Looking for daytrade stock broker

Apersoons

11 1
Hello everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed over and over here, I learnt a lot from reading the existing topics on this subject, but I haven't been able to successfully filter out all the information for my specific situation.

This is my situation:

I've been working on my strategy, and fine tuning it for about a year.
In this time, I have traded on virtual stock exchanges, and participated in several virtual games, most which I've won.
I only day trade in US stocks, although I sometimes keep positions for a few days, if I have to. Almost all of my transactions are in short selling.

On average, I make 10-15 transactions a day, and I want to start trading with about 7000EUR of my own money. For now, my average daily returns are about 4%, my target is to achieve an average daily gain around the 2% mark, If I start trading on a half-time basis.

Considering all this, what would be a good broker for a non-US citizen nor resident alien, to day trade on the US stock markets.

I've been looking at OptionsXpress, but I find their transactions costs a little high for my purpose. Interactive Brokers seem to offer good rates, but I'd like to hear a little more from people who have real world experience with these or other brokers, before I take the plunge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Kind regards,
Axel

timsk

Legendary member
7,604 2,377
On average, I make 10-15 transactions a day, and I want to start trading with about 7000EUR of my own money.
Hi Axel,
Welcome to T2W.

To day trade U.S. equities with a direct market access broker like IB you'll need a minimum of U.S. $25,000. That's a legal requirement: SEC Ruling. So, you'll either have to increase your opening balance considerably, or bypass the ruling by trading derivatives. Options is one possibility, but I'd look at CFDs if I were in your shoes. Lots of CFD providers listed here: Broker Reviews
Tim.

Apersoons

11 1
Thanks for the quick answer, Tim.

I wasn't aware of that limitation, it's very helpful finding these things out in time.

Considering the time I put into developing my strategy, I'm not sure I'd want to change it because of the minimum set by the SEC.

I think I would also be prepared to put down $25k if this is required.
Bout could there be another way around this, by using a UK broker that deals on US markets, for example?

In either case, my question remains the same: what would be a good broker for daytrading US stock as a EU citizen,

Kind regards,
Axel

Last edited:

timsk

Legendary member
7,604 2,377
In which case, my question remains the same: what would be a good broker for daytrading US stock as a EU citizen.
Hi Axel,
This is a question that's often asked, but it's a tricky one to answer because brokers come and go and those that have been around a long time are forever making changes to their product / service in a bid to remain competitive. Also, your requirements will be different to mine (or whoever), so a broker that suits me might not be good for you. Besides which, all that any member can do is to say 'I'm with XYZ and I love/hate them'. Either way, that's not a lot of help to you!

So, what to do? I suggest you check out the direct access brokers listed in the link in my last post. Also, take a look at this FAQ: Can You Recommend a Data Feed, Charting Software & Broker? and follow the recommendations there.

Let us know how you get on. Oh, and please let me know if there's anything I can do to make the FAQ more useful for future members in your situation.
(y)
Tim.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock