Best Thread Live Cable Trading

Looks like Big Ben time if it gets past the big fig

If so, the pre-Big Ben is textbook quality :D

marmoset said:
Been very bold here :-0

Cleaned out all shorts below 8000 with their safety hedges... Scraped off some barnacles, working on getting a clean slate to test new rules with. Screen looks much less cluttered now...

Current left-overs from "take no losses" days:
short .1 at 8238 (currently -385 pips)
short .1 at 8269 (currently -354 pips)
short .1 at 8344 (currently -279 pips)
short .2 at 8385 (currently -240 pips)
short .1 at 8452 (currently -174 pips)
short .1 at 8475 (currently -145 pips)
short .1 at 8494 (currently -126 pips)
total .8 short "short position" as in "position trading"

Strategy:
let .2 short ride down to low, close for additional margin.
hedge .8 by going long, add .2 long for additional margin up to Tokyo high.
If pre-Big Ben build-up evident, close .8 and .2, go long to BigBen starting point,
reverse, add .1 short for the ride down
close whatever positions can be closed with extras
reverse, hedge still open short position +.2 for London frenzy (expect it to be big)

Liquid nitrogen day ahead! :devilish:

short .1 at 8644 closed at 8409: 35pips new rule
given that Tokyo low is around an hour away, no new position is added.
Aw, screw it, taking another .1 short down to pivot level, 8603 limit 8572 stop 8633, chalk it up to "Operation Barnacle". :p

marmoset, you must have seriously deep pockets!!
I understand that you are hedging, ( actually I only understand "hedging", your combo longs/shorts etc, makes my head spin ), and have to say I could not do what you are doing.

one of the reasons I moved away from the Dow and other indices to FX, was because its predispostion to trend more than indices ( and thus more suited to my MA-Xs ).
hedging surely only works at its optimum in a predominantly sideways market ?
( greater chance of hitting longs and shorts leaving fewer open positions, whereas, in a predominantly trend-friendly market, you get left with long-heavy or short-heavy positions )

if you are making good money, I salute you. :)

where do you get your liquid-nitrogen, I could do with some ? :)

trendie said:
marmoset, you must have seriously deep pockets!!
I understand that you are hedging, ( actually I only understand "hedging", your combo longs/shorts etc, makes my head spin ), and have to say I could not do what you are doing.

one of the reasons I moved away from the Dow and other indices to FX, was because its predispostion to trend more than indices ( and thus more suited to my MA-Xs ).
hedging surely only works at its optimum in a predominantly sideways market ?
( greater chance of hitting longs and shorts leaving fewer open positions, whereas, in a predominantly trend-friendly market, you get left with long-heavy or short-heavy positions )

if you are making good money, I salute you. :)

where do you get your liquid-nitrogen, I could do with some ? :)

Well, the hedging bit was born back in the demo-trading days when I couldn't get direction right.
Finding out where the intraday levels were to get in and out took me 10 months.

Moved away from stocks and stock options ages ago, too slow (but back then the Internet was barely hatched) information-wise and price-wise, and always the risk of somebody cooking the books.
Nah, give me FX, enough movement to job it intraday or swingtrade, trendfollowing also cool once a trend finally makes itself clear.

Anyway, hedging indeed works best in sideways markets. But observation has shown me that Tokyo is very predictable, early London is doable, early NY being the bugaboo, late NY fairly predictable. There, out of the 4 characteristic parts of the 24 hour FX day, I can work 3/4 using hedging. The other quarter is break-out time. Still working on strategy getting out of hedging before heading into NY... That's where 90% of my old shorts got left behind in the dust.

That's my goal for this week: scrape off the barnacles (out of the money shorts), leaving balance and usable margin intact. Tactic: at identifiable hi/lo snapback points go short/long with a bigger position than normal to accumulate extra money. Then, at or near the day's low, close those oldies, one by one.

As for liquid nitrogen: you can get it at any sport that involves real danger to life. Skydiving and rafting (solo) are my favorite charge-up points :cheesy:

Oops, while I'm yakking away here, cable's going up...

added .1 short at 8628

UK PPI coming up

closed long .1 8313 (thought it was 09) at 47 for 35pips (new rules)
went short .1 at 44 lim 09 sl 74, got closed out: -30
long .1 at 57 lim 92 sl 27

added entry short 8691 lim 56 sl 21

Cable sure delivers!

marmoset said:
UK PPI coming up

closed long .1 8313 (thought it was 09) at 47 for 35pips (new rules)
went short .1 at 44 lim 09 sl 74, got closed out: -30
long .1 at 57 lim 92 sl 27

added entry short 8691 lim 56 sl 21

Cable sure delivers!
oh my gosh..........
Meetings can cost a lot of money...good thing I didnt have any shorts open but on the other hand missed out on the new shorts :eek:

Not nice, cable stopped short just shy of the 91 short
went all the way down, activating the 44 .1 short

looking at a screenful of red here...

Price just below 20EMA, bouncing off middle Bollinger and 40EMA

Off for an hour or so getting my 2nd TFT screen back from repairs (CRTs suck)

NY getting ready, cable not looking like it wants to go down...

1.88 anyone?

Hmmm, looks like they're waiting for the Personal Income and Spending figures (20minutes)

Last edited:
closed 44 short at 39 for 1 pip, reversed with long at 39 to balance position

13.40, off to work

So how has your day been today guys....for me I have not been able to trade after 12 today due to work and other thing....seems like it has ranged very nicely today as well....I guess the cable not holding its strength due to fomc hmmm...well all we can do is wait and see...
I am looking at still buying cable at 55

marmoset said:
closed 44 short at 39 for 1 pip, reversed with long at 39 to balance position

13.40, off to work

So how are you mate.......Any progress made... :cheesy:

It may happen tommorow

Attachments

• gbp.gif
    gbp.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 172