Live (or almost) stock prices in Excel?

No Quarter

It should be the easiest thing in the world IMO, but in the years I've traded stocks and wanted to follow the value of my stocks, making graphs etc., getting the data into excel has been a pain. For years I used Data Connection function, had to set up each individual stock and it took forever to update. Later I used the MSN Money function where I can get all stock prices updated at once, I think 15 min delayed. And that worked fine (except my GM stock sometimes pulled the price for other stocks with similar initials/names) until mid July. They write.:"We are improving the way that stock quotes are delivered to MSN Money users. Unfortunately, this means we are no longer able to provide financial market information to you in this format.".

Funny how companies get PR people to create their messaging, calling a major annoyance/disruption an improvement. How stupid do they think we are?! Offending.

So...does anybody have a good solution for this? I'd like a sheet that clicking a button/macro in the sheet updates with all the latest stock prices (15 min delay is OK), and it has to be able to pull stock from both US, UK, GE and my country Denmark, e.g. Novo (Novo Nordisk A/S (NOVO-B.CO)).

Funny how companies get PR people to create their messaging, calling a major annoyance/disruption an improvement. How stupid do they think we are?! Offending.

Get used to it. This is the way all companies operate now. Tell the customers how getting screwed is a great improvement over not getting screwed.

Peter

For now I've solved with a not so good solution. More cumbersome. In Google Finance, I have My Portfolio with my stock. All except Norwegian Jinhui that I can't find. There's a download to spreadsheet function that I copy paste from, and some text juggling functions.

So nowhere as good as MSN, hope they get it back.

If you don't mind using a free addin, I would advise you to install Deriscope. Then you will be able to access in Excel live quotes with only one minute time delay for stocks worldwide from the Alpha Vantage live feeds provider.

If you are interested in US stocks, the situation is even better. Deriscope brings into Excel true Real Time prices (one second time delay) on over 8,000 US stocks and ETFs directly from IEX (The Investors Exchange). The exact same service would cost you 500$/month at tiingo.com, which by the way boasts to be one of the cheapest live feed providers!!!

Parenthetically Deriscope also provides historical data on global equities and quarterly company financial data on US equities through Yahoo Finance, Alpha Vantage and IEX.

Here is a url for a video tutorial on getting true Real Time US stock prices from IEX:

The following is a video tutorial on getting live (one minute delay) global stock prices through Alpha Vantage:
The last video includes Yahoo Finance feeds as well because it was published before Yahoo interrupted their live feeds service.

Stock prices into Excel

Don't know if you've already found a solution for the MSN disappearing act, the same thing recently happened with Yahoo, but I stumbled onto this a few days ago:

It should be the easiest thing in the world IMO, but in the years I've traded stocks and wanted to follow the value of my stocks, making graphs etc., getting the data into excel has been a pain. For years I used Data Connection function, had to set up each individual stock and it took forever to update. Later I used the MSN Money function where I can get all stock prices updated at once, I think 15 min delayed. And that worked fine (except my GM stock sometimes pulled the price for other stocks with similar initials/names) until mid July. They write.:"We are improving the way that stock quotes are delivered to MSN Money users. Unfortunately, this means we are no longer able to provide financial market information to you in this format.".

So...does anybody have a good solution for this? I'd like a sheet that clicking a button/macro in the sheet updates with all the latest stock prices (15 min delay is OK), and it has to be able to pull stock from both US, UK, GE and my country Denmark, e.g. Novo (Novo Nordisk A/S (NOVO-B.CO)).

Don't know if you've already found a solution for the MSN disappearing act, the same thing recently happened with Yahoo, but I stumbled onto this a few days ago:

Thanks raplhab, but it doesn't seem to work too well. I made links to 11 tables, and when I refresh them all, some of them move adds columns to the left. Not all of them, and not the same ones every time, so linking the data to the rest of my sheet becomes very difficult. Have you experienced that?

Scratch that, I removed the Data Filter from each box, that seemed to remove the problem, hasn't been there since.

Last edited:
I've built an Excel Add-in which enables streaming and retrieval of live prices from IG Index and Yahoo Finance (I'm working on adding other data providers).

The Add-in currently provides live and streaming prices to Excel cells via simple formulas such as:
Code:
=EPF.Yahoo.Price("AAPL")
=EPF.IG.Stream.Bid("CS.D.GBPUSD.TODAY.IP")
Contact me either via the website or private message and I can send you an Activation Code for a free 20 day trial.

I'm adding historical data access as well as other functionality depending on user feedback.

Become accustomed to it. This is the manner in which all organizations work now. Tell the clients how getting screwed is an extraordinary improvement over not getting screwed.