Interactive UK equities spread betting thread

barneydunn

116 31
Here are some charts I am watching. Admiral is below the 100 sma but that's a good support level and the 100 sma is nowhere near turning. It could just be an extended pullback. Same with Whitbread. Also I'm thinking brewers are never going to go broke and pubs are opening up a bit more from next week. Schroders looks interesting because it's bouncing from the 100 sma but the PA to the left just looks a bit choppy. I'll watch and wait and see what happens. I have some free margin from closing the ftse trade so I may be able to get a trade on one or two of these if they look right in the morning.
ADMIRALDaily 12 5 21.png
SCHRODERSDaily 12 5 21.png
WHITBREADDaily 12 5 21.png

barneydunn

116 31
Looks like more than just a pullback here so I have banked everything and ended up with £575 profit. Not bad on a £10000 account in the time I've been trading it but very disappointing as I had some big trades at break even which had potential to make some big money. I'll wait until things look a bit more favourable and then start adding some trades on.

ARBinstruktor

31 3
OK!

Here are some questions!

1, why spread bets? for tax reasons? currency hedge?
2. there are NO swaps shown! Is it a swap free account?
3. Any limitations or extra fees for short positions?
4. Could you post the full list of intruments (stocks AND ETFs, at list for UK and USA)?

Looking forward ...

barneydunn

116 31
OK!

Here are some questions!

1, why spread bets? for tax reasons? currency hedge?
2. there are NO swaps shown! Is it a swap free account?
3. Any limitations or extra fees for short positions?
4. Could you post the full list of intruments (stocks AND ETFs, at list for UK and USA)?

Looking forward ...
Hello...

1) Spread best because the gains are free from tax.
2) Swaps are taken but only a few pounds a day and in relation to the wins it's not truly significant.
3) It doesn't seem so, I was mostly going long but any short trades I took went fine.
4) That would be quite a list! I was trading with ADS Securities who have a reasonable range of the larger UK companies and I was just using those.

I haven't been trading this way for a while as the ftse started getting a bit choppy and all positions were getting pulled about together so I have switched to trading indices on a shorter timeframe. I am doing quite well with it at the moment. If I can keep it going then I will just do that. My friend makes money every day trading dax, he's like a machine. I just need to get into his mindset and I'm never going back to work again!

Reactions: mpups
Hi barneydunn,
I just found your thread today and am very happy and excited about it. Keep up the thread, I will write more when I get the time soon, nice work!

Last edited:

jewel3

2 1
It would be really helpful if you could tell us what are the daily funding charges (overnight swap fees) for ADS as a percentage please? Fees were traditionally a percentage above LIBOR. They do add up over years.

As you are in pounds, why do you use them instead of a London based spread betting provider such as City Index (although it is ultimately owned in the USA)?

barneydunn

116 31
It would be really helpful if you could tell us what are the daily funding charges (overnight swap fees) for ADS as a percentage please? Fees were traditionally a percentage above LIBOR. They do add up over years.

As you are in pounds, why do you use them instead of a London based spread betting provider such as City Index (although it is ultimately owned in the USA)?
To be honest I don't know. I know that each positon would cost a few pounds a night to hold depending on the postion size but in relation to the amount I was making per position it was a fraction. I wouldn't be holding for years, likely a month at most and say £30 charge for the overnight holding on a position that made me £3000 would not worry me.

I use ADS as they have an office in London, they offer a good range of instruments at good spreads and city index do not offer the same (or most other spread bet brokers with mt4).

jewel3

2 1
To be honest I don't know. I know that each positon would cost a few pounds a night to hold depending on the postion size but in relation to the amount I was making per position it was a fraction. I wouldn't be holding for years, likely a month at most and say £30 charge for the overnight holding on a position that made me £3000 would not worry me.

I use ADS as they have an office in London, they offer a good range of instruments at good spreads and city index do not offer the same (or most other spread bet brokers with mt4).
Thanks. It sounds as if ADS are offering a longer list of equities for you.
Good luck and let's hope/see it going well.

Reactions: barneydunn

barneydunn

116 31
Thanks. It sounds as if ADS are offering a longer list of equities for you.
Good luck and let's hope/see it going well.
Thanks, yes they do have a good range of instruments. I've not been daily trading for a little while as I've been day trading indices but I should be going back to the daily shares soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock