Looking for a quieter office.

round turn

Hi all,

I’ve worked at various prop houses in London over the past 10 years, and know the general rules of the game and how offices are set up.

There are many things I like about working in the arcade environment. The exchange of ideas, having many sets of eyes and ears on the news wires and different markets, sharing a mutual understanding of the job and the tough times we all experience.

Of late though, one thing has really started to grate on me…..

I understand that everyone occasionally gets hurt in the market, and that sometimes people feel they’ve been wronged. And where there’s been an injustice, most people may feel the need to ‘express’ themselves through a shout, a punch, or a kick at anything within range. Which is all good and well. However, there are some who feel it’s necessary to constantly scream and shout about their position, yell about how the market is wrong, and whine about fills.

I believe that trading is really a psychology game, and I find this behaviour totally distracting and frankly childish, and am beginning to resent paying good desk fees to be in an environment that is more of a hindrance than a help.

When I joined my current firm, I thought I’d be spending the rest of my trading days there. But as much as it pains me, here I am asking for any advice on other offices.

So does anyone know of any good, stable, trading groups based in Central London, where the constant screaming is frowned upon? Like I say, there are a lot of positives about trading in arcades; I just want to be able to concentrate without having to listen to another traders screaming all day long.

Thanks for any advice,

Round Turn.

I havn't traded in a prop house but I would probably react the same way as you. A lot of traders blame the 'market' or the broker, people shout and scream partly because they are trying to fit in with the stereo type of a trader.

All of the successful traders I know tend to play a lone hand, not socially but within their trading zone they tend to be very focused. Once a successful mindset has been achieved it can be easily damaged by others who think they know better. They also tend to be understated and require little recognition from others. One trader I know who works for an IB could buy a fleet of bentley's to drive to work but he chooses an old moped.

On a practical point have you tried 'headphones'?

Hi all,

I’ve worked at various prop houses in London over the past 10 years, and know the general rules of the game and how offices are set up.

There are many things I like about working in the arcade environment. The exchange of ideas, having many sets of eyes and ears on the news wires and different markets, sharing a mutual understanding of the job and the tough times we all experience.

Of late though, one thing has really started to grate on me…..

I understand that everyone occasionally gets hurt in the market, and that sometimes people feel they’ve been wronged. And where there’s been an injustice, most people may feel the need to ‘express’ themselves through a shout, a punch, or a kick at anything within range. Which is all good and well. However, there are some who feel it’s necessary to constantly scream and shout about their position, yell about how the market is wrong, and whine about fills.

I believe that trading is really a psychology game, and I find this behaviour totally distracting and frankly childish, and am beginning to resent paying good desk fees to be in an environment that is more of a hindrance than a help.

When I joined my current firm, I thought I’d be spending the rest of my trading days there. But as much as it pains me, here I am asking for any advice on other offices.

So does anyone know of any good, stable, trading groups based in Central London, where the constant screaming is frowned upon? Like I say, there are a lot of positives about trading in arcades; I just want to be able to concentrate without having to listen to another traders screaming all day long.

Thanks for any advice,

Round Turn.

'Headphones' won't help in my mind as ears should be turned to the rest traders for the market news, ideas, trading opportunities etc as described before

'Headphones' won't help in my mind as ears should be turned to the rest traders for the market news, ideas, trading opportunities etc as described before

i take your point but many technical traders avoid news entirely. Also if you have a solid edge in the market the last thing you want to be doing is getting 'ideas' on the fly during your trading session imo.

Yeah it's a tricky one. Having other people looking out for news is helpful (for me), and you can certainly get a feel for sentiment in the markets from the general 'noise' in the office. I've tried headphones but they cut out the useful stuff, and not the screaming. The only other option would be industrial ear-defenders, but that cuts out the useful bits too, and so you may as well be at home.

I just thought (hoped!) there might be an office out there with a more 'professional' attitude to noise levels.

In my experience trading floors are frowning upon noisy traders more and more. When I first started people would pick up keyboards and throw them across the room. To be honest I like noisy floors, I love the energy and from everyones moans or cheers I get an idea of what everyone elses position is... but anyway thats just me. So in answer to your question, I think you are unlucky to have found yourself in one of the few places that still allows shouting. There is one place in London I have heard about that is quite noisy, it might be where you are.

Send me a PM if you like of where you are and i'll see if I can point you in a direction of a few places

A trading floor with everyone quiet and just sharing ideas? You might as well be at home and have 4 different squawks on.

I think you will find it hard to find an arcade suiting your requirements, on the whole they tend to be loud, and macho with a lot of shouting. A prop desk at a fund may suit you better? There it is a lot quieter and everyone is constantly sharing stuff as the profit is pooled together rather than every local in it for himself

They can be distracting sometimes, people calling trades etc good fun but only when your in profit most depressing when not and others are !

Me and three other traders trade out of office on Old street. Its a good enviroment, we have room for one other trader. we are all experienced professional traders, let me know if you are interested

Me and three other traders trade out of office on Old street. Its a good enviroment, we have room for one other trader. we are all experienced professional traders, let me know if you are interested

Is that Old Street, Austin texas? think the commute might be a bit much!!

I'm looking for an office in old street trading US hours if there's still a place available I'd really like to check it out.

(I've PM'd you as well)

I'm looking for an office in old street trading US hours if there's still a place available I'd really like to check it out.

(I've PM'd you as well)

Hi guys

If this is indeed old street London, I may be interested in this in February.

Please do let me know/feel free to pm.

Or else if others here know others that I could check out, please get in touch.

Cheers

Tonster

Ha Ha Ha, I think I know where roundturn is trading!

It's funny that the same people never seem to rejoice when the markets are going their way.

Hi guys,

Perhaps I can help.

There is a new trading arcade and training facility that has just been started up by a couple of profitable traders. It's located in Hanover Square (near Oxford Circus in central London), better than competitive spreads, commissions, trading systems, desk rent etc. Also it's quite a relaxed atmosphere which helps a lot.

Already attracting traders without doing any advertising, they're keen to hear from professionals and amateurs alike.

Jet Traders - 0207 7317 4080