Is this a genuine company or a scam?

Another carbon credit broker gets shuts down.

Folks, as I and others keep warning everyone these scammers are follow the same blueprint. The only people making money from carbon credits are the big carbon credit traders, ie the banks and other big financial institutions.

Legit carbon credit deals are NOT offered to the retail. The only deals offered to retail are scams, pure and simple. These scam companies sell products like carbon credits because they're complex, are hard to do research on, and different which means a good story can be spun.

Future World carbon credit scam took victims for £2.5m - Investigations

Look at my previous posts on this thread, I've listed at least 4 linsk from the scambusters team at the Daily Mirror. Please note how the carbon credit scams are ALL THE SAME.

If you're called bya firm, ANY firm, offering carbon credits you are being setup with 100% surety, not 99%, not 99.9% or even 99.99%, but 100%...

Look at my previous posts on this thread, I've listed at least 4 linsk from the scambusters team at the Daily Mirror. Please note how the carbon credit scams are ALL THE SAME.

If you're called bya firm, ANY firm, offering carbon credits you are being setup with 100% surety, not 99%, not 99.9% or even 99.99%, but 100%...

BobbyBB - yes, but I want to focus on taking action. One of the players in this market in Carbon-ex (based in Lux). They have sold credits direct but also through a number of brokers including MH Carbon.

Regardless of who you bought them through your contract is probably with Carbon-ex (through their solicitors Colemans).

This means that Carbon-ex are ultimately liable for wrong doing under the agency/principal principle. So if your broker has disappeared or is not delivering on its promises of great returns you should go after Carbon-ex.

In law the word 'misrepresentation' is used to describe the use of false statements made in order to induce you into a contract. This what we have all been victims of. This is a 'tort' – a civil wrong – which allows you to claim damages – i.e. get your money back plus interest.

Carbon-ex will refer you to the Risk Warnings in the Terms of Business and contract, specifically a section which states that any representations (statements) made cannot be relied on. But you have the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 on your side. This states that a term is unfair if: it is not expressed in plain intelligible language and it causes a significant imbalance in the parties rights and obligations and this is to the detriment of the consumer. So, if the court agrees, they cannot rely on this and your claim for the tort of misrepresentation succeeds.

So suggested steps are:

Write to Carbon-ex (cc Colemans) stating that you were misled into buying credits by the promises of an exit plan/superior returns and it is now clear that those claims were false. Point out that as your contract is with them, they are responsible.

If they reply, it will probably state that your broker, not them is responsible (wrong) and refer you to the Risk Warnings in the Terms of Business and contract.

Then get your solicitor to write them a letter referring to all the stuff I mention above. (OK this will cost you a bit). They will probably pass this to their solicitors (Walker Morris) who will prevaricate, delay and suggest that your claim is weak and their client has no liability. Also:

Contact the FSA and give details (The FSA cannot pursue your claim but may investigate and blacklist Carbon-ex if enough people do this)

Make a claim through the Financial Ombudsmen.

Write to the Lux authorities (CSSF) email [email protected]

Contact Action Fraud

If your claim is for less than £10K you can make a claim through the Small Claims Court. You can do it yourself to avoid costs and even if you don't succeed they can't claim back their costs. If that is beyond your compass just contact me and if enough people do so we can take a class action (where many people sue together) against them.

Most importantly. Take action. Do not give up!

Note how these scammers go around and around with different companies. This is why it's SO IMPORTANT to find the details about the people you're doing business with. legit personal at legit companies normally make this kind o info freely available. Conmen and scam companies normally hide it....

People must learn how to go about this investment game correctly otherwise you're going to be an easy money mark for the scammers and your money will soon be in the scammers hands....

Charming gentleman that runs this carbon credit broker.

Danger: green investment from Capital Carbon Credits - Investigations

If the scammers aren't ripping their 'valued' customers (they're known as 'valued' for a reason) with carbon credits they're using the same sales patter to scam them on foreign agricultural land -

Danger: farmland investment from African Land - Investigations

And if they're not ripping their valued clients off with carbon credits or valueless land then it will be fake IPOs, Wine, Teak plantations, coconut plantations in Brazil etc. Anything that can be spun into a good story where it's not so easy to do quality research. Tell the punters they can make easy and quick profits and many of them start salivating and asking where to wire the money........

I have been contacted by a company called who apparently offer an exit service but only have offices in Spain and Dubai but companies house says the office is registered in London? again an attempt to be genuine but completely failed. The guy that owns it also owns a company which coincidentally only sells alternative investments classed as risk investments but does not mention a single product? Why own a company that sells carbon credits and a separate company that exits credits and the offices are in separate countries?

Last edited by a moderator:
One good investment tip is to avoid all companies with 'Wealth' in their title and especially ones that offer 'alternative investments'.

Read the comments on this post.

See the valuations the company puts on the land versus what it's actually worth.

See how (surprise surprise) investors have been told that due to the 'climate' returns won't be anything like they were promised.

See how the people behind one company have moved on to another (selling African Timber).

See how the investors only bother to do their own research into what they're bought AFTER they've realised it's all going wrong. Tip: Research MUST BE DONE FIRST.

It would be all so laughable if it wasn't so tragic for the investors.

Danger: farmland investment from African Land - Investigations

I have been contacted by a company who apparently offer an exit service but only have offices in Spain and Dubai but companies house says the office is registered in London? again an attempt to be genuine but completely failed. The guy that owns it also owns a company which coincidentally only sells alternative investments classed as risk investments but does not mention a single product? Why own a company that sells carbon credits and a separate company that exits credits and the offices are in separate countries?

I have been asking him to exit some of my credits from The SIIP for last few months - But promised exit dates for different project investments have been changing with no clear answers - I am devastated having no access to my hard earned money. I was given false promises by the company . I used to be contacted regularly when they wanted my money now they hardly get in touch ---I am

Last edited by a moderator: