Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Trader_Herry said:
I would like to have 3-4 connections from 3-4 computers to the same TWS platform.
1 connection to Webtrader (for emgergency purpose).
All use the funds in that one universal account to trade.

Yes, so 1 sole account with the ability to multi-connect to TWS (3-4 connections) and Webtrader (1 connection).

Do you have more details about this Lloyd's insurance? (Any other links?)
Your link given is read long ago. Still the questions in mind remain.

For an individual account you can only run one API connection at a time. You cannot run side by side the Webtrader and TWS for the same account.

Last edited:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...p?ib_entity=llc

Question:
1) What're clearing fees? Only for selling shares or shorting? Or for buying and selling/shorting?
2) How about regulatory fees? Will it charge differently for an non-US citizen?
3) What do I need to consider when I choose between "unbundled" and "bundled"? Any general advice is appreciated!

4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unbundled:

* Applied based on monthly cumulative trade volume summed across all stock and ETF shares at the time of the trade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does "all" here include all shares traded over different countries;
or are only "all US shares" counted toward the monthly cumulative volume?

Thanks!

Trader_Herry said:
1)

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/otherFees.php?ib_entity=llc#cancel
- Eurex option and futures TWS and API orders

Do you know where I can get the information about this market, Eurex?

A search on Eurex gives different results: http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/search.phpconfig=htdig&restrict=&exclude=&symbol=&description=&request_name=&searchbox=site&words=Eurex

It appears there're a few Eurex(?).
I'm confused.

Eurex website http://www.eurexchange.com/index.html

Trader_Herry said:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...p?ib_entity=llc

Question:
1) What're clearing fees? Only for selling shares or shorting? Or for buying and selling/shorting?
2) How about regulatory fees? Will it charge differently for an non-US citizen?
3) What do I need to consider when I choose between "unbundled" and "bundled"? Any general advice is appreciated!

4)

Unbundled:

* Applied based on monthly cumulative trade volume summed across all stock and ETF shares at the time of the trade.

Does "all" here include all shares traded over different countries;
or are only "all US shares" counted toward the monthly cumulative volume?

Thanks!

1. a) When your trade is executed it must be cleared or settled. That is, when a trade has occured and confirmed each party needs to submit trade instructions to the clearing house. Thus clearing refers to defining who is responsible and who has obligations for post trade and pre settlement. For the aforementioned, we act for the interests of our clients so we charge for this specific service.

b) We offer margined accounts and stock lending. And we pay interest for money in your account.

Please refer to the following link for more details
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/interest.php?ib_entity=uk#interest

2. Regulatory fees vary per exchange and product, not necessarily if you are a non US client.

3. Unbundled is a sliding scale. Thus the more you trade the less you pay. Please refer to the incremental sliding scale we offer. Then compare it against the volume you execute per month to analyse your projected savings i.e., unbundled v bundled. NOTE: Your account is defaulted to bundled but you can change is unbundled at anytime through your account management tool.

4. IB offers two pricing structures for stocks and ETFs in the US, bundled which is a fixed rate per contract, and unbundled which is cost plus based pricing. Unbundled pricing adds a fixed IB fee (which varies by volume) to the fees charged by the exchanges and regulators. Outside of the US only bundled pricing is available.

Last edited:
Interactive Brokers said:
For an individual account you can only run one API connection at a time. You cannot run side by side the Webtrader and TWS for the same account.

You did say 1 individual account has up to 2 user names, right?
So if I have 2 user names, isn't it possible to either log-in "to TWS on 2 computers" or "to both TWS or Webtrader"?

Which account would you advise me to open in the following case:
a) I need multi-login at different computers to TWS (3-4 connections) for trading strategies.
b) I need 1 log-in to Webtrader (for emgergency puropse, eg if TWS breakdown, I can liquidate my positions faster than phone [it might take a lot of ringing])

Thanks.

Trader_Herry said:
You did say 1 individual account has up to 2 user names, right?
So if I have 2 user names, isn't it possible to either log-in "to TWS on 2 computers" or "to both TWS or Webtrader"?

Which account would you advise me to open in the following case:
a) I need multi-login at different computers to TWS (3-4 connections) for trading strategies.
b) I need 1 log-in to Webtrader (for emgergency puropse, eg if TWS breakdown, I can liquidate my positions faster than phone [it might take a lot of ringing])

Thanks.

I will speak internally and get back to you...
In the interim are you an individual or instititutional client,? I ask because I need to know your profile to single the options available to you.

1. a) When your trade is executed it must be cleared or settled. That is, when a trade has occured and confirmed each party needs to submit trade instructions to the clearing house. Thus clearing refers to defining who is responsible and who has obligations for post trade and pre settlement. For the aforementioned, we act for the interests of our clients so we charge for this specific service.

b) We offer margined accounts and stock lending. And we pay interest for money in your account.

Please refer to the following link for more details
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/interest.php?ib_entity=uk#interest
1)
OK. So this means I will be charged no matter I'm buying/shorting shares (open positions), closing positions (buying/selling to cover). Do I get it right?

2. Regulatory fees vary per exchange and product, not necessarily if you are a non US client.
2)
There're 4 types of regulatory fees:
  • SEC Fees
  • NYSE 600TC fees
  • NYSE Regulatory Fees
  • NASD Regulatory Fees
a) As to SEC fees (for sales only), am I exempt from it if I'm non-US client?

b) NYSE market has 2 tpyes of fees: 600TC fees & Regulatory Fees:
What is 600TC? What does TC stand for?
Am I exempt from it if I'm non-US client?

c) The last one "NASD Regulatory Fees" is applied to NASDAQ, right?
Again am I exempt from it if I'm non-US client?

3. Unbundled is a sliding scale. Thus the more you trade the less you pay. Please refer to the incremental sliding scale we offer. Then compare it against the volume you execute per month to analyse your projected savings i.e., unbundled v bundled. NOTE: Your account is defaulted to bundled but you can change is unbundled at anytime through your account management tool.
I think whether I will get rebates (execute by limit orders), or get charges (execute by market orders) count too.

3)
Do you have any facilities which let user to set scenarios to calculate fees under unbundled and bundled plans, or anything similar to that?

4. IB offers two pricing structures for stocks and ETFs in the US, bundled which is a fixed rate per contract, and unbundled which is cost plus based pricing. Unbundled pricing adds a fixed IB fee (which varies by volume) to the fees charged by the exchanges and regulators. Outside of the US only bundled pricing is available.
4)
I realised there's only unbundled and bundled plans for US stock market only.

I realised only US shares can benefit from discounts of higher volume.

From the sound of it, the passage of "Applied based on monthly cumulative trade volume summed across all stock and ETF shares at the time of the trade " should really count ALL US stock and ETF shares.

In other words, I cannot count "ALL shares in US plus ALL other shares traded worldwide" towards the total volume and benefit from discounts of higher volume.

Am I correct?

1. You will be charged a brokerage fee anytime you execute a trade (e.g., open or close).
2. All fees are applicable regardless if you are a US or non US citizen. TC = NYSE Transaction Charge
3. NASD Regulatory Fees are applied to US Securities.
4. Non US shares are exempt from our unbundled sliding scale for US securities.

Based off your profile (i.e., you are an individual, you only want to pay for one minimum brokerage fee and market data fee per month, you want multiple users and etc..) the only account available to you is our individual account.

NOTE: Only, two users can access your Trader Workstation at the same time.

Based off your profile (i.e., you are an individual, you only want to pay for one minimum brokerage fee and market data fee per month, you want multiple users and etc..) the only account available to you is our individual account.

NOTE: Only, two users can access your Trader Workstation at the same time.
I thought you would discuss privately.
Anyway 2 is NOT enough, so either I have to switch to other firms or have another option.
What's the min charge if I want at least 3-5 connections?

