By Toby Sterling, Dow Jones Newswires;
31-20-626-0770;
[email protected]

09:56 Apr 17 2001

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just adding that moni was one of the most active cfds yesterday:

Yesterday's most active CFDs

Logica, Marconi, Vodafone, ARM Holdings, COLT Telecom, CMG, Invensys, Energis, C&W, WPP

Riz

And from ukinvest:

Electrical and telecoms equipment company Marconi (MONI - news) was up 15p at 358.5p after falling 6% yesterday. Today's move was seen as a technical bounce after a long period of weakness.

Riz

I hope it was just a technical bounce Riz, i sold today hoping for another go next week. I sold ARM earlier in the week at 327... what a clot... so MONI will probably do the same.

Steve

Always makes me smile when I hear or see those words,' just a technical bounce'.
What does it mean?
Seems like a 'get out' phrase, used by financial journalist
when they haven't got a clue why the share price has moved!

From Observer:

Marconi to signal more gloom ahead

Sunday March 25, 2001
The Observer

Marconi, the telecoms equipment supplier, is expected to add to the gloom surrounding its sector when it issues a trading statement within the next week, writes Heather Connon.
It is expected to echo the warnings of rivals including Alcatel, Siemens and Nokia, who have all said demand for telecoms equipment is falling. That is likely to send analysts rushing to downgrade their forecasts.

Expectations for the current year have already fallen sharply - CSFB, one of Marconi's house brokers, recently dropped its forecast by £90 million to £792m profit - but analysts are still forecasting growth of more than 20 per cent in each of the next two years. These expectations are likely to be sharply reduced.

Marconi's strength is in the European telecoms market, which has so far proved more resilient than that in the US. But Adrian Murray, electronics analyst with Teather & Greenwood, warns that Europe is likely to be hit as American companies such as Nortel and Lucent, which are suffering in their home market, try to muscle in here, cutting prices and squeezing margins. He pointed to the recent announcement that Marconi had been nominated sole supplier to BT, instead of sharing it with Nortel as previously. 'They did not get that because they are great buddies. It is because the price was cut.'

Marconi's shares were among the best performing in the stock market in 1999 but have collapsed in the last year, falling from a peak of 1,276p to just 371p on Friday.

Riz

Just shows you how wrong they can be, they should have published an apology!