Masonic

Ok, no replies yet, so I'm chiming in, even though I'm not a mason, but it always holds an interest. Can you tell us some benefits? Is it as weird as it is made out to be? Do you get free beer?

thanks Shak.
nope, no free beer. Actually, it's quite an expensive endeavour, there's nothing "free" about freemasonry.
And if you let it, it can become quite time consuming.
I'm in three Lodges, two in Bangkok and one in Pattaya.
With General Committee meetings, Committees of Enquiry for prospective new members, Practice sessions etc, it adds up to quite a few nights each month !

Nothing weird about it.

Freemasonry is a system of Morality, veiled in Allegory and illustrated through Symbols.

It's aim is to make good men better.
it strives to achieve this through lessons, discussions, rituals focusing on the 3 masonic virtues of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.
It emphasises Truth, Honour and Virtue, and many of the lessons centre upon the 4 cardinal Virtues - Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude and above all Justice

in short, being a freemason leads one to examine and improve one's life towards work, loved ones, other freemasons, and mankind in general.

it's even changed me from shooting down every newbie idiot on T2W to actually trying to help one or two :)

In 1952, 89% of the U.S. Supreme Court Justices were Freemasons

"No man ever took the oaths and subscribed to the obligations with greater watchfulness and care than I exercised in receiving the various rites of Masonry, and I say with due deliberation and without fear of breaking the faith. I have never encountered a lesson, never witnessed an example, never heard an obligation uttered which could not be openly proclaimed to the world." The words of a Mason who was also a President of the United States, Warren G. Harding.

Of the early American Astronauts, John Glenn, L. Gordon Cooper, Virgil I. (Gus) Grissom, Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., Thomas P. Stafford, and Donn F. Eisele were all Masons

Brother "Buzz" Aldrin, a member of Clear Lake Lodge #1417 in Texas, when he stepped onto the surface of the moon, carried a special deputation from his Grand Master to claim the moon as being in the territorial jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas. And so it is.

When asked how he came to be a Mason, President McKinley explained:
"After the battle of Opequam, I went with the surgeon of our Ohio regiment to the field where there were about 5,000 Confederate prisoners under guard. Almost as soon as we passed the guard, I noticed the doctor shook hands with a number of Confederate prisoners. He also took from his pocket a roll of bills and distributed all he had among them. Boy-like, I looked on in wonderment; I didn't know what it all meant. On the way back to camp I asked him:

'Did you know these men or ever see them before?'
'No,' replied the doctor, 'I never saw them before.'
'But,' I persisted, 'You gave them a lot of money, all you had about you. Do you ever expect to get it back?'
'Well,' said the doctor, 'if they are able to pay me back, they will. But it makes no difference to me; they are brother Masons in trouble and I am only doing my duty.'
"I said to myself, 'If that is Masonry, I will take some of it myself.' "

Of the 254 counties in Texas, 102 are named for Freemasons. Among them are Stephen F. Austin, Robert Emmett, Bledsoe Baylor, James Bowie, David Crockett, George M. Dallas, Rev. John B. Denton, Jack Hayes, Sam Houston, Anson Jones, Mirabeau B. Lamar, James Madison, Pat Neff, James K. Polk, Sam Ross, Adolphus Sterne, Edward H. Tarrant, William B. Travis, and George Washington.

In July 1863, Confederate raiders rode into Versailles, IN, capturing the local militia and stealing the county treasury. The next day, General John Morgan (CSA), learned that his men had also made off with the jewels of the local lodge. They were returned the following day. Morgan was from Daviess Lodge #22, Lexington, KY.

Dr. Edward Jenner, in 1789 discovered the vaccination process against smallpox. He was Worshipful Master of Faith and Friendship Lodge #270 in Berkeley, England at the time.

The British Field Marshal, Earl Douglas Haig, was a Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

King George VI was not only the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England, but was also of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Benjamin Franklin was 'Raised' in St. John's Lodge in Philadelphia on 24th June 1731; became Master in 1732; Grand Master in 1734 and Provincial Grand Master of the Moderns in 1749. His printing press on which he printed and published in 1734 the first Masonic books in American [that of Anderson's Constitutions] is now in the Smithsonian Institute.

In 1777, when visiting in Paris, Benjamin Franklin was made a member of Loge des Neuf Sovers. He died April 17th, 1790 at the age of 85 years and had lived as a Freemason for sixty years.

Paul Revere was 'Raised' at St. Andrew's Lodge in Boston in January, 1761, served several years as the Worshipful Master, and held the office of Grand Master of Massachusetts from 1794 to 1797.

George Washington was Master of his lodge in Alexandria when he was inaugurated as President of the United States in 1789. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was also a Mason from New York.

Bro. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was raised to the sublime degree in the Lodge 'Zur Gekronten Hoffnung' [Crowned Hope] in 1785

Charles Stratton, a.k.a. Tom Thumb, was 24 inches high and weighed 16 pounds when raised in 1862.

On his famous solo flight across the Atlantic, Charles Lindbergh wore a square and compasses on his jacket as a good luck piece. He was a mason.

Lyndon Johnson took the first degree of October 30, 1937 but never progressed any further.

President Ford was a Mason. He received his York Rite Degrees IN the Oval Office.

In 1951, while President, Harry Truman served as Master of his lodge.

President FDR raised two of his sons on the same night, Nov 7, 1935 - Architect Lodge #519 in NY.

Every President from Tenn. was a Mason (Jackson, Johnson, Polk)

Between 1890 (when it became a state) and 1951, every governor of Wyoming, except one, was a Mason. The one, Mrs. William A. Ross, was the wife of a mason and a member of Eastern Star.

President: Andrew Jackson (1829-1837), Jackson was a member of Harmony Lodge No. 1, Nashville, Tennessee, an Honorary Member of Federal Lodge No. 1 F & A M in Washington, D.C. and Jackson Lodge No. 1, F & AM, Tallahassee, Florida. In 1822 and 1823, he served as Grand Master of Masons in Tennessee.

In 1869, 4 years after the end of the Civil War, President Andrew Johnson, the 17th President of the United States, (1865-1869) signed a congressional act chartering the Masonic Mutual Relief Association of the District of Columbia. This association was created to provide death benefits to the widows and orphans of Freemasons. (Andrew Johnson was made a Mason in May, 1851 in Greeneville Lodge No. 119, (now No. 3), F. & A.M., Greeneville, Tennessee.)
MW Harry S Truman, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri was a Mason for 63 years and received his fifty year Masonic veteran’semblem in 1959. About the ceremony he said, “I don’t think I’ve had anything touch me as that did.”

Lieutenant Marcellus Jones, of the 8th Illinois Cavalry, fired the first shot at the Battle of Gettysburg. Jones was a Mason, as was Christian Sharps, the inventor of the breech-loading carbine, bearing his name that Jones was using. Approximately 300 Generals, from both Union and Confederate brigades, were Masons who served during the War.

Col.Paul Revere was initiated in St. Andrew’s Lodge, Boston, Mass., Sept. 4, 1760, and was Grand Master from December 12, 1794 to December 27, 1797. In a letter to the secretary of the Masachusets Historical Society relating to the events of April,1755, he wrote: ‘We held our meetings at the Green Dragon tavern. We were so careful that our meetings should be kept secret that every time we met, every person swore upon the Bible, that they would not divulge any of our transactions, but to Mesr.Hancock, Adams, Doctors Waren, Church,and one or two more.

Leroy Gordon Cooper, Jr., famous astronaut, on his 22 orbit flight carried a Masonic coin in his pocket as well as a blue Masonic flag which he later presented to his mother lodge, Carbondale No. 82, Carbondale, Colorado.

The inventors of the first balloon were Joseph Montgolfier, Michel Montgolfier, and Jacques Etielle; all were members of the Nine Sisters Lodge in France.

Brother Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I air ace, was a devoted Mason for many years.

Dr. Charles H. Mayo, one of the founders of the famous Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, was a Mason. His son Charles W., who also was a Mason, became governor of the Clinic, which began in the Masonic Temple building in Rochester. The Grand Lodge on Minnesota for years has maintained a representative at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester to assist Masons planning to come there and to make their stay pleasant.

Rudyard Kipling, the famous English author, was born in India of English parents. He was educated in England but returned to India in 1880. He was initiated in Hope and Perseverance Lodge No. 782, Lahore, Punjab, India in 1886. A special dispensation was necessary as he was only twenty years and six months at the time. When he took the degrees, there were four Holy Books upon the alter representing the dominant religions in the area. Upon his rising he was immediately elected secretary; and he prepared the minutes of that meeting himself. Many years later he wrote: "I was secretary for some years of Hope and Perseverance Lodge No. 782, E. C., Lahore, which included Brethren of at least four creeds. I was entered by a member of Brahmo Somaj, a Hindu; passed by a Mohammedan; and raised by an Englishman. Our Tyler was an Indian Jew. We met, of course on the level, and the only difference anyone would notice was that at the banquets, some of the Brethren, who were debarred by caste from eating food not ceremonially prepared, sat over empty plates."

Ely S. Parker, a full-blooded Indian chief, was the grandson of Red Jacket, a close friend of George Washington. He was a Union Brigadier General in the Civil War, and served as General Grant's secretary. He was raised in Batavia Lodge No. 88, Batavia, New York, and later affiliated with Valley Lodge No. 109. He demitted and became a founder and first Worshipful Master of Akron Lodge No. 527 of New York. Ely Parker Lodge No. 1002 of Buffalo, New York. is named after him.

George Washington was sworn in as the first President of the United States by Robert Livingston, Grand Master of New York’s Masonic Lodge. The Bible on which he took his oath was from his own Masonic lodge.

Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA has many, many Masonic connections. It stands on land purchased by Wm. Alllen, Grand Master of PA. The ground was staked by Edmond Wolley, a Mason. Thomas Boude, the brick mason, was the first Secretary of St. John's Lodge of Philadelphia and later Deputy Grand Master. Benjamin Franklin laid the cornerstone while Grand Master (1734) with the assistance of St. John's Lodge. Brother Andrew McNair of Philadelphia rang the bell to call the populace on July 8, 1776, to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence. The Liberty Bell cracked in 1835 when it tolled the death of Chief Justice John Marshall, Past Grand Master of Virginia.

Jean Sibelius (1865-1957) the great composer of 'Finlandia' and other immortal musical works, composed the ritualistic music used by the Grand Lodge of New York and presented it to them in appreciation for the part played by Grand Lodge in establishing Masonry in Finland. He was a member of Suomi Lodge #1, Helsingfors.

"Oscar of the Waldorf", internationally famous chef was born in Switzerland Oscar Tschirky and was a member of Metropolitan Lodge #273, New York City.

The author of "Bambi" and other immortal stories for children was Brother Felix Salten (1869-1945), a member of the Lodge "Zur Warheit" in Vienna, Austria.

The United States' Anti-Masonic Party (1827-abt.1834) had as it's first Presidential Candidate a MASON! In 1831, the Anti-Masonic Party nominated William Wirt as their candidate for the presidency at their first national convention which was held in Baltimore, Maryland. Wirt was not only a Freemason, but even defended the Order in a speech before the convention that nominated him.

