Interactive UK equities spread betting thread

barneydunn

Hello, I posted a thread in trading journals, link here...

But I think this might be a better home for what I want to do. I'm looking for other people who are spread betting UK shares so maybe we can share some ideas. My account is posted on the other thread as well as some charts I am watching. I will try and update day by day what happens to my account and what trades I am taking or charts that I am looking at. Basically discretionary trend following, buying support in up trends and holding on. My deposit is now £10000 and equity around £12000 so I'm looking good at the moment but of course I might not bank all of that.

I'm trying out mt5 with Pepperstone, not keen on the programming although I can code for mt4. I've attached an indicator I coded/altered that shows the spread in whole points, the margin required to open a trade for £1 and also how much you can open a trade for at your current available margin. Hopefully someone else will find it useful. Actually I haven't, I can't seem to be able to attach it. I'll try again.

Indicator in top left corner. I can't seem to attach it, not a supported file type, but if you want it I'm sure we can find a way.
British_Land_(BLND.L)_SBDaily 9 5 21.png

I've closed out the Smiths trades. I don't like the look of it any more. What started as a break out trade has turned into fighting the 10 sma, not something I like doing. I made a small profit on the whole operation anyway.
SMITHSDaily 10 5 21.png

I've bought another £10 Standard Chartered. These trades that are higher up I will probably take profit on at some stage rather than trying to hold them for too long. The nearer the trade is to the 100 sma the better it is to hold and these breakouts higher up are better for short term profits I think. £90 risk on this one anyway.
STAN-CHARTDDaily 10 5 21.png

I've had a look at the Pepperstone account and the spreads are a lot wider than the ADS so I'm just going to switch the £2400 to ADS.

Lloyds coming up to resistance. I've got a take profit just below for the two higher trades. I can see that pulling back to that level so may as well take some profit off before it pulls back. I'll leave the lower trade which is at break even and see if it sticks.
LLOYDSDaily 10 5 21.png

Here is the state of play at lunchtime today with the 2400 invested. So I've deposited £10000 into this account (since trading shares).
acc 10 5 21 12 26.PNG

Someone in the previous thread asked if I definitely had a spread betting account because I was paying commission. Here is the answer from the broker...

"We can confirm that account xxxxxx is indeed a spread betting account.

On MT4 some instruments are displayed this way because it's a generic platform, but rest assured the trading account mentioned is a Spread Bet account and the profits therefore are not subject to capital gains tax in the UK."

It was a pretty good day I think. The Lloyds trades hit the take profit and then it immediately reversed. That's resistance for you! It went about 0.2 points over the take profit price so a bit lucky really. M and S and Standard Chartered new trades went ok. Only Antofagasta not playing the game at the moment.
acc 10 5 21 close.PNG

Everything pulling back a bit today. Antofagasta went out for a loss. I just opened BP at support for £100 risk.
BPDaily 11 5 21.png

I've added this on the index too. It's bounced almost to the point off the s/r level. £112 risk.
UK100.SBDaily 11 5 21.png

Someone in the previous thread asked if I definitely had a spread betting account because I was paying commission

Yes I asked you about this, and thanks for the clarification. As I said I have not seen that set up before, but having looked on their website I eventually found their charging structure which confirms their commission rates on spreadbets is 8bps presumably on the buy and sell (although your commission appears to be working out at 16bps? Do they charge you again when you sell?)
If I read it correctly the spread on equities and their commission rate is identical to their CFDs, which on the face of it seems a pretty good offering. I used to SB a lot of equities but have moved primarily over to indices for leveraged trading, and do my share trading through the more traditional route.

Good luck with what you are doing. I will look on with interest.

Yes I asked you about this, and thanks for the clarification. As I said I have not seen that set up before, but having looked on their website I eventually found their charging structure which confirms their commission rates on spreadbets is 8bps presumably on the buy and sell (although your commission appears to be working out at 16bps? Do they charge you again when you sell?)
If I read it correctly the spread on equities and their commission rate is identical to their CFDs, which on the face of it seems a pretty good offering. I used to SB a lot of equities but have moved primarily over to indices for leveraged trading, and do my share trading through the more traditional route.

Good luck with what you are doing. I will look on with interest.
There is no charge when you sell. I can't find anywhere with better spreads although they can slip you a bit.

.... Indicator in top left corner. I can't seem to attach it, not a supported file type
What is the file extension that you are trying to attach ?

Also I think more people will be viewing this thread than you think as many people watch but not always post replies.

Everything down today, lost on the BP and the ftse trades. I've added a couple more trades, croda and imi, hard down to support so looking for a bounce. I'll post charts and account later.

Here is the account. The equity is down a lot from yesterday but there are some good trades there that could easily make that back. That was quite a drop today so we will have to see if the selling continues tomorrow or if everything bottoms out and starts turning back up. I'm not going to hold everything open for long if everything starts dropping again. Even with the equity drop today I'm still in profit overall since I started so I would want to try and keep at least some of that. Then go to cash, regroup and wait for things to turn up again. Hopefully that won't happen and I can keep these trades open longer as there could be some big profits on some of these if they keep going. That's one thing I've learned up to now, you have to keep smiling and thinking positively even when it all looks like it's turned to shit.

acc 11 5 21 close.PNG

No replies yet so I'm guessing there is absolutely no one else here who spread bets stocks?!
I don't, however im really interested to see how you do. Good luck and do keep it up..
would you care to share what you're looking at, which seems to be a break of resistance, and with the MAs on the chart, clearly looking for confluence of MAs heading in the right direction. what's your exit criteria if you dont mind me asking?