Learn to Code

XxQuote399

Well,I never programmed in my life and theres a lot of platforms to test like tradestation and tradingblox ans someday I wish I can use a Monte Carlo Simulator

Hows the learning curve to start ?

I mean where do I start ? like phyton and shell script or direct on backtest platforms ?

You're long way from home. Trust me, it will take years before you'll be able to put anything half-decent together so unless you really like programming, don't bother with it.

Actually I disagree. Programming is much more accessible than ever before. If you take 6months to learn to program, and I mean actually learn you could be developing your own small programs.

Python is an excellent choice to start with. If you have zero programming experience then I recommend Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner . Just take the time out to learn Python and programming principals. If you become sufficient in one language then picking up another (such as C, Java, Perl) is not as difficult.

With Python you can do everything from build command line applications, full web based applications, GUI driven programs, games, etc etc

You can even create basic financial charting applications with MatplotLib and WxPython.

Start learning now and in 6months (or shorter if you fly through the book) you will have a good idea of programming and what you would like to do with your new found knowledge.

The fact that learning material is more accessible today than yesterday doesn't change the learning curve. Helpers or no helpers, programming is problem-solving thinking, not code-writing - despite what many people think. And you need to train your brain for that which takes time, not learn commands by heart. I don't want to be a jackass and argue here about programming, because honestly I don't care, but I actually hold a Bachelors in Informatics and I've been into IT since I was little so I don't talk out of my ass. As much enthusiastic as I want OP to be, I seriously doubt he'll learn programming unless he actually finds that interesting enough to devote a part of his life to it. In 6 months you barely learn what programming actually is, there's no way on Earth you can start writing serious applications such as charting stations in that amount of time.

I don't have a problem learning MQL or EasyLanguage because I already know the logic behind programming, it's only the syntax that's different, but for someone just starting out that can be as frustrating as trying to learn how to ride a bike for the first time. I don't believe in shortcuts and just like in trading or football, there are no shortcuts in programming either. If you underestimate something, you will fail at it.

Start here: Learn to code | Codecademy

Last edited:
If you are young go fo it. There is plenty on the web to start your learnign curve.

I'm glad to see someone link codeacademy above - it's great, and I'd recommend it as well. The learning curve with programming is smooth - you can start with baby steps, and ramp up at your own pace.

But I'd also echo what flbroker says. It doesn't matter what language you start with, because:

a) All languages are far more alike than they are different.
b) You'll be writing complete rubbish at first anyway.

So codeacademy will be fine, even though it's JS. You've got a program you want to write, that's a great motivator, but expect to write it badly many times before you write it well.

Hi,

If you have never programmed before, imho it will take a bit of time to start writing good code. I have seen Comp Sci grads from good unis writing pretty bad programs (Hard to read, understand, maintain, extend). I dont mean to discourage you but just that it will require effort and time (Just like anything else) to write good programs.

There could be many answeres when it comes to where to start from. I think a good start could be anything from C/Perl/shell to C++/Java et al. I would start with C/C++ to get a hang of how programming languages work and take it from there..

My 2 cents..

All the best :)

Learning the code and syntax may no take you long. The hardest part is to get your head thinking like a programmer. How to structure and think in detailed step by step.

I had this problem with excel but never really realised until i had moved on to the next level that i was missing a piece of the logical process. I have been doing it for a few years now but still nowhere near an expert.

Don't worry, programming is as simple as trading. You'll be making the coding equivalents of 2000% a week in no time.

Coders often like to think of themselves a ninjas – although it’s rare to find one with a ninja’s physique. In fairness though if you think of coding like a martial art where you're putting relative easy to understand techniques into place. Soon you'll be putting sequences together and you’ll find a styles that suit you and areas which you might struggle with. As with most things, you’ll be drawn to use the techniques which you are most comfortable, even if they might not be the best to defeat your opponent. If you're ill-disciplined then when something goes wrong it will be harder to get past the problem you’re having, as it will be difficult for anyone else to help you. As with fighting (and surfing, poker and a tone of other things), the action itself is a relatively small proportion of the activity itself… preparation, adaptability, patience and time spent deciphering what went right and wrong (debugging) is going to be something any coder does a lot of.

LearnStreet - Coding Starts Here gives you a very simple interface to get hands on experience on Ruby, Javascript & Python.

Love their Ruby course LearnStreet - Coding Starts Here

I think Ruby is the simplest language to learn to code. :cheesy:

Actually I disagree. Programming is much more accessible than ever before. If you take 6months to learn to program, and I mean actually learn you could be developing your own small programs.

Python is an excellent choice to start with. If you have zero programming experience then I recommend Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner . Just take the time out to learn Python and programming principals. If you become sufficient in one language then picking up another (such as C, Java, Perl) is not as difficult.

With Python you can do everything from build command line applications, full web based applications, GUI driven programs, games, etc etc

You can even create basic financial charting applications with MatplotLib and WxPython.

Start learning now and in 6months (or shorter if you fly through the book) you will have a good idea of programming and what you would like to do with your new found knowledge.

There are also C programming online courses especially for traders.

Can't be a very good trader if he wants to learn C.

I worked with a loser trader once. He found great satisfaction in managing IT projects. I think it saved him from losing money.

so you are referring to the course you've written yourself. any other free courses?

I cant see the point personally, why try learning something that takes so long, when you could pay somebody
Its like learning mechanics just because you're car doesn't start. its not expensive to get somebody else to do it..focus on your strengths!