"The first group of the Resistance {during World War II} was founded by five Masons. This body, "Resistance," soon merged with "Liberation." The organization thus formed succeeded in contacting London after ascertaining that there were Masons in the London broadcasting station, the broadcasts of which began with the motto "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity." Brother Roig succeeded in contacting London through Englishmen who escaped. This liaison was effected as the result of the visit of a Canadian aviator. Unfortunately, Brother Roig was arrested, imprisoned at Fresnes, and shot ten weeks later. However, the work was well under way. New Brethren joined the movement and the organization took the name of C.A.M. (Masonic Action Committee. This committee worked air both a patriotic and a Masonic organization. The patriotic section chose for its name "Patriam recuperare" and had a paper, The New Republic. Valuable information on the location of troops and the sites of the ramps from which the V-1 bombs were launched, as well as the memoirs of Paul Reynaud, were sent to London. One Brother succeeded in joining General De Gaulle at Algiers. Information was furnished concerning the German counter-espionage. Work was done towards the organization of a secret army in Paris. Shelter was given to numerous escapees and parachutists." - From the May, 1946 Philalethes Society Magazine

Major General Benjamin Lincoln of Revolutionary War fame, who received the sword of Cornwallis in the surrender of Yorktown, was initiated on Christmas Day, 1780, in St. Andrew’s Lodge, Boston, Massachusetts

Mark Twain was a Freemason. He belonged to Polar Star Lodge No. 79 A.F. & A.M., based in St. Louis. He was initiated an Entered Apprentice on May 22, 1861, passed to the degree of Fellow Craft on June 12, and raised to the degree of Master Mason on July 10.

The first assembly of the Continental Congress was presided over by a Master Mason, Peyton Randolph, Provincial Grand Master of Virginia.

The Revolutionary War was a distinctly Masonic enterprise.

The Boston Tea Party was organized in St. Andrews Lodge, at an adjourned meeting, and that every "Indian" who threw the tea into the harbor was a member of that Lodge.

Paul Revere, made his immortal ride, when he was the Junior Warden of that Lodge.

More than fifty of the fifty-six signers of the Declaration of Independence were members of the Masonic fraternity.

All but one of the five members of the Constitutional Convention were Masons.

Richard Henry Lee, who moved the Resolution of Independence in the Continental Congress, was a Mason.

Lee, and all five members of that committee -- Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman and Robert R. Livingston -- were Masons.

The Governors of every one of the original thirteen states at the time Washington was inaugurated were Masons.

Washington demanded that Lafayette coming from France, and Von Stuben coming from Germany, be made Masons.

All of Washington's Brigadier Generals except one were Masons.

The Constitution of the United States was written by Masons.

Free Speech, Free Religion, and Free Schools were the gifts of Masonry America, and these were opposed by all anti-Masonic institutions.

The four Major Generals who almost ruined Washington and the cause of Freedom were the four who were not Masons.

John Hancock was a member of St. Andrew's Lodge, Boston, Massachusetts. He was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence. He wrote in a bold flourishing style. When asked why his signature was so large, he replied: "So that George III may read it without putting on his spectacles."

In terms of personal development, improving your work and relations etc, some beliefs and some rites, couldn't it then be classed as a religion? Why is it not? For example Scientology has a list of beliefs and practices, people will say it has improved them as people and is about character development, and they pay for the privilege.

Is there a book that is a source of all the teachings and rites?

Have you received any advantages other than those you made on yourself?

no, it's not a specific religion.
in Thailand we have members who are Protestant, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, even Catholics.

and we all get along swimmingly :)

In neighbouring Malaysia, they have as above, plus many Muslims too

What is the jew to christian ratio?

globally ?
no idea

in thailand ? about 1:200, although i can only think of 2 jewish guys in the Craft here
(mind you, they're just about the only 2 Jews in Thailand that I know full stop)

Why, why is it important ?

How'd you get in? Is there some initiation like the skull and bones thing in that Matt Damon movie?

actually he only got one black ball, which isn't an automatic disqualification,

and rather, reflects badly on whichever Brother had not had sufficient courage to raise his objections during the many months of committees and enquiries beforehand.

But then I guess that wouldn't have been comedy :)