Information on Optiver tests

Hey Niceguy,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, I did see the sourcecode but I wouldn't say tht it's that hard to read. It's useful. But I got lucky as we speak, i.e. found out someone who can get me a computer (non-work of course). I'm really curious to see the level of difficulty in the test. I have some idea, but I do hope that the questions wouldn't look anything like "0.3/0.45 + 0.75 * 12". Do they?

Also, funny enough, on the test invitation email it was mentioned that candidates should also be prepared for partial fractions - and so far in all the posts I have read, I haven't heard anyone speak about partial fractions. I wonder how to prepare for that.

Thanks a lot for your kind help niceguy.

What I meant was more that the source code is messy rather than hard to read. I didn't really put any effort in making the code general and I just dumped everything in one file.

To answer your questions, The questions don't look like what you mentioned, I have only seen single operations in the test and have coded accordingly.
When it comes to partial fractions, I'm sure what they meant is something like that: "Thus the partial fraction decomposition may be seen as the inverse procedure of the more elementary operation of addition of algebraic fractions, that produces a single rational function with a numerator and denominator usually of high degree." (from Wikipedia). Those have been coded and you won't have to use the cover up rule or anything like that. I mean it would be pretty hard in 6 seconds per question. It's really pretty straightforward as you'll see.

Hope you'll enjoy the small simulator and good luck on the test.

Actually, i just took a look at my invitation, and there is no mention of partial fractions. Maybe your test is a different one. If it is mentioned that it is an 8 minutes test. It probably is the same one. If they mention some other time or don't mention any at all. You probably will be taking a different test, although if you're applying for a trader position, I wouldn't see why.
I would just mention that I cannot assess those things at a 100% as I haven't seen the e-mail. Also, although I really don't think so, please be aware that the actual question types on the test might differ. If you encounter any other type of question, you can inform me of it and I might get around to coding the question type whenever I have time. I doubt such a thing would happen anytime soon though.

Thanks for your response - I'll keep that in mind.

On a related note, I've been practicing on your simulator - been scoring consistently 45-47. I once printed all the questions and attempted on paper - I was much quicker that way. A lot of time is wasted searching for answers in the available options and then pressing the right key!

I don't think questions are that hard, but finding answers and then entering it is taking a lot of time.

Based on your experience, how many mixed fraction questions appear in the test? I'm pretty good with decimals, but mixed fractions are tricky, because there answer is also in mixed fraction and typically a multiple of the actual answer. The passing score of 54 that you talk of - is that set by optiver or it's your estimate of what it would take for them to pass you?

Thank you once again for taking the time.

Hey again,

Yeah, I guess the answer I/O isn't optimal. If I were you, I would try keeping four fingers (of left hand) on the 1,2,3,4 keys and a finger of your other hand consistently on the Enter key, in order to make it go faster. The actual test is easier for that, you just need to click on the answer, and you go immediately to the next question.

54 is their passing score too, and there are roughly as many mixed fractions questions as in the simulator (1/8)th, maybe a little less though, and the options are just as tricky as in the simulator. Although from your question you might have been talking about normal addition and substractions of fractions. I would say the simulators are slightly harder, although the given answers are also quite tricky in the actual test and are usually multiples of the actual answer.

Cheers

Hey there,

I just re-read your message and realised that you state that the test is on computer! For the one in London, they stated the test is "paper and pencil". Just wondering where you had given the test? I suppose not London, erh?

Nope, unless you're in London or Amsterdam, you're doing it on the computer. Although the questions are essentially the same from what I hear. And people who pass it on the computer have to redo it on site apparently to prove they passed without cheating.

Mate

I passed the tests! I surprised myself as I never really thought I can actually do it on the day - there were so many distractions.

I was writing to thank you for all your advice - if you're ever in London, PM me.

I've now received invite for a telephone interview - would you happen to know what to expect?

Hey mate,

Great to hear about the test. As I actually didn't pass it myself (would have liked to have my code for the simulator back then :S ) I can't really tell you anything more about the rest. I would tell you to look on the forum and places like glassdoor etc... You should find some interview questions on that site. I'm guessing you'll get a lot of brain teasers, probably very little finance questions as it's a prop shop. And from what I heard, you might have two other tests or something like that. I really am not sure though, as I said, I haven't been there.

Anyway, I'm glad you got through and that I could be of help. I'll definitely PM you if I'm in London. I was planning to go there by the end of November anyways, so I'll keep you in touch.

Hey there,

I can completely understand but you've done a lot of good and such efforts are never wasted - like they say, the one who helps others get back ten folds in return, albeit in different type or form. But to be honest, the really difficult part were the sequences - sequences were nothing like what i had seen before.

Anyway, keep me posted on London - in the meantime, I'll need to prep hard for this.

Take care and God bless.

Oh, ok, so you did the other two tests too already. So essentially from what I heard, the hard part is over. For brain teasers, I know this site has a lot of material if you want to train your mind (although the site looks childish, some questions are way harder than what you could get in an interview): Braingle: Brain Teasers, Riddles and Puzzles
I'd look at the math, logic and maybe logic-grid type questions. That should get you mostly set for the itw, and again, look at glassdoor, those are actual interview questions. The most important is to have them like you. I got past the last round at one of their competitors and didn't get an offer just cause there was bad chemistry... but that part is mostly luck I guess.

Cheers

Niceguy

Hey! Congrats on the test!

Is there anything that I should know in regards to the program taht was different from the exam?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mate

I passed the tests! I surprised myself as I never really thought I can actually do it on the day - there were so many distractions.

I was writing to thank you for all your advice - if you're ever in London, PM me.

I've now received invite for a telephone interview - would you happen to know what to expect?

Niceguy - thanks for your advice. I'll keep that in mind. And yes, I've done the two tests as well, there are no more tests from what I understand. First one I would say was quite easy, just a matter of speed and accuracy. Also about keeping your head cool when you're sitting very close to other people (which can be a distraction at times) and everyone's pacing through the sheet with some having their unusual ticks and purs.

Lockbox - There were a few differences from the programme. There is more focus on fractions than is stressed on the simulator, but honestly speaking, the simulator is by far the best and the most comprehensive tool for the preparation. I had actually done most of my preparation before that, once I came across the simulator, it was mostly about speed - just go crazy on it, one after another after another. But don't try to do this all the time, maybe wake up early morning and then do it. Just choose a time when you're relaxed.

As for the exam day, just keep your head cool - I saw some people had so high expectations of themselves that when they saw the test (and realised it's tougher), that they just got up and left. So it's all about struggling through those questions you can't do in head so easily.

AND, by absolutely NO means should you try to use a pencil and paper for any questions on the test - I had removed the scrap paper they provided from my desk to avoid the temptation, but do everything in your head and just keep your pencil on the answer script at all times. even if you think it's taking longer - trust me, it is not.

Rest should be fine - this test is more about your state of mind on the day you have the test than anything else. Just relax the day before - seriously, just relaxed so next day you're fresh as a morning dew on the grass. And on the day, once you get the paper - just go, no looking back/around.

All the best

Did you have to do the trading simulator shown on tradertest.org? If so, what is the strategy here?

What do they consider a passing Mark?

Thank you!

I'm currently at Technical screening with their head of trading and haven't yet been given a simulator test.

Can anyone please give some suggestions on what to expect? Diversity of topics, difficulty, etc? It's a 30 min phone call.

Hey, I have been asked to see them at Amsterdam where there will be longer and more intense interviews with more traders - I've been asked to study up on derivatives and options. I'd appreciate thoughts/comments from anyone who has been there and done that. Anyone with similar experience? I'd appreciate suggestions of how to prepare, etc.

Thanks - much appreciated.

hi mate,

i have passed the first 3 tests with optiver and there is a 30-minute phone interview coming up next.
would you shed me some light on what they are going to ask in this call?

thanks