Best Thread Interactive Brokers

All replys from Interactive Brokers are from Interactive Brokers (U.K.) Limited which is a Group Company. Interactive Brokers is Authorized and Registered by the Financial Services Authority.

Any questions relating to Interactive Brokers Group company's, issues, and etc can be posted to this Interactive Brokers thread and will be answered accordingly.

Edited by Rossored: The user "Def" is also an IB employee, but these are seperate individuals using seperate nicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am contemplating opening an account and a very basic question I know but...

Why when I look at the demo charts does it come up with...

The application has been unable to connect to the HMDS server. Reconnection will be attempted....

And then nothing else happens and I have no data on the chart?

Also, I wanted to download trhe demo platform but it asks for a user/password unlike the window java option?

Any solutions anyone?

Dear Chrisw:

Our demo account online does not support all of our features or products due to a variety of reasons, e.g., market data restrictions.

You can contact our local UK office 020 7 776 7800 for an invitation to any of our FREE upcoming seminars i.e., where we provide live demonstrations of our technology, charts and etc. Alternatively we host webinars.

For your reference when using our demo Trader Workstation the username is "edemo" and password "demouser."

Last edited:
For those who have been using interactive brokers what is the best software out there that you use to trade multiple contracts and allows scaling out of positions. Also with the usual automatic trailing of stops and take profit targets set with one click.

Has anyone used Bracket trader or any other one out there please let me know.

thanks

I forgot to add "and easy to use"

Last edited:
coolTrader

I can highly recommend Bracket Trader - you can trade all the major products with it for free. To add new products you'll need to register for around 60GBP. I registered mainly to support the guy's efforts (larrysy), because it's excellent software and clearly written by a genuine futures trader.

You can define as many strategies as you like with different 1, 2 or 3 step exit strategies, stops and trailing stops, etc. For example I have two strategies defined for each product called "5LOT" and "10LOT" for setups of varying quality.

You can also buy @ bid / sell @ ask with additional undertick / overtick definitions. It also has a fast "ladder" (DOM) screen which is invaluable for very fast entries and exits.

Very easy to use and good support on the forum...

Here's a link to the website + support page:
http://www.bracket-trader.com
http://www.bracket-trader.com/phpBB2/index.php

HTH
Steve

I've used most of them at one point and keep a copy of bracket trader on my machine for backup but ...

If you want to scale in and out flexibly then bracket trader isn't as good as zeroline trader - basically it limits what orders you can place on the dom to keep you from stepping outside its rules. zlt allows much more flexibility. For example on zlt I might be long 2 contracts and place a target and 3 other limit exit orders. This allows me to take my place in the queue at each of the limit exit points ... and remove them if price action sugggests that the lower ones will be overshot. As soon as 2 contracts are sold zlt will cancel all other outstanding orders.

Ninjatrader is almost as flexible as ZLT. I understand also that button trader may be equally flexible (vs ZLT) and have a greater range of structures you can create but I havent tried it.

thanks in the past I have used tsim and this is quite basic. I am currently evaluating zero line and bracket.
I find that on first try zlt is not as intuitive as bracket trader... But I can see some limitations for now but will be looking more into it.

Thanks for the replies.

Another question for interactive brokers, When does normal trading hours begin for Idealpro forex? Is it 24hrs? please specify times in uk zone

Thanks

Interactive Brokers Forex trading hours start on Sunday evening at 23:30 GMT.
Then from 17:30 - 17:00 (EST), Monday to Friday.

Last edited:
Interactive Brokers said:
Interactive Brokers Forex hours are from 17:30 - 17:00 (Eastern Standard Time; +5 GMT)

Is this from monday to friday or from sunday evening to friday evening. This is not clearly specified on your site.

I am interested in opening an account with IB, but noticed IB seems to require a minimum of 100 prior trades to open an individual account.

Is this set in stone? I am a relatively new trader but wish to have a service like IB offers

Dear Powerage:

Thank you for your interest. Please contact us at 020 7 776 7801 in the UK so we can review your query.

Thank you in advance.

gbp/jpy

can someone please tell me what the spread is for the forex currency pair GBP/JPY with IB?? thanks in advance...........

TWS would not fill order...just freezes

Perhaps I can get an answer to this where IB chat would not help. I am a relatively new client trading futures, and many times now I get into a trade using TWS (IB's Trader WorkStation trading platform), then click the "T" for transmit, and see the "C" for cancel, meaning that my order has been transmitted and I can still cancel if I like. The only problem is that I keep waiting and waiting and waiting for the fill which never comes, and then I have to actually logout and login again, hoping that I can finally close my position which by then has generally moved against me (after being profitible in the beginning like it was today, and losing all profit when I finally got out after logging in and out.).

I went to IB Chat and asked about it, and was treated like this was the strangest thing they have ever heard, and no one has ever complained about this before. Then I went to the internet, did a search on problems with TWS, and got a whole bunch of confirmation at EliteTrader and other sites.

Is their an honest IB tech person who will not insult me by condescending to me and telling me that what I am experiencing is not really happening, or no one else has any problems, etc, and tell me what can be done about this??? There is NO problem with my broadband connection nor my high end desktop. Thanks!

Dear Client:

Please send the particulars to your problem, including the date and time of the order to [email protected] with your account id and copy [email protected]

Afterwards we will review your problem and contact you shortly.

The time is 00:17 GMT (Thursday, 16th February)

Last edited:
I have tried to do this three times using IB Chat

I tried three times to get an answer to this using IB Chat explaining ALL of the particulars, and was simply told that you did not receive the indication of an order, even though I saw absolute indication that I transmitted it on my side, since the "C" (cancel) order came up after I pressed the transmit "T". In fact I tried to press "C" to cancel the order after waiting over 6 minutes to get a fill, and it said that they cannot cancel it since it is still working! Six minutes working in a Globex market? Should have been filled in 3 seconds. Many people have complained about not getting fills using TWS and having it malfunction at the worst times, like when you need to get a position closed. This exact same thing has happened to me many times now, and it ruins one's faith in trading with you, and this is also discussed on EliteTraders and other review websites.

Why can't you simply admit that there is a problem with the software (which seems to have daily upgrades necessary to use it) as so many have already noted on the review sites? Denial is not the answer, and is a ludicrous policy when there are so many complaints. Give me a way to get around the problem, that would actually help! I have explained it to you clearly, just give a solution please. Don't try to push it under the table and get it off this thread and out of public view. It is a huge problem as anyone can see by doing Google searches on it. I have clearly explaiined it, now kindly give a solution how to deal with it if you are actually concerned with being honest here. Here is your chance to really shine or skuff yourself...

Thanks...

Please send the particulars to your problem, including the date and time of the order to [email protected] with your account id and copy [email protected]

Afterwards we will review your problem and contact you shortly.

The time is 00:17 GMT (Thursday, 16th February)[/QUOTE]

Actually the problem is not what you think it is.

There is nothing wrong with the software.

The problem emanates from your pc.

It has to do with the processing speed.

Alternative solutions:~

(a) check there are no programs running in the background.
or
(b) New faster machine.

Hope this helps.

right....

Well, I am using a new PC, way way beyond what the recommended sys reqs are for TWS. And the fact that I see the "C" means that the order has been transmitted, and that if their platform worked correctly, they should see that. No question about it. If the problem was my PC, then nothing would happen when I pressed the transmit "T", I certainly would not be seeing clear evidence that the order is "working". The problem is not my PC. It is TWS.

Are you seriously saying that everyone who complains about this, who complains about the often unstable TWS platform, the freezing interface, etc, etc...it is all due to their PC's and it is all their fault? C'mon Socrates! Have you researched the reviews on this? You sound so sure of yourself, not even acknowledging the many complaints besides mine, that one wonders if you might actually work for IB... :) I am just writing here what so many have written elsewhere. But this is from personal experience.

Anyway I am going to try next their more lightweight Webtrader platform (which has much less "functionality", but that may help it work), and hope that will at least not freeze on me. If I have consistent problems with that as well.... I will probably have to move to TradeStation.

Would still love to get a clear answer to this from IB...

Best wishes...

SOCRATES said:
Actually the problem is not what you think it is.

There is nothing wrong with the software.

The problem emanates from your pc.

It has to do with the processing speed.

Alternative solutions:~

(a) check there are no programs running in the background.
or
(b) New faster machine.

Hope this helps.

trader111,
can you remember when this happened, did the colour of the monitor change, ie the TWS platform ?

ps, I think the problem may lie with IB and not your machine !