Light Crude Trading Tools

Edster

Hi,
Could someone please tell me what tools I would need to trade NYMEX Light Crude?
I currently use Sierra through IB to occasionally trade DOW Futures. Is there any way that I can get live pricing for, say, Light Crude Sept?
Do I need to subscribe to anything?

I started to Spread-Bet Crude three weeks ago and have done OK so I thought that I'd look at DA. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, what is the value for a pip movement? i.e. on the YM it's $5 per pip.

Cheers,

Edster

Edster said:
Also, what is the value for a pip movement? i.e. on the YM it's $5 per pip.

Cheers,

Edster

Aren't pips for forex and ticks for futures?

Edster said:
Pips / ticks / whatever. Sorry for getting it wrong.

No problem. Just don't have anything better to do than correcting posts on the Internet tonight. :cheesy:

Sorry

Doesn't Interactivebrokers provide the real time quotes for free if you trade a certain amount a month?

Alternatively, if you have an account with a Spreadbet company you can more or less see the real time crude prices (plus an amount of spread).

i am sure you can get IPE brent crude data for free at the moment from IB, i'm not sure if the Nymex is included in the $10 per month US commodities subscription

You get QM prices included, the electronic mini Nymex crude contract. Current 59.375/59.400 18h04 BST.

rog1111

Arbitrageur said:
i am sure you can get IPE brent crude data for free at the moment from IB, i'm not sure if the Nymex is included in the $10 per month US commodities subscription

cool - so he can get IPE brent and Nymex emiNY in with his IB data bunde for not much cost.

I am interested to know where I can trade Light Crude other than GCI. I have had a very bad experience with GCI because they do not honour limits and stops. I have spent months working on this market and am able to scalp usually 100 pips or more per morning but I need a reliable platform on which to trade. Any ideas?

Mardyroo

trade QM futures with IB, generally quite reliable, spreads may be a little wide on these minis though.

rog1111

Mardyroo said:
I am interested to know where I can trade Light Crude other than GCI. I have had a very bad experience with GCI because they do not honour limits and stops. I have spent months working on this market and am able to scalp usually 100 pips or more per morning but I need a reliable platform on which to trade. Any ideas?

Rog1111 I believe that IB charge commissions, although I have no direct experience of that company. DO none of the usual forex providers offer the option of commission-free trading of crude? I wwas attracted to GCI because I could use the standard miniforex platform for this kind of trading, but of course was sorely disappointed that they did not honour the limits and stops.

AS far as I know all futures trading attracts commissions, not least due to the fact that the exchanges also charge a fee which is included in the Brokers charges. With GCI and other forex brokers you should be aware that prices may be moved around to suit their agenda, and to stop out traders. Also to expect any of these companies to guarantee their stops and limits is frankly unrealistic, you need to read the fine print.

Good luck
rog1111

Mardyroo said:
Rog1111 I believe that IB charge commissions, although I have no direct experience of that company. DO none of the usual forex providers offer the option of commission-free trading of crude? I wwas attracted to GCI because I could use the standard miniforex platform for this kind of trading, but of course was sorely disappointed that they did not honour the limits and stops.

Just as an update, I tried the live feed for QM and it worked. (I just dropped IB a quick e-mail and they replied within a few minutes!)

Ticker is QM-200509-NYMEX

Thanks guys.

Edster,

Any chance you can make your posts a bit longer please ( at least equal to your list of champions headings) :cheesy:

Last edited: