Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Maybe they're just as glad that they don't have a customer that poses a risk potential to them as well.
Every broker will ask you for your net worth and sources of income. That's normal procedure.
IB is one of the best and most serious brokers in the industry.

How can I possibly be a risk to them? I would just buy shares and keep some cash. I specifically said I don't want to use any derviatives. The reality is that they're a risk to me.

1. I am using the latest version of tws with the latest version of java (1.6.0_10) and see no lag to Sierra Chart.

2. dodge, you are a risk to IB and other customers. Derivatives are not by their existence a risk and a trader who understands them and trades with controlled risk is not a problem (the banks didn't understand their risks and didn't manage them). A stock trader with margin is still a risk. If you buy XX and hold it in a down market until its using up your entire account then get a 7% down day you will get a margin call. If many of you get one, and a percentage refuse to pay then IB will have problems ... which will affect the rest of us.

More broker blowups have been caused by customers hit by margin calls on stocks than by derivative traders experiencing the equivalent (trading into negative equity).

there have been problems with historical data past two weeks on when using ib as your data provider . seems that it was caused by vender who cannot fix problem and ib will have it sorted by the open on sunday. that is from there reply on elite trader to the problem.

Interactivebrokers: What about Globex lumber?

InteractiveBrokers,

there is no way to route to Globex for the LUMBER contracts.

Will this not be offered to customers?

Lumber is at a low price so simple long positions can be reasonable safe for your customers to trade it.

Last edited:
Pbl with historical data

Hi guys,

I'm testing IB API with Excel.
I aim to use it as an automatic trading software.
But on the demo I can't download the forex historical data (particulary EUR/USD). It still involve an error : "Historical Market Data Service error message:No historical market data is available for the exchange 'IDEAL' and the security type 'Forex' and '1 d' and '1 hour'"

I need this datas to use my system (I'm on MT4 currently).

An idea ?

Thx

Hi guys,

I'm testing IB API with Excel.
I aim to use it as an automatic trading software.
But on the demo I can't download the forex historical data (particulary EUR/USD). It still involve an error : "Historical Market Data Service error message:No historical market data is available for the exchange 'IDEAL' and the security type 'Forex' and '1 d' and '1 hour'"

I need this datas to use my system (I'm on MT4 currently).

An idea ?

Thx

Try using the IDEALPRO exchange instead. IDEAL is for currency conversion, not trading, and generally covers volume < $25k, while IDEALPRO is the actual trading exchange.

Dear boardmembers, questions concerning compensation... might be interesting for some here.

I once held shares in Aurelian (tsx) however Kinross has succesfully acquired this company, and so they forced us to sell our shares. However, during the acquisition, my shares were frozen for 3 weeks. Great, from 3 october until today. Goes without saying, my shares have dropped in value like most people here. As a result, my NEW Kinross shares were liquidated IMMEDIATELY after the 3 week freezeout. This due to insufficient funds in account to cover the margincall. Could these 3 weeks have been overcome? Even without knowing there even was an acquisition or even a possibility for a better value per share (by becoming a dissenting shareholder)(This news was not brought to my attention unlike other shareholders...) ... I feel IB has not done there best to inform their shareholders, and they could have stabilized the situation a bit better by offering some form of insurance to those in the frozen situation considering no-one knows what was attainable at the end of the 3 weeks of no buying or selling....

Can one fight for compensation over these matters... ?

Thanks in advance, hope my story is clear,

Kind regards, Burn

Last edited:
Try using the IDEALPRO exchange instead. IDEAL is for currency conversion, not trading, and generally covers volume < $25k, while IDEALPRO is the actual trading exchange.

Thx for your answer. But when I use IDEALPRO for the exchange, it send me an other error : "Historical Market Data Service error message:HMDS query returned no data: EUR.USD@IDEALPRO Midpoint"

I can't work without the historical, the spot are not enough beacause I use the last extremums.

Have you subscribed to receive forex data on the IB platform ? Also have you enabled the API to send data to DDE ? If not then you wont get any data.

Paul

Have you subscribed to receive forex data on the IB platform ? Also have you enabled the API to send data to DDE ? If not then you wont get any data.

Paul

Yes Paul, all is good and I receive the spot EUR/USD in the ticker worksheet without problems.

Can I create my historical from the ticker ?

Last edited:
Someone has ever downloaded the forex historical data from Excel (with the API) ?

I fix the problem :
I was using this software : http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/twsDisclaimer.php?ib_entity=llc&twsdemo=1
But it was : http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=tws&ib_entity=llc

There is no difference, but now it works...

Just for fun I've another pbl now !

The historical data had only 2 decimals (1.24/1.25/1.26/...) but I need numbers with 4 decimals as the normal spot (1.2475/1.2488/1.2563/...).

How can I fix it ?

Hi Guys,

I have a IB account which I've used for trading stocks. I want to trade FX as well, and have IDEALPRO activiated (but not, I believe the ability to trade the larger FX exchange traded futures).

I can see how to place a market order, but cannot see how to place a stop order to open with a corresponding / attached 'if done' order either to put in a stop loss or a take profit limit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you.

Check for updates to Trader workstation

Keep getting this message when I fire up the hardware.
Any permanent solutions?

Thanks

Trading from Europe

I live in Europe Holland. I would like to optimize my executionspeed latency wise in regards to trading the European/US market.

I'm asking this because till lately I was only trading the US-market with quit satisfactory execution speed of new orders.

But recently I picked up trading Euro stocks as INGA from Smart. My limit and stop orders at Extra for instance now rest for ages before they get executed.

IB, do you have a page/info to optimize this?

Last edited: