Best Thread Interactive Brokers

A quick question: when you are trading in IB and you are in a position and all of a sudden you lost connection to IB. Do you have to call the Hong Kong branch just to close your transaction? Because that's what Customer Service told me when I asked them about that. If it's true, I can't find the logic on why I would have to call a long distance number just to CLOSE A POSITION on a US contract.

A quick question: when you are trading in IB and you are in a position and all of a sudden you lost connection to IB. Do you have to call the Hong Kong branch just to close your transaction? Because that's what Customer Service told me when I asked them about that. If it's true, I can't find the logic on why I would have to call a long distance number just to CLOSE A POSITION on a US contract.

hello
for me I use button trder as front end and I never have any problem with my stoploss whatever it can happen and I think it is the same for tws

Anyone know how I can setup a preset order to buy 2 contracts both with an automatic stop and 1 with a profit target - letting the other contract run?

I assume it's in the bracket order region, but can't figure out how to only exit 1 contract and leave the other.

Many thanks,

Use 2 entry orders both with same entry but different exit prices.

Was this yesterday? they posted a bulletin saying that the US call center was having problems due to external reasons, and to call either the European or Hong ones.

Last night, to be exact. Was trading on the EUR/US Forex going short and wanted to go out, but I noticed my trade buttons don't work. When I called Customer Service, they were closed so I waited until the morning and my buttons work again and I earned $700 (lucky for me, had it been going up.....). So when I asked them about what happened and what should I do if there's a technical problem and I have to close all my trades, they told me to call the Hong Kong branch, which pretty much threw me off the wall.

We support various world markets that trade different hours. Contingent the day and time of the day determines what call centre is available.

We support various world markets that trade different hours. Contingent the day and time of the day determines what call centre is available.

Still, does it require that I have to make a Long Distance call to Hong Kong just to close my transaction. As I stated above, I was trading the EUR/USD Forex going short and I wanted to close my position, but I noticed the commands are not working. So I called Customer Service for assistance but it was past the hours of operation, so I had to wait until the morning just to call them and tell them my problem. Fortunately, this was on a Paper Trading account, but what happens if this were a Live Account?

What happens if I happen to be in a position at a US Stock (say AAPL) and all of a sudden, I can't connect to the Internet, my PC crashed or the power in my home goes out, or IB's server crashed? Do I have to call Hong Kong or Europe and tell them "Hey, I can't connect to IB and I still have my position, could you close it for me, please?" while paying who knows how much is a minute for Hong Kong or Europe? By the time the Hong Kong/Europe guys (no offense) does all this processing and confirmation, and all that stuff, not only I may have lost hundreds or even thousands, of dollars on my position because of the time it takes to process my closing order on the phone, but I also have to pay for the long distance costs! To me, I find this completely absurd and it discourages me from continuing to use IB if that's how it works when a technical problem occurs in the middle of trading.

Refer to our website for contact details on the hours of our help desk.

We support trading 24 hours five days a week. Hence, contingent where you are calling from determines what helpdesk to call.

Hi,

I am considering opening up an account with Interactive Brokers from which i can day trade, and was just wondering if you can access London stock exchange FTSE AIM Shares such as SOLG.lse, WTI.lse, and BAO.lse

I tried to search for them on the web trader demo provided by the Interactive Brokers website but couldn't find these particular stocks, was this due to the demo being limited in its features?

If this is not the case i would appreciate any recommendations to DMA Brokers preferably based in the UK that do if any.

hope you can help.

cheers

Refer to our website for contact details on the hours of our help desk.

We support trading 24 hours five days a week. Hence, contingent where you are calling from determines what helpdesk to call.

Hi,

I am considering opening up an account with Interactive Brokers from which i can day trade, and was just wondering if you can access London stock exchange FTSE AIM Shares such as SOLG.lse, WTI.lse, and BAO.lse

I tried to search for them on the web trader demo provided by the Interactive Brokers website but couldn't find these particular stocks, was this due to the demo being limited in its features?

If this is not the case i would appreciate any recommendations to DMA Brokers preferably based in the UK that do if any.

hope you can help.

cheers

Hidden in the Obama legislation (HIRE) is the following 30 per cent withholding on payments to unrecognised foreign banks. I think it has taken effect on Jan 1. So, my question is if I wire funds from IB to a foreign bank is there a chance of having 30% with held? Which i would presumably only get back if I complete a IRS form, the complexity of which is amazing. If so which banks are ok and which are not? As a non-US resident will I be caught up in this problem? If I transfer shares to another broker, is this subject to the with holding tax?

"FATCA will:

* Impose a 30 per cent tax withholding on payments to 1) foreign financial institutions (can include trusts) that fail to identify US accounts, their owners and assets to the IRS, or 2) foreign corporations that do not supply the name, address, and tax identification number of any US individual with at least 10 per cent ownership;"

f you are a non-US person or entity, Interactive Brokers is required to have a valid form W8 certifying your country of tax residence at the time of application. You may update your W8 form at any time in Account Management. The form is straight forward and simple to complete.

Yes I understand that, however, this is new legislation, that effectively says if a foreign bank is not recognised all payments to that bank are subject to a 30% with holding tax.

Hi,

I have a question about combination orders. I am planning on opening an account next week and I've been testing the Java API with the TWS demo.

I keep getting errors when I send out combination orders with more than 2 legs. These orders are Stock + Option on the same underlying for example a straddle + stock position.

I want to find out are the combination orders still supported by TWS or is it just the case that the TWS demo is a bit wonky?

Thanks for any feedback.

Refer to the following link for more details about the combination orders we support

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...alizedorderentry/about_combination_orders.htm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've read that page previously but I need to create my own combos. I tried the "Pair or Leg-by-Leg" tab in the Combo Selection and the orders don't go through.

This is an example of what I've tried:

Combo:
buy 100 shares MSFT
buy 1 Apr11 Call Option
buy 1 Apr11 Put Option

price MKT
routing SMART

From the TWS demo, for some strange reason this order is not accepted. And it's the same with the Java API.

When I drop any of the legs the order goes through. I've tried changing the routing but that's not helping either.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If your Papertrader Account Management account is blocked after failed login attempts, does that mean your actual account will also be blocked? I just tried to login several times to my Papertrader account, but it wouldn't work allthough I'm pretty sure I gave the correct login + password. After 3 or 4 times I got a message they blocked the account due to several login attempts and that I have to contact their contact center ..

Perhaps it's a problem on my pc because I'm trying to do it on another pc, but I thought that didn't matter to view your Account Management. No I don't dare to try it with my real login.

If your Papertrader Account Management account is blocked after failed login attempts, does that mean your actual account will also be blocked? I just tried to login several times to my Papertrader account, but it wouldn't work allthough I'm pretty sure I gave the correct login + password. After 3 or 4 times I got a message they blocked the account due to several login attempts and that I have to contact their contact center ..

Perhaps it's a problem on my pc because I'm trying to do it on another pc, but I thought that didn't matter to view your Account Management. No I don't dare to try it with my real login.

If you are our client and you are still experiencing problems with your Paper Trading account, please contact our technical helpdesk.