Is there a broker or a site offering a good dry-run (demo) account?

Vara La Fey

Total noob trying to learn and to dry-run strategies. I need to find an online broker or DIY site where I can get access to real-world info in near to real time. It seems that most brokerages want bank accounts linked or have minimum deposits. I am soooo not ready for that.

I'll keep looking, of course, but I'm still so ignorant that I waste time on dead ends. F'rinstance, I signed up with Schwab because they bought OptionsXpress, only to be told by 2 reps that Schwab immediately got rid of the OptionsExpress paper account feature. Plus I'm already feeling babied by them. Grrrr.

Thanks so much for whatever you can tell me. :)

not sure what US brokers are offering .....but all brokers will offer Demo accounts for free im sure

Not so much

not sure what US brokers are offering .....but all brokers will offer Demo accounts for free im sure

Thx, but Schwab doesn't have one at all. The others don't generally make it easy to see if they eve have it. So now I'm just trying to find one which handles enough exchanges to do all asset classes. Prolly I'll have to sign up with a couple of them to get all bases covered.

Ya see, I want to learn at least a little about everything, because I don't know which I'll be best at and where I will end up.

As I see you are also interested in options, try thinkorswim demo, that way you can test out strangle and straddle ideas for Tesla (y)

Yeah, I'm totally interested in options because 1) leverage, 2) limited losses, 3) hedging, and 4) things I don't know about yet. I've heard of ThinkOrSwim, didn't know what it was. Will check it out today. Thx!!

As I see you are also interested in options, try thinkorswim demo, that way you can test out strangle and straddle ideas for Tesla (y)

I've got paperMoney open right now and am trying to learn it. I went with TD Ameritrade anyway, due to paperMoney and consistently positive reviews for the brokerage features I want. So at least I'm getting all tooled up. Thx again.

In my spreadsheet I ran 6 different straddle/strangle type variations last week. Tesla plunged a bit and I would have made gobs of money on my best strategies, and would have made at least some on all of them. :)

But paperMoney/thinkorswim isn't showing as many available puts/calls as Cboe's Livevol did, so I'm not sure what's up there or how to compensate.

I use XM for forex trading and they offer a lot of pairs plus free demo.
Good luck. Let us know how you are getting on. Most newbies blow a couple of accounts before settling in.

Well, great. My fcking net connection went away, and the re-login page wiped out THIS page, took my un-posted reply with it, and won't go back. Fcking grrrrr.

Presumed translation: right soddin' ********, actually, innit? Might bloody throw a wobbler.

Anyway, thx y'all. Paper trading would make a great sticky for noobs, if there isn't such a thing already. 'How To Practice Your Trades First". But using the terms "demo" and "paper" interchangeably confuses noobs, as the 1st implies making any kind of trades with nag-ware, and the 2nd implies making only practice trades with any kind of ware.

I'm with TDAmeritrade now, using paperMoney, which is just the dry-run MODE of thinkorswim. There's a mode toggle every time you launch the app. So far I'm very happy with that whole tos/pM/TDA setup.

I broke up with Schwab. Sorry, Charlie.

Cause someone asked: my dry-runs are doing well. 1st week's dipped briefly ITM a few times. Last week's TSLA plunge put all 6 of my then-current pairs ITM, and my best came out to very nearly 400% roi. This week's dry-runs haven't hit the money yet. I should find additional volatile co's to test on, and additional intra-day and intra-week strategies anyway. I gotta work temp jobs to fund my first real runs, so of course I hope to snowball them into full-time trading. Yeah, aren't I just the ambitious little bizz-otch?

I wanna burn my resume. Someone should write a little app for that. Hold a modifier key when you delete a file, and along with the deletion you get animation of a flamethrower burning the icon, or a shotgun shooting it, and such. Call it "Spite". Or "Grrrr". Yeah, that's def what I wanna do to my resume.

After acquiring knowledge of forex via various theoretical learning tools, like You Tube trading videos, online training courses, webinars, a trader needs to pass sufficient amount of time in his practice with demo trades. Without practicing trades with demo trading accounts, a trader’s trading voyage can be incomplete since demos can help a trader to set realistic goals and make trading strategy systematically as with demos a trader can get the real ideas of trading.