I'm getting a new PC & don't know where to start!

ChartMan

nope

buying from dell and getting on-site insurance means that even if you blow up the power supply, because you loaded up the computer with a load of monitor boards, and the power flicks on and off in your home and blows the power supply up

you call dell up and next day a guy comes round - walks in - fixes the computer and walks out a few minutes later - no questions - no debates

they even sent an engineer round with a tiny clip that was missing and meant tbe floppy disk was loose

i hate recomending anyone - cause its bound to go wrong - but dell offer such good value and such a good service - not hard to see why that kid, dell, went from picking his nose to having one of the major US companies, and therefore the world

gateway - though - the worst service in the world and where are they now!

Ok, I don't post very often, but I did make the mistake of buying a Mesh PC 3 years ago. Unless u r very competent with PC's, you really don't want to experience Mesh "customer service", it put me off mail order for a year. My PC was delivered with faulty RAM and Hard drive but they had me doing reinstalls for a week before admitting the fault. It then took a futher 3 weeks before it returned to me. No appology.

edit - I would agree with chartman that buying locally could save you a whole lot of bother in the long run

I've mentioned before, on-site warranty would've saved me a lot of grief. You can't trade when your pc keeps crashing.
You're never concentrating. Always wondering what will go wrong next.

Just had a quick look. Chop and change as you like:

(Nov 25m) Dimension 2400c 2.4GHz
Includes Free Memory Upgrade + Money Off! £653.45

£767.80

Standard Features: Intel 845GV+ chipset
Equipped with Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system
Midnight Grey Micro-Tower Chassis with 6 USB Ports and 3 PCI Slots
Integrated AC'97 Audio
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
Integrated 10/100 Pro Ethernet
Norton AntiVirus 2003 (with 90 days free virus updates)
Dell Picture Studio Standard
No Floppy Drive as standard
Please Note:If you choose a 15" Flat Panel Monitor, you will have to wait 4 weeks for delivery - Dell recommends a 17" flat panel instead for enhanced viewing capabilities!

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (Why not upgrade to Windows® XP Professional?)

Online Memory Promotion!: 512MB DDR RAM (Includes 128MB Free) (+ GBP £80)

Online Discount - Money Off!: Money Off Included!

Enhanced Support Packs: 3 Year On-Site Next Business Day Service Support - Dell Recommends

Axim X5 Pocket PC: Not Included

Processor Upgrade: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.20GHz (+ GBP £80)

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: No Floppy Drive

Hard Drive: 40GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive

Optical Drives: 48x DVD/CD-ReWriter Combo Drive

Monitor: Dell 19" Value (17.9" VIS) Monitor (+ GBP £70)

Home Installation: Not Included

Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers

Modem: Dell 56k Data Fax modem

Video Editing: Not Included

Digital Photography: Dell Picture Studio Standard Edition (note: contains a 21 use trial version of Paint Shop Pro)

Software: Microsoft® Works 7.0

Wireless Connectivity: Not Included

Keyboard: Dell Standard PS2 Keyboard

Mouse: Dell 2 button Wheel Mouse

Price excl.VAT VAT Rate Price incl.VAT
System £653.45

17.5% £767.80

Total Delivery Charge £49

17.5% £57.58

Total £702.45

£825.38

That's not too sad :cheesy:

I ordered my Dell over the phone so that I could confirm the spec against my requirements and they still honoured their online discount and an additional online discount I found on another pc website. I would personally go with their 17" TFT which I find superb with trading/games/DVDmovies.

I've had mixed results with Dell. My first PC worked fine and never had any cause for complaint. My laptop I bought whilst I was living over in Hong Kong was superb at first. The motherboard blew shortly after getting it (it objected to a Kylie CD) but the engineer was round next day to replace it no questions asked. On getting back to the UK though my DVD locked regions too early and Dell refused to have anything to do with it (the Technical Support person informing me that hardware doesn't go wrong, like "HELLO" you've already had to replace a fried motherboard...). The keyboard is now playing up a bit but I couldn't face dealing with UK Tech support anymore, especially as it is a chargeable number.

wysi

i've got a dell laptop, and service has been excellent... their next day on-site service is just great... as it happens, i just called em yesterday and am getting a new screen, keyboards and mouse pad and mouse stick.,... wysi - ya may wanna go thru bother of giving em a ring.....

laptop is approaching 3 yrs old, and warranty is due to expire... its a pIII 750, 256 RAM, 18.1 Gb .... does what i wawnt it to, don't need to replace so will prob just extend warranty.....