Best Thread Live Trading and General Chat Lounge

Hi Flash,
Instead of pips, do you have %'s ?
1 pip in eurgbp does not equal 1 pip in gbpjpy

sure but its clearer with pips for people watching and learning. The pips only represent a movement and not a true volume. By all means use % as you will still have an entry,exit and stop point. % can also be misleading as i never have my account full up for obvious reasons so i keep putting in and taking out as need be. But yes % should be a strong part of any trading plan. Personally my stakes vary within a bracket but are pretty consistent when I stake. I generally vary my stakes according to the volatility of the pair( for eur/gbp i tend to put on more as movements less,and gbp/aud less as movement more) and not to its value. I guess that ive taken that approach as I mainly spread bet and we tend to forget what the true value is as we cant balance it unless using large stakes.

sure but its clearer with pips for people watching and learning. The pips only represent a movement and not a true volume. By all means use % as you will still have an entry,exit and stop point. % can also be misleading as i never have my account full up for obvious reasons so i keep putting in and taking out as need be. But yes % should be a strong part of any trading plan. Personally my stakes vary within a bracket but are pretty consistent when I stake. I generally vary my stakes according to the volatility of the pair( for eur/gbp i tend to put on more as movements less,and gbp/aud less as movement more) and not to its value. I guess that ive taken that approach as I mainly spread bet and we tend to forget what the true value is as we cant balance it unless using large stakes.

Ok, but pips means nothing to me. You still as a trader risk a certain % of account (no one is suggesting you hold all your money on account) but you know when you work out your risk per pip that it is x% of your 'account'. For example, you work your risk out based on 100,000 £ account but only need 5,000 £ in your account to cover your margin requirement. Your % is based on the 100,000 not the 5,000.

My point is that making 146 pips (as one of your room members did) would be alot more quantifiable if it came with some relative benchmark. Like 146 pips = 10r = 10%.......

146 pips on usd/zar is the spread......

Just my 2pence.

Why don't you post some live calls with explanations? - it would make it easier to understand your point;)

PS After all it's a live calls thread:)

Why don't you post some live calls with explanations? - it would make it easier to understand your point;)

PS After all it's a live calls thread:)

No need to be defensive Zen.
I'm not attacking the thread (which is also titled "general chat", not just "live calls").

I'm just raising the important point about pips and their relativity.

It's a bit like the dukascopy trading competition. The guys there all trade usd/rub, usd/nok and usd/mxn because a small 'win' is 2000 'pips'.

If you guys want to ignore my point, that's fine. Just dont expect others to be able to interpret what you're doing.

buy eur/usd at 1.3028 stop at 1.2998

On this trade I'm risking 1.5% of my account - there is sort of trend, but not much momentum and there are Eurogroup Meetings all day. It's not a very good set up, so I'm ok with 1.5% (the lowest is 1% for the worst set ups)

No need to be defensive Zen.
I'm not attacking the thread (which is also titled "general chat", not just "live calls").

I'm just raising the important point about pips and their relativity.

It's a bit like the dukascopy trading competition. The guys there all trade usd/rub, usd/nok and usd/mxn because a small 'win' is 2000 'pips'.

If you guys want to ignore my point, that's fine. Just dont expect others to be able to interpret what you're doing.

I didn't want to appear like that - only trying to encourage other members to post live calls:)

I like to read about different opinions, but my favourite are live calls with opinions(y)

Ok, but pips means nothing to me. You still as a trader risk a certain % of account (no one is suggesting you hold all your money on account) but you know when you work out your risk per pip that it is x% of your 'account'. For example, you work your risk out based on 100,000 £ account but only need 5,000 £ in your account to cover your margin requirement. Your % is based on the 100,000 not the 5,000.

My point is that making 146 pips (as one of your room members did) would be alot more quantifiable if it came with some relative benchmark. Like 146 pips = 10r = 10%.......

146 pips on usd/zar is the spread......

Just my 2pence.

your right but the main point is its so much easier to quantify in pips. Look at all the sites,they always use pips as a benchmark.At the end of the day,none of us know whos trading what volume etc or even if its a real trade.just easier for the thread and those following. by all means qoute % or both

Also as I said when I work out my trade I look at where my stop is going to be and I can instantly see how many pips it is,wheres as working a % may take longer and delay posting which defeats the object of the thread

ive been guilty of not showing charts as to why lately.Heres my aussie trade chart.Entry was on the pullback to the line and a previous area of resistance. Currently ahead but was 75 pips up,i will be mad if yet again I dont get a follow through

Attachments

• 2012-12-03_1223.png
    2012-12-03_1223.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 96
Hi Flash,
Instead of pips, do you have %'s ?
1 pip in eurgbp does not equal 1 pip in gbpjpy

I prefer pips, I think we're big enough and ugly enough in here to realise that position size will change between fx pairs and everyone will have their own risk profile....it's the actual trade that matters and calling the market...