Best Thread Live Cable Trading

Thanks Chow

I'm a little concerned that today might all rest on the Consumer Confidence figures this p.m., which is little better than a toss of a coin. Hopefully it will take Cable towards good medium term trade entry points though

Looking that way, OT.

Re range filter - finding the ratio between UK/US range : Asian range might be useful. There's a daily ratio method that filters out days where the ratio is <3.5 and/or the Asian range >70. High win rate in the 80's and significantly reduces # of trades.

ChowClown said:
Looking that way, OT.

Re range filter - finding the ratio between UK/US range : Asian range might be useful. There's a daily ratio method that filters out days where the ratio is <3.5 and/or the Asian range >70. High win rate in the 80's and significantly reduces # of trades.

I can see how the >70 bit works but surely the ratio is only a hindsight thing? Sorry to bother you but there isn't much else to do atm

...sorry, OT, don't follow you? Both are hindsight calcs using previous day's UK/US/Asian session ranges.

ChowClown said:
...sorry, OT, don't follow you? Both are hindsight calcs using previous day's UK/US/Asian session ranges.

Sorry, I thought you meant that if the Asian range is > 70 then you don't trade on that day in the European session which immediately follows e.g. today range = 75 points, therefore no trades.

Obviously the ratio between the Euro/US session: Asian session you won't know until after the US session and therefore you will only know in hindsight that you shouldn't have traded.

3 o'clocks just around the corner.I was going to write 'I'm stuck here sweltering like a pig with the fan on full blast' which prompted me to notice the fan was only on 1.NOW it's on full blast so headache please stat away.

Offshore Trader said:
Sorry, I thought you meant that if the Asian range is > 70 then you don't trade on that day in the European session which immediately follows e.g. today range = 75 points, therefore no trades.

Obviously the ratio between the Euro/US session: Asian session you won't know until after the US session and therefore you will only know in hindsight that you shouldn't have traded.
...apologies for the confusion. Today for example you take yesterday's EU and US session range as well as last night's Asian session range, to find the ratio in advance of today's EU session open. Last night's Asian session was >70, so no trades today (if either the ratio is less than 3.5 or Asian session range is greater than 70 = No Trade).

ChowClown said:
...apologies for the confusion. Today for example you take yesterday's EU and US session range as well as last night's Asian session range, to find the ratio in advance of today's EU session open. Last night's Asian session was >70, so no trades today (if either the ratio is less than 3.5 or Asian session range is greater than 70 = No Trade).

Got it! Thanks

ChowClown said:

CC: how often does the above situation occur?
Good work identifying non-trade days, by the way.
Can you take the above info, and infer that the subsequent session is going to be ranging?
(if you didnt want to not-trade, could you use the data to fade the signals?)
Or is that being greedy? :)

( I have been trying something similar, in that I was trying to see which bar or couple of bars represent the greatest range of the daily range - ie, the most volatile couple of hours per day, but you seem to have a better study)

...some intersting ideas there, TD. Again, not my work, other than scouring boards for info. I don't have the stats unfortunately and i can't pin-point the post where I originally found it. I'll try harder later.

CC: I see from your journal, you close out your trades at 4pm. (very civilised - just in time for afternoon tea)

do you cancel the orders if they are not triggered by a certain time, on the grounds they may not have enough room to develop before 4pm close ?

TD, aye, 4pm ties in nicely and all pending orders are cancelled at 4pm for the forward testing. I agree though, a tweak to the pending order cancellation would be useful. Today for example VEBO was filled on the sell order just before 15:30 and now with 2 mins to go before close, a loss is highly likely.