Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Statements

The first is some risk analysis tool. ?I just want to see the performance of the share, in percentage terms.
The second instead works daily, I wanna see old trades too, how can i do that?

cheers
If you go to account management either via the trading platform or through the website you can view and download daily, weekly or monthly statements in a variety of formats. These show executions for the past.

Charlton

For your reference, we ask the same margin requirements the local regulated exchanges ask thier members. Because we are a direct access broker, (i.e., you trade directly on an exchange and we do not view your order first, increase the spread of the quote and get to trade against it, like spread betting) we can only offer you the minimum margin requirements an exchange asks.

For example,

ER = Emini Russell future on Globex
Intraday initial $2,000

DAX = DAX future on Eurex
Intraday initial margin EUR 8,600

Last edited:
For your reference, we ask the same margin requirements the local regulated exchanges ask thier members. Because we are a direct access broker, (i.e., you trade directly on an exchange and we do not view your order first, increase the spread of the quote and get to trade against it, like spread betting) we can only offer you the minimum margin requirements an exchange asks.

For example,

ER = Emini Russell future on Globex
Intraday initial $2,000

DAX = DAX future on Eurex
Intraday initial margin EUR 8,600

I've noticed the DAX margin is becoming increasingly bigger. At one point it used to be around EUR 7000. As I understand, this is part due to the increase in volatility and current point situation of DAX (8000).

When I go to the IB page that lists the "Futures Maintenance and Overnight Margin Requirements" I can see all the different margin requirements. However I'm interested in the correct formula how the margin is calculated, but I can't find it there. The link "For more information on these margin requirements, please click here" seems to be malfunctioning...?

Thank you, but unfortunately I've already visited those pages but they don't answer my question. The missing link is in the second URL. If you go to that page, you can see
"For more information on these margin requirements, please click here" but the links provided seem to lead to a 404 error, especially the one next to Eurex.

It is not that simple. A good information about risk-based margining on Eurex is available for exchange members only.

IB's data feed and software or another?

I am UK based and about to open an individual trading account with IB to actively trade nasdaq quoted shares intraday scalping and some international ETFs to position trade.

What RT data feed do IB provide? Should I accept what IB offers?

What about software?

I have read about Button Trader and Ninja Trader. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I have direct access accounts with iDealing, both inside and outside an ISA and they provide a data feed. I want to avoid duplication.

Thanks in advance.

Catt

Lots of info on their website

I am UK based and about to open an individual trading account with IB to actively trade nasdaq quoted shares intraday scalping and some international ETFs to position trade.

What RT data feed do IB provide? Should I accept what IB offers?

What about software?

I have read about Button Trader and Ninja Trader. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I have direct access accounts with iDealing, both inside and outside an ISA and they provide a data feed. I want to avoid duplication.

Thanks in advance.

Catt
Catt

The data feeds are supplied from the markets you choose to trade. The fees and the data available are all described on their site under Fees > Market Data

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/marketData.php?ib_entity=uk

You don't have to use these, if for example, you are using 3rd party software to chart and to submit orders e.g. Button Trader. Personally I use trader workstation, but I know that some people find it difficult to set up. This is because there are so many options available. I would suggest that you view the live or "previously held webinar recordings" on their site

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/education/webinars.php?ib_entity=uk

Also they do free evening seminars in London taking you through different aspects of using their software

Most complaints on T2W seem to be about their charting functionality. You can use their API to pass data across to charting software or to/from 3rd party software to process orders. This includes excel.

Look at their site under Software > FIX/API where you can find manuals on this

Charlton

Company reports

Hello all,

I hold quite a large number of stocks through IB and as such I'm receiving enough company reports to fill a rain forest. Is there any way I can "opt out" of receiving these through the post?

Thanks in advance,
UTB

Price not updating

The Bid/Ask prices on my IB sceen keep getting stuck (see example below AAPL ask stuck at 123.43 for thew last 5 minutes) it's almost impossible to scalp with this as I'm never sure the shown price is correct. This seems to happen on traded stocks every few minutes and unless I can fix it I'm going to need a new broker :(.

And yes it does happen on my "live" account also

Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

Attachments

• ibsrn.jpg
    ibsrn.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 790
Having just gone through their somewhat lengthy & labourious 'new online account' application process, I'm at the point where I need to deposit some spondoolies with them.

All their options to deposit the green stuff appear to suck...the only applicable one for us Brits being a wire transfer? Surely this makes for a costly way to conduct business (ie money out, money in...all wires?)

Whassgoinon?

All their options to deposit the green stuff appear to suck...the only applicable one for us Brits being a wire transfer? Surely this makes for a costly way to conduct business (ie money out, money in...all wires?)

Whassgoinon?

It's not very clear is it? In fact (and assuming you're going to be depositing £), you can just make an ordinary 3-day BACS bank transfer to their account in the UK. If you go through the rigmarole of the wire transfer, you'll see it gives you their UK bank details during the process. I agree though, first time I did it, I wasn't sure what was going on...

For your reference, you can also use our FX Trader or Book Trader to day trade. It provides our clients a different view and can be programmed to buy or sell with one click.

1. Considering we are members to over 60 exchanges, regulated by numerous regulators and contingent what our clients signs-up to trade, will determine the various exchange and risk disclosures we ask clients to sign. Sorry your point is taken that sometimes it may be a lot but we must adhere to the rules of the exchange and our regulators.

2. At the end of your online application you are asked to complete a deposit notification e.g., amount and sending bank. Afterwards, the system will automatically generate a page with all of the deposit particulars you need to give to your bank to fund your account.

Thanks for the info.

IMHO, your website is *way* too US centric for us Brits...can't you convince your US HQ to at least have a UK offshoot website, (ie a site which makes us feel less like illegal aliens?)

Still not sure I understand about the depositing options!

If I select the 'wire transfer' option (top one here)...

untitlednm5.jpg

Are you saying that if I select that option, I simply take the resulting print out of your BACS transfer details to my bank? I'm a little reluctant to complete this part, as I'm still waiting for funds to be deposited in the bank I'll be electing to transfer from,

Also, not being a US citizen, I selected Passport as ID. Presumably a certified copy is ok & where/when do I send it?

Oh yeah...one last question. I have to deposit US$5000? (or can I deposit the sterling equivalent...if so what amount do you deem that to be?!)

Hobby

1. We have a local office in London, near St. Paul's, where we hold free workshops periodically. Our site www.interactivebrokers.co.uk is for our UK and European clients that has been reviewed by our UK regulators. If something is not clear call us in London 020 7 776 7800.

2. Yes, take the resulting print out to your bank that denotes the banking instructions for your bank.

3. For an individual account we require a copy of your passport and utility bill (i.e., that is within the last six months).

4. You can send us a scanned copy of your passport and utility bill by email to [email protected] or by post to our European processing hub in Switzerland

Interactive Brokers (U.K.) Limited
Attn: Document Processing
Gotthardstrasse 3
6301 Zug
Switzerland

5. Contingent what base currency you selected during your online application determines what currency you should send us. For example, if you selected GBP, then you need to send us a minimum of $5,000 or GBP => 3,500 to open your account.

Ok thanks, the mist is clearing (can't be sure but perhaps I went in via your .com site rather than the .co.uk site ....would it have been clearer if I'd used .co.uk?!)

Anyway, I think I have all the answers for now - just one last comment though .....for a company that must know that its client base is reasonable savvy when it comes to all things financial, since when does US $5,000 equal £3,500?!!!!! At present exchange rates I make $5000 closer to £2,600 (the joys of being a Brit consumer eh?!)

Last edited:
Ok thanks, the mist is clearing (can't be sure but perhaps I went in via your .com site rather than the .co.uk site ....would it have been clearer if I'd used .co.uk?!)

Anyway, I think I have all the answers for now - just one last comment though .....for a company that must know that its client base is reasonable savvy when it comes to all things financial, since when does US $5,000 equal £3,500?!!!!! At present exchange rates I make $5000 closer to £2,600 (the joys of being a Brit consumer eh?!)
Hobby

Perhaps I can help with the Brit bit. After you have filled in the electronic details on the IB site to tell them how much you will be depositing you need to fill in a CHAPS transfer form from your bank. Assuming for the moment that your base currency is GBP you can specify the amount in GBP on the CHAPS form, which should correspond with the GBP amount in the IB funding confirmation. You will need to specify that you will pay the charges for the transfer, so that the amount actually transferred corresponds. I would suggest that you work out the rough exchange rate for either the minimum deposit required or the $25000 if you intend to be a pattern day trader on the US market. If you add a bit more then it should cover any exchange rate fluctuations during the transfer.

Keep a copy of everything you filled in and any changes the bank might make to your form - it's easier if you have to repeat the process !

Also take some ID along to the bank because they might require it for a CHAPS form for obvious reasons.

I would also recommend both the IB evening seminars or their archived webinars on their site as good intros to the platform

Charlton

Hobby

Perhaps I can help with the Brit bit. After you have filled in the electronic details on the IB site to tell them how much you will be depositing you need to fill in a CHAPS transfer form from your bank. Assuming for the moment that your base currency is GBP you can specify the amount in GBP on the CHAPS form, which should correspond with the GBP amount in the IB funding confirmation. You will need to specify that you will pay the charges for the transfer, so that the amount actually transferred corresponds. I would suggest that you work out the rough exchange rate for either the minimum deposit required or the $25000 if you intend to be a pattern day trader on the US market. If you add a bit more then it should cover any exchange rate fluctuations during the transfer.

Keep a copy of everything you filled in and any changes the bank might make to your form - it's easier if you have to repeat the process !

Also take some ID along to the bank because they might require it for a CHAPS form for obvious reasons.

I would also recommend both the IB evening seminars or their archived webinars on their site as good intros to the platform

Charlton

Charlton's comments above are correct and the CHAPS is quick. But your 'plan A' of using the details on a BACS transfer is also fine if you can wait 3 days, is free, and can be set up on-line if you have internet banking.