Intraday Moving Averages

scipio

I am trying to perfect a method suitable for Day Trading in Indexes and Stocks only.

My first evaluations are based on the 4 hour chart, to establish the general trend; followed by 1 hour and 15 minutes charts for precise entry point.

Could anyone advice me on the Moving Averages ( Exponential or others ) that should be applied to the 4 and 1 hour charts, to obtain information on the momentum and strength of the prevailing trend ?

Advice and relevant explanation will be well appreciated

Thank you

cheers!
I think 1 minutes or 2 minutes chart can be good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From Shanghai China

To decide what moving averages should be used it would be helpful to first decide how they will be used. Then the right length and type can be suggested. What will the ma(s) be telling you and when?

Buying and selling pressure

Dear Kiwi

Basically a good MA should let me know when, in up-trend market, the sell pressure ( for the day ) is stronger then buy one and vice-versa in down-trend market.

Naturally I would use additional techniques ( RSI bands, Stochastic bands, trend and support lines, fibonacci, SAR ) to establish entry and exit points.

Do you agree or do you practice a more advanced use of MAs ?

Thank you for your help

Regarding the mas. If I was trying to do what you are doing i would experiment with lengths (20 and 50 are always good starting points) and see which ones lead you to a down trend if price is below and vice versa. A good ema might well have price bounce off it during retraces in the trend.

fabius said:
I am trying to perfect a method suitable for Day Trading in Indexes and Stocks only.

My first evaluations are based on the 4 hour chart, to establish the general trend; followed by 1 hour and 15 minutes charts for precise entry point.

Could anyone advice me on the Moving Averages ( Exponential or others ) that should be applied to the 4 and 1 hour charts, to obtain information on the momentum and strength of the prevailing trend ?

Advice and relevant explanation will be well appreciated

Thank you

You need to experiment with different lengths and with simple or ema.

I'm presently using 5 and 15 minute bar charts and a 10 period ema, but I fiddle with these at least every 2-weeks if not more.

It also depends on what instrument you are trading and you'll need seperate charts for each.

rgds