> you only want to pay for one minimum brokerage fee and market data fee per month
not necessarily required, but the cheaper the better for sure.
As to market data fee, would it possible to have all user names share the same market data?
Could you explain a bit about that?

You mentioned the "family and friends" account.
What's it anyway? Can just 1 individual apply this type of account?
For this type of account, do I need to have any extra charges?

Trader_Herry said:
I thought you would discuss privately.
Anyway 2 is NOT enough, so either I have to switch to other firms or have another option.
What's the min charge if I want at least 3-5 connections?

> you only want to pay for one minimum brokerage fee and market data fee per month
not necessarily required, but the cheaper the better for sure.
As to market data fee, would it possible to have all user names share the same market data?
Could you explain a bit about that?

You mentioned the "family and friends" account.
What's it anyway? Can just 1 individual apply this type of account?
For this type of account, do I need to have any extra charges?

1. A maximum of two users can access an individual account at one time. If you want multiple users to access and view data you can open up more than one account, although each account would be segregated (seperate from the other) and seperate minimum brokerage and market data fees would apply.
2. Market data terms, conditions and fees come from the exchange. Each exchange has different conditions. Please refer to the following link for more details about market data agreements http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/legalDocuments/marketDataAgreements.php?ib_entity=uk
3. Refer to the following link for more particulars about the Friends and Family Account
http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/accounts/advisors/advisorsMain.php?ib_entity=uk

I become confused after I have read [font=&#26032]a few examples offered[/font] on your website.

It would be great if you could tell me exactly how and when they will be charged (or provide links which have such explanations). Thanks you!

To your reference, there're 4 types of regulatory fees:
1. SEC Fees
2. NYSE 600TC fees
3. NYSE Regulatory Fees
4. NASD Regulatory Fees

1)
In the examples, regardless of whether the shares are bought or sold, SEC fees are charged anyway. I assume they're charged across all US exchanges BUT ONLY WHEN shares are sold or shorted.

Did I get it wrong?

2) & 3)
Do these 2 fees apply to NYSE only?

If not how and when do they apply?

4)
I see there're "NASDAQ Regularoty[sic] Fee" & "NASD Regulatory Fee"!

Are they the same? If not, what is "NASDAQ Regularoty[sic] Fee"?

You say it is applied to US securities. However it doesn't from the examples shown.

It is applied sometimes, not sometimes. Very confused!

How and when do they apply?

[More Question]
5)
How do you deal with the fractions?
Do you charge fractions? [From the examples, it appears not]
If not, do you use rounding? Or Rounding down? Or rounding up?

6)
As to ECN fees, are they "direct and complete pass-through" costs/rebates?
Or IB determines what the ECN fees/rebates are to its customers?
Thanks!

Last edited:
1. A maximum of two users can access an individual account at one time. If you want multiple users to access and view data you can open up more than one account, although each account would be segregated (seperate from the other) and seperate minimum brokerage and market data fees would apply.
2. Market data terms, conditions and fees come from the exchange. Each exchange has different conditions. Please refer to the following link for more details about market data agreements http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/legalDocuments/marketDataAgreements.php?ib_entity=uk
3. Refer to the following link for more particulars about the Friends and Family Account
http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/accounts/advisors/advisorsMain.php?ib_entity=uk
If I opened 2 separate accounts, do I need to register by 2 people, that is I can NOT open 2 universal accounts by me only?
Also I don't think I can use the same fund in 2 universal accounts, right?
If negative, this is not the solution then.

Your link is the advisor account.
I'm not going to charge people. It's solely used by us to trade one single fund.
What makes it special from 2 separate accounts?
Can we use the same market data?
Are we just charged one activity minimum or not?

PS: I read there's Advisor Registration Requirements
I don't think I can satisfy this requirement, as an individual trader managing several connections.

Last edited:
Trader_Herry said:
I become confused after I have read [font=&#26032]a few examples offered[/font] on your website.

It would be great if you could tell me exactly how and when they will be charged (or provide links which have such explanations). Thanks you!

To your reference, there're 4 types of regulatory fees:
1. SEC Fees
2. NYSE 600TC fees
3. NYSE Regulatory Fees
4. NASD Regulatory Fees

1)
In the examples, regardless of whether the shares are bought or sold, SEC fees are charged anyway. I assume they're charged across all US exchanges BUT ONLY WHEN shares are sold or shorted.

Did I get it wrong?

2) & 3)
Do these 2 fees apply to NYSE only?

If not how and when do they apply?

4)

You say it is applied to US securities. However it doesn't from the examples shown.

[More Question]
5)
How do you deal with the fractions?
Do you charge fractions? [From the examples, it appears not]
If not, do you use rounding? Or Rounding down? Or rounding up?

6)
As to ECN fees, are they "direct and complete pass-through" costs/rebates?
Or IB determines what the ECN fees/rebates are to its customers?
Thanks!

For your reference,

Remove Liquidity: Orders that are immediately executed against an existing bid or offer on an exchange's or ECN's order book.
Add Liquidity: Adding an order to an exchange or ECN's order book before being executed.

SEC short fees only apply when you sell US shares.

NYSE 600TC fees, are applied to NYSE shares.

US shares are traded in decimals.

Thanks for your replies.

For your reference,

Remove Liquidity: Orders that are immediately executed against an existing bid or offer on an exchange's or ECN's order book.
Add Liquidity: Adding an order to an exchange or ECN's order book before being executed.
So are the fees shown in your website "direct & complete pass-through", or IB-determined?
The reason I ask this is if the answer is the former, I can look at exchange website to further understand the charges.

NYSE 600TC fees, are applied to NYSE shares.
How about NYSE regulatory fees?
How and when applied?

How about this question:

US shares are traded in decimals.
But how many decimals? 2 decimal places?
How about the rounding issues?

-------

How about my account issue?
What options are the best in my situation?

Friends and Family accounts?
Or 2 separate accounts?

As to your link about "Friends and Family accounts", apart from the first part (short introduction), most of the rest info are simply the repetitions of introductions to IB & its features (redirects/links to different websites). Not directly talk about this special account.

The reasons for multi-user accounts are for more connections.
I need at least I can use the whole same fund to trade in multi-user accounts.
At best, the volume traded and all sorts of interest/commission calculation is based on trading from ALL user-names (accounts), NOT each-by-each.

As to market data, it's great if we can use the same source. Not really matter by the way.

As to activity min, it doesn't really matter.

Any advice?
Thanks so much for your long support and help!

1.You can refer to the exchange websites for more particulars about exchange and regulatory fees.
2. NYSE fees apply when you are trading NYSE shares as our examples denote.
3. NASDAQ fees apply when you are trading NASDAQ fees as our example denote.

What is your trading experience e.g., how many years? how many trades per year?

NYSE and NASDAQ Total Volume SYMBOL

Hi!

what are the IB NYSE and NASDAQ total volume symbols to do the intraday charts?.

i saw it on the web site as VOL-NYSE but it does n't seem to work.

Thanks in advance
bkr

bkr said:
Hi!

what are the IB NYSE and NASDAQ total volume symbols to do the intraday charts?.

i saw it on the web site as VOL-NYSE but it does n't seem to work.

Thanks in advance
bkr

Please try when the markets are open.

fees for ES, YM, NQ

I am UK resident and going to open an account with IB to daytrade futures (ES, YM, NQ). However, I am completely confused about fees and margins.

1) Commisions for trading ES, YM and NQ are 4-5 USD (round turn) per contract. But my account, I guess, will be in British Pounds. Will I pay corrency conversion fees in addition on each transaction? If I open a position 5 times a day on the same symbol, I will overpay a lot of additional commisions over 4-5$ comparing to american traders - is that correct?

2) if current price of YM future is 11000 how much money do I have to have on my account to maintain 1 contract during a day? What if I keep it overnight?

Thank you