Installing Windows 7 on New System

Rufus_Leakey

229 107
Can people give a value out of 5 for likeliness that I cock something up by just popping in the disc and attempting to install W7.

It should work, according to
If you use Windows 7, you can still keep using it. Heck, you can even install Windows 7 on a new system. Windows Update will still download all the patches Microsoft released before ending support. Things will keep working on January 15, 2020 nearly the same as they did on January 13, 2020.

Reactions: Nowler

Nowler

Experienced member
1,527 229
It should work, according to

Thanks for posting that mate.
I'm now on the fence about trying W7 and attempting to upgrade for free.

W7 is on it's way to me, as too is my new system. I'll have a think about it between now and then.

2,376 663
I have read of situations where installing Windows 7 on Ryzen has encountered difficulties with implementing USB ports which could mean that your keyboard/mouse USB connections may not work and therefore give you major problems. This can be countered by using the old-fashioned PS/2 connector (which your new motherboard possesses) – but do you possess an old-fashioned PS/2 keyboard & mouse?

If you go down the Windows 7 installation route security should not be a major problem since you won't connect to the Internet until the time of activation and if you did pick up anything it can most likely be cleaned up. As I see it, the biggest unknown in your case is the quality/licensing heritage of your purchased copy of windows 7. As a general rule the cheaper the purchase the more likely you are to have problems – there are many counterfeit copies doing the rounds in addition to reissued/reused/redundant corporate copies which may or may not install/activate. The only way to find out is to go through the install process. The most likely worse case scenario is that you end up with an installation that neither works or activates– In which case you could just reinstall windows 10 (you would need access to another Internet-connected machine to make/download installation media) and bring the machine back to the state in which it was delivered to you. It's just possible that if you have trouble with the USB ports you could get yourself into (a non-expert's position) where you can't boot the machine and finding yourself needing expert help. I would also strongly advise you to have an alternative means of connecting to the net where at least you can seek advice.

There are 2 likely outcomes to your situation: (1) it all goes okay and eventually you end up with an activated Win10 or (2) you experience a whole load of hassle, learn a lot but end up with the machine where you started. Keep us informed– I will be interested to know the outcome. Also, if you have any further details of your Win 7 purchase that may give some extra guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nowler

Nowler

Experienced member
1,527 229
I've managed to activate Windows 10 for free after googling searching a few things.

Anyone want to buy Windows 7 off me?
Will swap for some magic beans :)

Last edited:

axaxi

6 0
are you sure?? it's out of date

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock