Buying US stocks from UK

newtyron

1 0
Hi,

Im looking to buy some stocks, but am finding that the UK companies charge quite a bit for each transaction:

tddirectinvesting.co.uk charge £12 per trade, and £5 if you do lots.

I notice that there are some US brokers that charge only $3 per trade.

If Im based in the UK do I have to go through a UK broker, or can I use one in the US? (bearing in mind Im only interested in US stocks). If so, you have any idea which one is good?

Cheers

N

timsk

Legendary member
7,598 2,374
If Im based in the UK do I have to go through a UK broker, or can I use one in the US? (bearing in mind Im only interested in US stocks). If so, you have any idea which one is good?
Hi newtyron,
Welcome to T2W.

As a U.K. resident you can have an account with a U.S. broker to trade U.S. stocks and futures - no problem at all. You'll have to complete a tax form to ensure you aren't liable to pay tax in the U.S. - but the broker will advise you of that when you register with them.

For stocks, Interactive Brokers are one of the biggest, best known and enjoy a good reputation. Others include MBTrading, TradeStation and Lightspeed. Check out the Broker Reviews section for details on all of them - and more besides.
Tim.

ryandj2222

105 3
iWeb charges £5 per transaction for UK and US shares (and European), plus currency conversion on buys and sells. I found it to be fairly reasonable, but don't buy many US stocks.

Last edited:

Trader1UK

Established member
648 14
iWeb charges £5 per transaction for UK and US shares (and European), plus currency conversion on buys and sells. I found it to be fairly reasonable, but don't buy many US stocks.

Whats their trading platform like? do they offer level 2 too?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock