Lap Top PC for Trading ?

neil

Legendary member
Hi,

Is it possible to buy a lap top that is just as powerful as a desk top Pc for trading shares/futures ?

17 inch plus lap top screen machines available yet ?

I ask since I am thinking of using it to trade whilst abroad,
and/or replacing my desk top with a powerful lap top.

Comments welcome.

:?:

15" LCD is the norm = 17" regular monitor. You don't need anything special... a 2 gig celeron blah blah for well under a grand...

I use a recently-purchased Fujitsu laptop ( 2.4Ghz, 256Mb, 20GB drive, WinXp home etc etc) for trading on a daily basis, hooked up to an additional 17in monitor.

Works fine, no problems at all. Far more reliable, in fact, than my previous desktop but thats probably down to the O/S more than anything.

Only time it gets close to struggling is when I've got too many windows open, but it'll deal with 7 or 8 no problems.

And you get the benefit of having battery power if there is a power cut. No need to have a UPS.

I do all my trading via a laptop with a 14.1" screen and an additional 17" monitor plugged in and it is fine.

Oldun,

What about the power to the modem ?

I have a UPS just for my modem and hands free phone because if the power goes off I still want to be able to close any trades I have. This means that I still need power to my modem and if that doesnt work I still need power to my phone to get to the trading desk as soon as I can.

Cheers

Paul

T333

does that mean u use either the 17" monitor or the laptop screen at any one time?

or do u "spilt" your screen between the 2 - i only ask in case that is possible..

cheers

Laptops have their modems either internally fitted or via a PCMCIA card,or at least the ones that were made this centuary have. :cheesy:

I have a dual screen setup which my Sony Vaio allows via the settings menu as shown below. I didnt even know that this was possible until I checked the settings menu whilst looking for something else. This means that I effectively have one screen covering two monitors and is a standard set up for many daytraders.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• dual.jpg
    dual.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 752
Paul,

I use ISDN dialup (no broadband here) and the built in laptop modem as a backup.

Thanks to your advice re phone contact with IB I remain happy with the security of the set up.

Regards.

Oldun

2 screens

very interesting - i have a dell laptop with w98 and something similar on it ... wonder if I can do something - would anyone else know?

i imagine i can - should i get another screen and try....

i'm glad i asked t333 to clarify with what i thought might be a silly question ...

Attachments

• display properties.jpg
    display properties.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 612
dsmodi,

You can use your laptop just like a desktop with 2 cards. Just plug in a monitor and try it.

Oldun

cool! thanks!

wierd thing is i used to have an old 17" monitor (which blew up! - all that mega - heavy trading u know, of course), and then an older 15" monitor plugged in - but i just never knew about this .... u live n' learn ....

cheers mate :)

(double glad i asked what i thought was a silly question - just goes to prove dunnit.........

Dsmodi,

Plug in another monitor and then just click the little arrow at the end of where it says "display" and you get a second option, select it and then click on the option to extend your windows display and there you go.

Paul

Except ATI drivers have dual monitor support built into their software. If you have a dual monitor harware support feature, then you can get 2 displays up. Viao is one of the few laptops that has dual monitor support.I doubt your dell has....

> dsmodi,

I run 2 screens on a 650mhz dell laptop,, but I think you need
XP , I couldn't find a Dell video driver to support dual monitors
so I used a Compaq one and it worked fine..

I also bought a 2nd hand dell docking station stuck in a matrox quad card and can run up to 6 monitors at once..

ian

Recently bought a Dell Inspiron laptop from Dell "Outlet" ie £200 off because it is a returned one or something, very pleased with it. 512 ram, 2.4 pentium etc etc. Very fast, using desktop less and less.

It has a 15" screen, which feels just as big as a 17" analogue due to high resolution.
Have a 17" flatpanel with my desktop at the office with Matrox Dual head graphics card, but am not using that feature any more.

Found that once I have a position on, it is less distracting to just have the chart up rather than have the depth of market , P&L flashing etc .....

I've got a now slightly ageing Dell Inspiron 8000 (although it was the top of the range graphics option when I bought it). It handles an extra monitor fine.

wysi

EUREKAAAAAAAAA! :D

IT WORKS! IT ABSOLUTELY WORK!!!!!

AND I CAN'T HELP SHOUTING ABOUT IT AND LET THE WORLD KNOW!!!!!! :p
I CONNECTED A MONITOR TO ME DELL LAPTOP, TWEAKED THE SETTINGS THINGGYS AND VOILA! NOW I HAVE 2 SCREENS!!!! (1)THE LAPTOP AND (2) THE MONITOR :cheesy:

HOW COOL IS THAT?
AND IT ALL COST ME ALL OF £0!!!! :cool: IT WAS FREEEEEEE !!!!!!!!! ;)

THANK YOU T333 , OLDUN ET AL...... :LOL: IF YA WERE STANDING NEXT TO ME, YOU'D HAVE KISSES ALL OVER YA!!!!!!!! :eek: ;) :-0 :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

CHEERS!!!!!!

Last edited: