Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Charting Software

Can you please recommend charting software for use with an IB account which is capable of displaying the bid/offer or mid price from IB (they all seem to display the "LAST" only)?

Ninja cannot do this
Sierra cannot do this

Don't know why - seems like a pretty basic requirement.

The reason is that the GBP futures LAST price can sometime lag the bid/offer (in early EU), so the charts are slow to respond when using the "LAST" price...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi will like to know if ib's chart works with the IdealPro data. My comes up blank does anyone use it?

c6ackp said:
Can you please recommend charting software for use with an IB account which is capable of displaying the bid/offer or mid price from IB (they all seem to display the "LAST" only)?

Ninja cannot do this
Sierra cannot do this

The reason is that the GBP futures LAST price can sometime lag the bid/offer (in early EU), so the charts are slow to respond when using the "LAST" price...

Any ideas?

Thanks

c6

Amibroker has a plug-in for IB. When you configure the database you can specify whether the price is Bid/Ask or Mid-point as shown in the attachment

Charlton

Attachments

• IB-Amibroker.zip
    168.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
coolTrader said:
Hi will like to know if ib's chart works with the IdealPro data. My comes up blank does anyone use it?

coolTrader

It does work with IdealPro data. Here's a sample with the chart parameters options shown. You first click on the currency pair and choose chart. Right click on the chart to alter parameters.

Charlton

Attachments

• idealpro chart.zip
    180.4 KB · Views: 202
c6ackp said:

Ninja cannot do this
Sierra cannot do this

Any ideas?

Thanks
Here is QuoteTracker (http://www.quotetracker.com/) with IB for quotes and trading, and IDEALPRO (Forex) charts, including pivot points, various indicators and trendlines. To have the chart show bid/ask, you would just right click on the chart and select VIEW/Show Bid/Ask)

Click here to see image

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently use IB for FTSE futures. Considering for FX, but I have to say I am a bit confused about the actual "amount" to trade. Obviously coming from 3 years of Spread betting you get use to trading £££s per point. With a index future like the FTSE that's straigh forwardi.e £10 for 1 contract. But reading about fx it all gets a bit more blury. :rolleyes:

Also when joining IB I think you get FX feed free anyway. But having problems locating the epics for FX on the workstation. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

To enter the IDEALPRO symbols into TWS, enter the underlying currency into TWS. For example: EUR and hit TAB. Now a popup menu comes up where you select the type of symbol. Select CASH.

A window will come up where you get to choose some the exchange and currency to pair it with. Select IDEALPRO and then the currency you want. For example, USD, and click OK or ADD

That will add a line in TWS for IDEALPRO EUR.USD

Interactive Brokers said:
There are a number of third party add-on's that connect to our Trader Workstation and provide various benefits and features.

Please refer to the following link for more particulars http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/tools/commercialTools.php?ib_entity=uk
IB
I don't know if you can answer this, but if Amibroker or an Amibroker user are reading,
Is it possible to show both BID and ASK simultaneously on the same chart (AMIBROKER) ? The instructions that I have read suggest that for IDEALPRO, only one of these can be shown on a chart, because either BID or ASK are configured within the database setup ?

Charlton

Jerry Medved said:
Here is QuoteTracker (http://www.quotetracker.com/) with IB for quotes and trading, and IDEALPRO (Forex) charts, including pivot points, various indicators and trendlines. To have the chart show bid/ask, you would just right click on the chart and select VIEW/Show Bid/Ask)

Jerry
That's a useful link. I have downloaded Quote Tracker and it looks as if it will handle the IB Forex API nicely. It doesn't appear to have all the bells and whistles in terms of formula programming that my suggestioin, Amibroker does, but then these are not necessarily needed. I'm prices and patterns and this looks like it might do the trick with IB.

Have you made any comparison with IB's own charting capability ?

Charlton

Charlton,

QuoteTracker charting is far more feature rich than the charts in TWS. As for custom formulas, QT does not do custom indicators - for that AmiBroker would be a better bet. However, QuoteTracker user defined PaintBars feature does support customized formulas and satisfies the requirements for the vast majority of the users. In QT, hit F1, then search on Paintbars.

Jerry Medved said:
Charlton,

QuoteTracker charting is far more feature rich than the charts in TWS. As for custom formulas, QT does not do custom indicators - for that AmiBroker would be a better bet. However, QuoteTracker user defined PaintBars feature does support customized formulas and satisfies the requirements for the vast majority of the users. In QT, hit F1, then search on Paintbars.

Jerry
Thanks for the information. I note also that you can trade directly from Quote Tracker. I will certainly give it a trial on a demo account.

Charlton

Jerry Medved said:
Charlton,

I have not been able to use ib's chart. I had downloaded quote tracker some weeks ago but never got round to using it. As soon as I saw this post I went straight to set it up and it is brilliant.!

I just need to get used to all the functionalities for maximum benefits.

Thanks for that.

What data feed Can you use to use via IB ( or another broker) to trade currency futures?

Neil

Have you looked at Currenex platform, all majors are 1 pip spread all the time.you need a $35,000 account to trade interbank prices

call Graeme 0207 796 5443 if you are intrested, but these are spoy prices not fututres. I still prefure futures myself

Index - thanks

Thanks Index but I meant currency Futures not spot forex.

Neil

when you trade EURUSD Futures, do you base you signals on the cash/spot charts, or do you use future charts for signals.