Incorrect volume

annayya

I am curious about what could cause the volume traded of a stock to be incorrect. Hoping someone could read below and advise.

Opening share price is 11 cents. It dropped to 10.5 cents on a volume of 38000. A few minutes later there was a bid of 3000 at 11 cents and ask of 38000 at 11.5 cents. The share price stayed at 10.5 cents.

• I bought 33 shares at 11.5 cents which reflected in the volume although the share price still remained at 10.5 cents. The volume increased from 38000 to 38033
  • Then I bought 930 shares at 11.5 cents to see what happens, again no change in the share price as it remained at 10.5 cents but this time the volume didn't change. It remained at 38033.
  • So I sold the 930 shares at 11 cents, again the share price still remained at 10.5 cents and the volume didn't change. I don't understand how the volume remained at 38033 when it should be at 39893.
  • All this time, the bid and ask volume mentioned above did not change. An hour later the entire bid portion of 3000 was fulfilled for 11 cents. The volume now updated to 41033 and the share price changed to 11 cents. My two transactions of 930 shares each are still missing in the volume.

I know the share price doesn't always reflect the last price shares traded at but I thought the volume should always reflect any buying and selling. This is weird. Can someone advise if this is normal where the volume can go missing and what could be causing it.

Last edited:
Who is you broker? It could just be a dark pool or worse, are you sure you are not trading unknowingly in a simulator? We all remember Nonko trading scam...

Who is you broker? It could just be a dark pool or worse, are you sure you are not trading unknowingly in a simulator? We all remember Nonko trading scam...

I made all three transactions on Questrade and it was not a simulator. Below you can see the 33 shares bought but not the 930 shares bought and sold.
I usually don't pay attention to the volume but looked into this out of curiosity as its a small company.

Capture.jpg

This is the total volume of 61,033 on Friday, July 28

Last edited:
I made all three transactions on Questrade and it was not a simulator. Below you can see the 33 shares bought but not the 930 shares bought and sold.
I usually don't pay attention to the volume but looked into this out of curiosity as its a small company.

Capture.jpg

This is the total volume of 61,033 on Friday, July 28

Questrade is a reputable company, so your money are safe - guaranteed by the Canadian government up to 1Mil - (if you are Canadian),so it could have been a bug in their system system or a dark pool...