Know any US brokers that allow UK citizens?

jitasb said:
The Etrade CFD platform for US Equities : Do you get Level 2 ?
And as I understand it, the min commission is $19.99, is this correct ?

You get Level II but only for UK equities, you'll need someone like:

www.prophet.net

For NASDAQ Level II.

As for the charges, it's on the website, I tried a quick test trade for you and the price never exceeded £17.70 on any amount of shares - but I think they also skew the spread slightly (by 2 points). I recommend ETrade because of the very good service I've received, you have a account manager who always returns your calls and emails say day.

HTH

You can use Optionsxpress if a UK citizen I have link below to open account....

Well, the question is in the titile.

Whenever Ive tried some brokers like Etrade, they say that Im not elegible to trade because i am a UK citizen. Know any brokers that will let me?

My Uk nroker, Barclays will let me trade US, but it is akward and expensive, Im looking for a way to save money.

I have taught trading in the UK for over 4 years...my broker and the one i suggest to look at is https://www.optionsxpress.com/new_account.asp?asid=2668

US broker allows UK to trade

Hi Hittfeld, yes from what I can find out there are FSA restriction on what products can be offered in this country to UK nationals by foriegn brokers. It seems some brokers simply modify the sevices they provide to UK customers verses their US customers and that placates the FSA. Others however are not willing to do so and have a policy of offering all services to all cutomers. The result is that they are not given approval by the FSA and therefore cannot do business with UK nationals resident in the UK. The interesting thing I was told was that if you are a US citzen but resident in the UK companies such as Cybertrader may still be able to provide all services for you.

You can go to the link and open account with Optionsxpress I know they take UK citizens

https://www.optionsxpress.com/new_account.asp?asid=2668

Regards
SereneInvestor
Serene Investor

etrade if i trade once every 3 years?

You can open a US account with e trade here in the uk,they're based in the city.IB,directaccesselite.com,Tradestation,or even a cfd account with many uk companies that allow you access to US stocks.

Hi all,

I am trying to trade a small amount of money on the mid term. I would like to buy about 2K or so in US stocks and wait 2 or 3 years before considering selling. Would Etrade be the best option? I don't plan to touch that money during that period, nor trade anything else...
I understand that they charge 19.99$ plus 1.75$ per contract in my case. As my shares would be priced around 24$ right now, I would get around 200 of them and that's more than 300$ that they would take from me once I sell.
Does it make sense that they price the contracts like that, so that only the expensive ones are worthy? or am I missing something?

Edited: Right! Iand I should make Wire Transfers to the US, which my bank charges at a minimum of £25... and of course they would charge me for the wire transfer back here I presume.
Maybe this is not potentially as profitable as I thought.

Last edited: