors on, though for nar, am only usin 3!
Surplus bankrupt office ekwipment innit! Plenty oh that stuff abart right now. Tis a buyers market you know. They wanted 50 smackers for the desk. I offered £35, and it was a done deal :smart:

MATROX MILLENIUM G200 QUAD 32MB PCI VGA VIDEO CARD - Good card for a 3-monitor setup?

Very old card - slow and limited memory. WIll not handle screens larger than 1280x1024.

Nvidia NVS 280, 285 (2 screens) or NVS400 (4 screens) are better cards and cheap on eBay. If you have a motherboad with one PCI-E slot, then get a 285 (PCI-E) and a 280 (PCI). If you have 2 PCI-E slots, get two NVS 285s.

Very old card - slow and limited memory. WIll not handle screens larger than 1280x1024.

Nvidia NVS 280, 285 (2 screens) or NVS400 (4 screens) are better cards and cheap on eBay. If you have a motherboad with one PCI-E slot, then get a 285 (PCI-E) and a 280 (PCI). If you have 2 PCI-E slots, get two NVS 285s.

LOW PROFILE:QUADRO NVS285 128MB PCI-E(HP PN 430965-001) on eBay, also Graphics Video Cards, Graphics, Video TV Cards, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 25-Nov-08 20:19:58 GMT)

This ones nice. Wish i'd seen it earlier.

All the NVS280/285 cards are low profile, but there are two different metal brackets to fit on the end of the cards. For standard PC cases you need the standard height bracket (unless you want to do some panel beating). Need to check this if you are buying off eBay. The ones I bought came with both brackets, but some may not - especially used cards.

dcraig1,

Do you know if there is a 64-bit driver for the Nivdia Quadro NVS 400? If not what equivalent card would you recommend for a 64-bit machine?

Kind regards

TMM

dcraig1,

Do you know if there is a 64-bit driver for the Nivdia Quadro NVS 400? If not what equivalent card would you recommend for a 64-bit machine?

Kind regards

TMM

There certainly is for 64bit Linux - I'm running 2 x NVS285 on the 64 bit Ubuntu machine I'm typing this on. (NVS 400 is same driver - the so called unified driver). Expect there *should* be for Windows. Just go to the Nvidia web site download section and have a look.

The support forum on the Nvidia web site is very active and Nvidia staff participate and help - best place to ask NV questions.

There certainly is for 64bit Linux - I'm running 2 x NVS285 on the 64 bit Ubuntu machine I'm typing this on. (NVS 400 is same driver - the so called unified driver). Expect there *should* be for Windows. Just go to the Nvidia web site download section and have a look.

The support forum on the Nvidia web site is very active and Nvidia staff participate and help - best place to ask NV questions.

Do you use the Nividia software or Ubuntu to manage the monitor setup?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Do you use the Nividia software or Ubuntu to manage the monitor setup?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Currently I have three screens. I'm not using Nvidia Twinview. Just standard X11 Xinerama for the multihead setup. I'm using the Nvidia closed source driver because the open source drivers are not really up to the job (because NV doesn't release proper hardware specs).

As for screen layout, I just edit the xorg.conf file by hand. That is not a trivial task for newbs. I believe there is some easier support for multihead in the latest X11 release which I havn't tried yet.

Going to buy another 2 screens soon. Anyone use this:

Maplin> SCREEN SPLITTER

This will just provide the same image on multiple screens. You need separate video outputs for each screen, and for that you need a proper multihead card eg Nvidia NVS 280, 285 or 290 dual head cards or NVS400, 440 quad heads.

You can get the dual head cards cheap on eBay.

So this won't just spread the same one across multiple. Damn. I wonder what the splitter is used for.

So this isn't like matrox's external graphics card splitter? (I'll look into the nvidia again thanks).